Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Copper Gulch
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Caveman
Get yourself better, Brandon - the rocks will still be there, waiting...... wink.gif
Caveman
QUOTE (NewRockHounder @ Oct 12 2014, 06:11 PM) *
A no go for me. Wish I could have gone but to short a notice. Both on Caveman's end and mine - equally to blame. Need at least 14 days notice ahead of sched. trip. Anywho, hope you guys find some cool stuff - hopefully ya'll won't get rained out as well.

Till next time -

Colin

Trying to put together one more trip before the weather suts it down - a week from next Saturday or Sunday. More later..... Sorry about the short notice - it just came together. My fault, not yours. The next one will be better planned out - this is my 2nd "real" prospecting trip - the first rockhounding one, too. Still, it's more for fun than profit - The learning experience has been great, but I'm still on the low end of the curve. Next year, though - LOOK OUT! There's a Caveman comin'!
Dypheron
QUOTE (Caveman @ Oct 12 2014, 07:14 PM) *
Get yourself better, Brandon - the rocks will still be there, waiting...... wink.gif

Should have taken a pull off the ol' mason jar this morning, I probably would be feeling better already.
MikeS
Looks like I have fixed my car issues. I will be there +2.
fenixsmom
Have fun out there guys! Stay warm, hypothermia ia a bitch!
NewRockHounder
Welppppp I should've effin gone..... learned today at work that I got shafted for management yet again (5th time).... and wasn't really needed today... SOaFB! Time to look for a new job... out of one depression spell and on to the next... at least this time, it's just B.S. work related, but still... I can't EFFIN win!
Crusty
Had a great day kicking rocks with Caveman, Mike (and his brother & friend). Very cool to be out in the field with folks who actually know what they're doing, instead of my usual assessment of my finds, "ooohhh shiney!" :)

We found some copper (Not sure of the spelling, I believe Mike said it was "calcicola?); some small garnets (I don't think anyone actually got any that they took with them); and lots of Epidote.

Here are the couple pics I took.

Thanks for putting it together Caveman!
MikeS
Thanks Caveman! What a fun day exploring some new material. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Crusty, that copper ore with the cool blue color that you found is called: Chrysocolla
I didn't find any Chrysocolla but I did take home some of the Epidote that I found.
Thanks again guys that was fun!
Crusty
QUOTE (MikeS @ Oct 14 2014, 07:07 AM) *
Thanks Caveman! What a fun day exploring some new material. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Crusty, that copper ore with the cool blue color that you found is called: Chrysocolla
I didn't find any Chrysocolla but I did take home some of the Epidote that I found.
Thanks again guys that was fun!

Ah, helps when you know how to spell it! lol

Didn't know you didn't get some; I've got several chunks off that boulder, I'll hook you up next time we link up. How much longer did y'all hang out?
Caveman
Thanks, Mike & Crusty - it was a great day, and perfect weather & climbing conditions. Your brother (I'm terrible with names) and mining partner (Jason?) were great to have along too.It was fun to to do the reasearch and get out there. I hope a week from this coming Sunday will be good for another go.... I would like to get to the tailings piles from one of those old mines out there. We just went up the wrong gulch. I have some radios, too (for the house and hunting), so we can split up more. I will keep you guys posted!
Crusty
QUOTE (Caveman @ Oct 14 2014, 08:27 AM) *
Thanks, Mike & Crusty - it was a great day, and perfect weather & climbing conditions. Your brother (I'm terrible with names) and mining partner (Jason?) were great to have along too.It was fun to to do the reasearch and get out there. I hope a week from this coming Sunday will be good for another go.... I would like to get to the tailings piles from one of those old mines out there. We just went up the wrong gulch. I have some radios, too (for the house and hunting), so we can split up more. I will keep you guys posted!

Good call on the radios; I've got a few of them as well, so when I decide to climb to the top of a ridge out of ear shot y'all don't have to keep hollering at me ;)

Should be able to make it for the next round!
NewRockHounder
NEXT TIME!!!! Make it on the weekend so I can attend, pweeeeaaassseeee!
Caveman
QUOTE (NewRockHounder @ Oct 14 2014, 02:32 PM) *
NEXT TIME!!!! Make it on the weekend so I can attend, pweeeeaaassseeee!

Working on it..... Let you guys know this week.
NewRockHounder
On a side note, I'll be up in Devil's Head area again this weekend. Probably go camping one... last... time... before the trails close. Weather... not depending, I go regardless. (Unless "1 - anything above, snow)
MikeS
QUOTE (Crusty @ Oct 14 2014, 08:39 AM) *
I'll hook you up next time we link up. How much longer did y'all hang out?

No worries Crusty, I could have grabbed some but I was after the source like a bear smelling donuts. I just didn't find it like the bear would. smiley-laughing021.gif
We poked around that spot until the sun went behind the hills and found some much more interesting Epidote pieces with other crystals mixed in. Some of the small crystals may be Sphalerite (Zinc ore), and a few unknowns.
MikeS
QUOTE (Caveman @ Oct 14 2014, 09:27 AM) *
Your brother (I'm terrible with names) and mining partner (Jason?)

I'm bad with names as well. My twin brother David and long time friend Jason.
Caveman
Wow! I had them both right.... dancing_smiley.gif
Denise
Sounds like it was a great time guys!! I would love to see some of the Chrysocolla and Epidote that you all found.
MikeS
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Oct 15 2014, 09:37 AM) *
Sounds like it was a great time guys!! I would love to see some of the Chrysocolla and Epidote that you all found.

I'll get some pics of my Epidote when I get the chance. For the Chrysocolla I will have to get some pics from friends unless Crusty can post some pics of his.
....and yes it was a great time! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
MikeS
Here is a few of the pieces my brother found. Chrysocolla(blue), Epidote(green), Tourmaline(black)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Caveman
That's outstanding - I am going to make a quick solo trip this coming week to scout that other wash - I'll let you know what I find.
Denise
Very cool finds Mike, David sure scored on those! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Definitely not bad for a first time field test. Looking forward to your update Caveman, looks like there will be even more kinds of goodies found yet.

emoticon-misc-004.gif groucho.gif
Caveman
Ok, guys & gals, I am heading out on Thursday for a field souting trip (sections 10, 11), and hope to put together a group outing this Sunday, the 26th. Anyone interested? anyone.gif
Woody
I am definaly interested.

Been looking forward to this for a while. One moving target in my sites that I have to knock down first is my rental. The last folks moved out last week and I have tons to do to get back to top notch. I thought I was fininshed this morning until I turned on the faucet to water the yard. Found a big leak in the pulmbing. Now back to working on cell towers for a couple of nights. Hope to get on the plumbing by Saturday. I'll let you know. Woody.
Caveman
Definitely hope you can make it, Woody. That would be a big plus!
Denise
QUOTE (Caveman @ Oct 22 2014, 11:18 AM) *
Ok, guys & gals, I am heading out on Thursday for a field souting trip (sections 10, 11), and hope to put together a group outing this Sunday, the 26th. Anyone interested? anyone.gif

Sounds great Caveman! Have fun out there and stay safe tomorrow. happy088.gif
NewRockHounder
Well poop. I picked up some hours at work this next week.... didn't know at the time I was signing up for a 3am shift on Sunday. More money, but yet again bad timing. If you could push yer day trip to Saturday.. I'd totally be down. Was gunna go camping Friday/Saturday up at my endless but I could just make it into a day trip Friday after work - to free up Saturday... if you guys can do it then. If not however, I'll be going camping, so sooner the notice, the better. (I tend to check this site at least 30 times a day...exaggerated...sure.. ;) Maybe I'll also try n give you a buzz tonight.

Colin
MikeS
I don't think I will make it this time Caveman. I am going to take the opportunity to meet Emac on Saturday. Then on Sunday I will have to do some follow up work near the claim. I hope you find what you are after. Good Luck!
fenixsmom
Have fun Scott!!!!
Caveman
Thanks, Denise & Jessie! I will both be safe and have fun. I do not plan on being out there for more than 3 - 4 hours. Speed scouting, to be sure! MikeS - have fun with EMac, Jessie, and whoever else gets out there to join you - find some color! Colin, we talked on the phone, and if you are able to get there on Sunday, that would be great, if not... there's always another time to go. If the weather holds, there may be a November field trip in order - I will keep you guys posted. One good thing about November.... no snakes! Not that we saw any the last time, but you never know....
NewRockHounder
Seeya Sunday. ;)
lostnewb
QUOTE (Caveman @ Oct 22 2014, 12:18 PM) *

See you there.

Chris
Caveman
Heading out after my shower this morning - off now to say "Hay!" to the horses! music037.gif
Caveman
aaaannnnd away I go! Update when I get back.....
EMac
QUOTE (Caveman @ Oct 23 2014, 09:28 AM) *
Heading out after my shower this morning - off now to say "Hay!" to the horses!

QUOTE (Caveman @ Oct 23 2014, 11:38 AM) *
aaaannnnd away I go! Update when I get back.....

A lot of horses or a really long shower? Any bets? tongue.gif

I'd like to get down that way with you sometime. Seeing all these finds from folks has piqued my interest.
NewRockHounder
Welp, can't get out of work early... out at 1030am... for Crusty to pick me up, in more or less Littleton, from the Springs, and then round about it back south to the dig spot... ain't worth it. More time driving than digging. Is what it is and ain't what it ain't. Next time, hopefully this year before the snow. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Would love to meet you guys.

Good luck on the dig.

Colin
Caveman
QUOTE (EMac @ Oct 23 2014, 11:53 AM) *
A lot of horses or a really long shower? Any bets? tongue.gif

I'd like to get down that way with you sometime. Seeing all these finds from folks has piqued my interest.

Had a few chores added to to "Honeydo" list.... smiley-laughing021.gif Then the horses got out through a gate I left open..... greensmilies-025.gif Filled a bucket with grain and they came runnin' back in, but that was an extra 15 minutes...

Didn't find the mine, or much of anything, but did find a few more washes to check out.... tough to get into them, but they look interesting.... also found a wash that skirts back behind the private land.... THAT might be worth checking out, it's big and flows to the big wash by the road. See you guys on Sunday!
EMac
How many times more this year do you suppose you'll go out? I was just perusing Crusty's pics, and thinking about what I would take with me, what I'd need to get, and which pack to use.
Caveman
It depends on the weather - can't say right now...
Caveman
I plan on meeting at the pullout we were at this last time... to get there, take 50 west through Canon City to Parkdale, turn left on CR 3, follow to where 3 splits off of Copper Gulch Road (to the south side of Royal Gorge), and stay left (on Copper Gulch Road). Go aprox 4.5 mils from the split ti a pullout on the right, and you will see my truck. See you there Sunday at 0900!
lostnewb
QUOTE (Caveman @ Oct 24 2014, 10:53 AM) *
I plan on meeting at the pullout we were at this last time... to get there, take 50 west through Canon City to Parkdale, turn left on CR 3, follow to where 3 splits off of Copper Gulch Road (to the south side of Royal Gorge), and stay left (on Copper Gulch Road). Go aprox 4.5 mils from the split ti a pullout on the right, and you will see my truck. See you there Sunday at 0900!

Look forward to seeing y'all there.
Crusty
QUOTE (Caveman @ Oct 24 2014, 09:53 AM) *

Don't be a bonehead like me... wait until you get to 3;it is 3a that goes to Royal Gorge Bridge. Coming from the east, pass that, go down the hill and 3 is on the left. If you hit the Parkdale recreation Area, you've gone too far!

I'm gonna pass this weekend. I've got to get through the stuff I got from Swizz's place before it starts getting cold and my buckets start freezing, so I'm gonna make a run at that. Happy hunting!
Caveman
Darn! It was a blast having you join us last week.
Caveman
Ok, roll call! Who's in for tomorrow?

Caveman, lostnewb, anyone else?
lostnewb
QUOTE (Caveman @ Oct 25 2014, 04:07 PM) *
Ok, roll call! Who's in for tomorrow?

Caveman, lostnewb, anyone else?

I am not 100% I will make it down tomorrow. I am pretty sick and would prefer not to share, unlike the guy that came to work sick...

-Chris
Caveman
Well, went out anyway, speed walked that wash, and it looks promising.... goes WAY back there, and has all kinds of washes joining it from the surrounding hills, a lot of them pretty tough to get bak into. I saw no footprints, but found a piece of old iron. I need to go further back, but I wsa feeling a little poorly myself, so I called it after an hour. I'll try to set another run up if the weather holds - it be after the new ink, though.
Woody
Sorry about bailing on you Caveman.

Wish I had more room on the clock for play, I just wasn't up for the drive time. It's been one of those weeks. I opted to stay local, "less than 20 miles" and went to one of my trusted spots. I did prretty good. Shoot me an Email and I will send you some pictures. We need to get together down here sometime and make a day of it. Take care, Woody.
lostnewb
Same here. Very sorry not to make it.

Spent all last night up with this cold. Figured best not to be around anyone and get them sick. I look forward to the next trip if the weather holds.

-Chris
Caveman
Woody, Lostnewb, no problem - you get curves thrown by life all the time, so you just make te best of it. And, like I said - I wasn't feeling well myself, and only stayed out an hour. Next time - I intend to follow that wash back a lot further. Woody, I will shoot you a PM with my email address as we had to have our 'puter rebuilt and lost a lot of our contacts.
NewRockHounder
I told Crusty - as I am - Going up Thursday to a new area, prospecting - I suspect it's under private ownership since the dates of which I got this info are from the '50's. But worse case, I'll hit up another area that I did beginning of summer when (as I told Woody) I was as greenhorn to rock hounding as it gets - as always, more the merry, expect to go by myself.. but figured I'd throw it out there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.