Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: reviews wanted
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Miners Crafts, Goods & Classified ads > Wanted > SOLD or Found!
realnice
This new site(thediggings.com) has popped up and has information on active and closed claims in every state. They also provide pretty accurate google maps showing claim boudaries. Its like an easy version of the blm website that visually showed claims and claimant data which is no longer available. This should be a great resource for making sure you aren't digging on a claim but I'm sure people will use it to jump on your claim. Anyone checked it out? Im unsure how they keep their data up to date
Crusty
I did check it out and it did have a couple claims listed that I knew to be valid. But if their info isn't up to date and you end up on someone's claim, using, "But I read it on the internet" isn't going to get you too far in court.

It might be a good place to start, but nothing can replace confirmation from the County Clerk/Recorder and BLM
swizz
QUOTE (Crusty @ Dec 16 2014, 12:38 PM) *
..... their info isn't up to date and you end up on someone's claim, using, "But I read it on the internet" isn't going to get you too far in court.

Absolutely correct Crusty. happy088.gif
It isn't gonna get them too far on my mtn either. qdraw.gif
Both of my active claims don't even show up... yet it shows Gold there. My claims have been active for years and they pop up fine on the LR2000. Some of the other claims didn't even appear either. My neighbor's claim appears but the boundaries are wildly out of place. This work is flawed in addition to the inaccuracies. They are drawing information from the BLM and painting it in a prettier format. The BLM site is rarely up to date and certainly not on a daily basis. The Clerk and Recorder are up to date on a daily basis but not much of that information is offered online. It isn't by my Clerk/Recorder, that requires a visit. Gonna be interesting to greet the goobers waving treasure maps, I'm ready to break their hearts and educate them.
Anyone boasting accurate claim boundary mapping for every claim is truly absurd. Boundaries, ownerships, land status', and more change on a daily basis... it is very fluid. The BLM scrapped geocommunicator because it had the fatal flaws I just described. They could not keep up with the daily changes and were running into legal liabilities, even with the disclaimer. Clerk and recorder still must be done as a follow-up prior to any unknown prospecting adventure. Must check for potential C.O.L. filings made within the last 90 days that are not yet recorded with the BLM. That would be claimed land which isn't even recorded by the BLM yet, and not required by law according to the grace period. That 90 day period and inaccurate boundary and claim information will come back to bite someone using that "resource" without double-checking the Clerk/Recorder records for recent C.O.L. filings and accurate existing claim boundaries the day before or the day of using, I can guarantee that.
There are a lot of Larks out there. Beware.
swizz
Crusty sez my claims are showing now on that "resource", hit and miss to even show an active placer claim..... so....
not good
Caveman
I looked at it and found it miserable to work with, and didn't show the active claims that I knew were there, and as I checked with the CC Clerk and Recorder, plus the BLM last Sept, I absolutely KNOW that these are real claims. This site is very weak at best, and a terrible resource. I wouldn't be able to trust anything I found there, therefore it's completely useless.
swizz
It is currently NOT showing either of my active claims. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Total POS and the guy is a con artist with a silver tongue.
Mining miners is a guaranteed way to succeed in the mining realm and he's the best Snake Oil salesman I've seen in a long time. Talks the talk and has loyal believers. Gotta give him credit for that. I think we all know PT Barnum's famous quote. chaplin.gif
swizz
QUOTE (Caveman @ Dec 16 2014, 03:07 PM) *
I wouldn't be able to trust anything I found there, therefore it's completely useless.

Correct. Exactly.
swizz
QUOTE (realnice @ Dec 16 2014, 12:03 PM) *
This new site(thediggings.com) has popped up and has information on active and closed claims in every state. They also provide pretty accurate google maps showing claim boudaries. Its like an easy version of the blm website that visually showed claims and claimant data which is no longer available. This should be a great resource for making sure you aren't digging on a claim but I'm sure people will use it to jump on your claim. Anyone checked it out? Im unsure how they keep their data up to date

How are we doing? Need any more reviews of it?
Caveman
I think this guy on The Diggin's is more like Soapy Smith. People know he's shady, but still buy in! eating-popcorn-03.gif
Caveman
I will give this a letter grade: "F"

And that's being very generous..... Seriously, this is beyond poor.
Crusty
QUOTE (swizz @ Dec 16 2014, 02:19 PM) *
Crusty sez my claims are showing now on that "resource", hit and miss to even show an active placer claim..... so....
not good

Negative; they showed a month ago when I looked; they are not there now.
Coalbunny
I checked on claims that I know are present, and it shows nothing. The site is worthless.
swizz
I went to the site where he sells treasure maps.
Here is a direct cut & paste quote from the speel on the site:

"Custom Claims Maps - Claims Mapped and Displayed to ACTUAL boundaries"

False advertising at it's finest. sadno.gif
I wonder how many people fall for this and send money for the maps expecting it to be true. Reminds me of X-Ray Vision Glasses ads from the comic books in the 70s.
Caveman
Soapy Smith has been reincarnated.... slaphead.gif
swizz
maybe even better than Soapy.... this guy gets $80 per treasure map.
It's up to date until the day after you buy it. Actually, it's not even when you buy it, that's virtually impossible.
Then it has links to County Clerk and Recorder records. Guess what? Not many County Clerk Recorder records are available online and they are not required to. The Counties that DO have them available online charge a substantial fee to access them from your pc, usually on a very temporary basis... they will "rent" you online time for the public record system. My County is huge and has many claims. They do NOT support online viewing of their (my) public records in any way, shape, or form. If Joe Schmo wants to look at my physical claim boundary map, it definitely requires a visit to the County or BLM HQ... or ask me nicely. That chitprints software won't find it, nor anyone's physical boundary mapping in 'my' County... and most Counties, most often not for free when offered at all.
Online public record sharing is NOT a County nor BLM requirement. It costs the host money, and taxpayers, and they pass that on to you... and then some. Got another $80+ to pay the County for their online service because you don't feel like driving down there and you bought a link? That's only IF they decide to host County records online and you have more money to burn, most don't.... you'll be driving anyway.
CP Club provides a free list of links for Colorado Counties that DO and DO NOT support online public record hosting.... also exactly what each County charges and terms if they are a host.
This list is hosted and posted in the Club Protected Forum. Dan has already taken the trouble to gather and post this information for CP Members a while back.
Soapy is behind the curve. Diggins has biggins... for selling this snake oil.
Caveman
GEEEZUS! Priced right there, not too much, not too little. You gotta give it to him, he's on the ball!
Denise
Yet more than a yearly Colorado Prospector club membership, that teaches you how to properly file your own claim if desired......and know how to research where claims are/aren't located.
Caveman
You betcha! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif CP_Member.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.