Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: best places to sell your finds
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
goldchef
I am new to this club so wish to take a quick moment to say thank you. I have been prospecting here about 2 years now. I have found some gold which I will keep for now. But I have found some garnets, some close to pea size.and have found a spot where I find 2 half pea size in every test pan. Want to see if the quality is right and are sell able. So with that said. I thank all in advance who take the time to answer this series of questions.
MikeS
Hi Chef, welcome aboard! I have found many small garnets while panning Clear Creek. So far most are very small and I am holding on to them for art projects. If the pea size ones you have are gemmy enough with good color you may be able to find some jewlers interested in the rough material. There is a International Gem & Jewelry show at the Denver Merchandise Mart this weekend. I'm heading down there to do a little market research of my own. I let you know what I find out about the garnets.
goldchef
QUOTE (MikeS @ Mar 1 2014, 11:17 AM) *
Hi Chef, welcome aboard! I have found many small garnets while panning Clear Creek. So far most are very small and I am holding on to them for art projects. If the pea size ones you have are gemmy enough with good color you may be able to find some jewlers interested in the rough material. There is a International Gem & Jewelry show at the Denver Merchandise Mart this weekend. I'm heading down there to do a little market research of my own. I let you know what I find out about the garnets.

I have found some these garnets in clear creek. maybe we can catch up there and go sluicing some time.have a small group of guys that we go together.my biggest one from there is about half the size of a dime about a 1/3 in by 1/4in by 1/4 in
goldchef
heres a pic of garnets thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
CP
Welcome to the forum Goldchef, sign0016.gif you're welcome and thanks for considering the Colorado Prospector club as one of your choice to possibly join. We'd all be honored to have your future participation. For more club membership details if needed you can check them on the Colorado Prospector club membership page.

You've gotten a nice little collection of garnets started but unfortunately not anything sizable or worth cutting shown in that pic I don't think. Like MikeS pointed out though, very nice for smaller art projects etc or just collecting a pile of for showing. I did see a couple "gemmy" looking ones that are nice translucent red color (about 7 and 9 o'clock positions) that would cut nicely if larger.
When you do find some that you think are definately worth cutting, you'll just need to find a faceter to work with, either locally or online. They might be interested in purchasing larger ones worth cutting into jewelry stones.
There are so many types of garnets and places to find different ones, you'll really have some fun growing that part of the mineral collection.
You'll find a bunch of different threads here disscussing or talking about them also if you use the search feature for the word garnets.

Have a great time out there and let us know how you do with the garnets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.