Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: more soil questions
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Pages: 1, 2
fenixsmom
So I've been digging at this river for a few days and I've noticed some interesting soil deposits. I'm wondering if they are even worth my time. In one area there is an eroding man made rock slide area that backs to a willow covered plain. I went digging into it today and found a decomposing vegitation/mud/black sand layer underneath there I found a rusty sandy lome layer. It seems to be untouched by others judging by the red stained rocks I went through.
There is another section I played in across the river where there is a dark black sand area that has black stained rocks with silver streaks running through the stones. Above the dark sand area is a normal river sand layer.
Do either of these sound like it's better to dig through? Or if I need to provide more information?
russau
Blacksand and minerialization are indicators of what MIGHT be there.you just never know untill you prove it up, or not.
swizz
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Jan 30 2014, 03:37 PM) *
....mud/black sand layer underneath there I found a rusty sandy lome layer. It seems to be untouched by others judging by the red stained rocks I went through.

Rust-stained ore is always worth a sampling if Gold prospecting.... an indicator of mineralization. I get excited whenever I hit a rust layer at the claims. Doesn't always give up Gold, but usually a good indication.
fenixsmom
Thanks again swizz! Always sage advice! It was the last place I sampled before I took my dirt and fled. Ill spend more time there next time & bring my pan!
Caveman
At Clear Creek, I look for an area that is rust stained and hard (very hard) to dig and has larger smooth and rounded stones. Also on the down stream side of very large
and buried boulders. Usually good areas, but not always. After the floods up there, things have changed - hit the downstream side of any large boulder - there may be a
surprise waiting for you.
fenixsmom
Thank you caveman! Unfortunately the area of CC I've hit has been decimated in the actual river. I'm working the bank. But there are definitely rounded quartz deposit. Thank you Caveman, you're wonderful as always!
Caveman
There are also going to be new gravel bars, opened up bank areas, drifts behind very large boulders, and depressions also. When the water is low, these all become available
to work. Sometimes, the new loose stuff can hold some nice surprises, but so can the depressions - especially one that was left by a boulder that got moved by the flood.
Some of these may even be up on the bank where you are working Look for fresh deposits of heavy gravels that are not man-made and check them out. If they collected
there, gold probably did too. Good luck!
traddoerr
Fenixsmom, caveman & swizz gave some great advise on where to look. Have you found anything in the dirt your working at home? looks like this weekend is out for panning, I just don't have those polar bear ambitions like some do,LOL. The older I get the less I like the cold!
fenixsmom
Yes they did!!!! I greatly appreciate the wisdom! I wouldnt know what to think without you guys! Nothing at home so far. It's frustrating but I just hoped for SOME color. Ill keep working since god only knows what's at the bottom of the bucket!
I'm personally more of a tropical fish than a polar bear, so I agree with you on staying home. Besides, my big ol belly doesn't need to fall down a snowy hill nor fall into the freezing river!! char060.gif
Denise
smiley-laughing021.gif You crack me up! I know the feeling being pregnant......you feel like you have the power of two.........then you find out, too fall. giggle.gif Don't get too frustrated on not finding the gold yet. It just takes practice, time and patience. It will happen and you definately have the ambition to get it done! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
fenixsmom
Thanks Mrs.CP! I finally found some flour!!! smiley-shocked003.gif the excitement is on!!!! EEEEK!!!!!
Now all I need is a sluice and a pump and a blue bowl and a gold cube and a highbanker and a claim and a producion get up.... lol see where this is going!!!! But for now I'm happy with my 14"er and bucket. :D
swizz
Hey, we need to get your hubby into this and he can build ya a small sluice for next to nuthin. happy088.gif
I've had the fishing bug all my life and still do... he doesn't have to give that up. Both pursuits have a LOT in common. Every time I find a picker it's very much like the same thrill of landing a huge fish. Both activities take you to beautiful remote outdoor places (prospecting even more so).
Either way, if you stick with it I think you will do well!
fenixsmom
the hubby is being obstinate about learning. He practically pats me on the head and says "as long as you're having fun". What a twirp! He says he'll go out with me, but I'm not too optimistic. He'll just fish while I play in the dirt with my son when he gets old enough.

Speaking of a sluice I've been considering what it would take to build one. Which is the better design? The heavy grate on top of the miner's moss or the v-ripple rubber mat? I'd like a set up that I can carry to the river and set up at home with a recirculating pump. Which is easy with PVC, a drill and a couple of elbows.
fenixsmom
Big fish, we know big fish!
swizz
Nice! That one has very similar proportions to my mount, very nice. Sometimes they're snakey when they get that big, great catch!
Generally speaking, a river or creek sluice will not serve you well as a final processing (home) sluice. Each are designed for different classes of material and entirely different flow rates.
I have a very good little gutter sluice that was made for final processing. It came with nice rubber Keene riffle matting, about 4" wide. It runs well on any small 12V bilge pump and can be set up recycling water on a big RubberMaid tub or something, even 5gal buckets. It's designed for #30 mesh or smaller material and spoon-fed. Works really well but only for final processing the #30 or smaller concentrate collected from a river sluice.
I don't use it anymore and will gladly donate it to your pursuit, but only IF you can get your better half to git ya a river sluice.
... or cash in your loose change and spring for an inexpensive Angus MacKirk creek sluice for the field, under $50 and work great.... "drop-riffle", no carpeting or mat to fuss about.
just kidding about forcing your hubby to git ya a crick sluice - I'll gladly send you this processing sluice. I really don't use it anymore in my process and it's collecting dust. It begs to go to a new home and I think you'd get some use out of it. All you'd need is a small 12V pump which you could power at home with a battery or battery charger.
It's yours iffn you want it. emoticon-misc-004.gif
fenixsmom
Wow that is a very generous offer! I am humbled and speechless! I've been raised to not accept hand outs, ao I'll gladly pay for it! How much for it?
swizz
Ten dollars, and I'm not budging on that price.
fenixsmom
Where do I send the money?
swizz
Send it to the CP Club, I'm donating.... you can have Dan & Denise put it on hold for you for a membership (if you don't already have one) or just send it to them as a donation from me... either way. I can ship you the mini sluice via US Postal (PM me a PO Box or something if you want) or if you're a CP Club member by springtime I'll bring it along for a CP outing on Clear Creek and pass it on to you there. We'll probably do a 1-day outing there early spring, before runoff like last year... really fun. Planning is in the protected forum.
So ya, whatever you wanna do.
Caveman
Chris - Now you are just WAY too cool!! : signs021.gif fennixsmom - take that deal! We need more like you in our ranks. Maybe - just maybe - your hubby will come
around when you start pullin' pickers! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif More likely, though, he will just fish fishing1.gif , as you said, but he will still be out there with you. Still a
family outing there, and when you find that rare nugget (I'm betting you will!) he will be there to share the joy with you!
fenixsmom
You guys are just way too cool! I will take the deal and donate in his name. It's just a matter of when. I'll get my full fledged membership around asap, but baby has to come first. We have a whole nursery to buy and decorations for his viewing pleasure XD. I really, truly cannot wait to meet you guys and gals. The atmosphere between everyone is simply beautiful! You all know how to make a girl feel welcome!
swizz
Awesome.
I just think it's good to help people out if you have extra stuff and the person has a genuine interest. I have done the same for people on flyfishing forums. Why should I hoard gear that I don't use anymore? Whenever I upgrade stuff the older version goes to my land of misfit toys, I'd rather let someone else enjoy it. You obviously have a genuine interest and are taking time to learn the legal nuances... that means a lot. In my opinion the prospecting world needs more of your type. happy088.gif
fenixsmom
You're gonna make me cry (in a good way). I understand where you come from and I give freely as well. I just have been taught to earn my keep. I accept your proposal gracefully and will message you when I fulfill my end of the bargain. Thank you so much swizz. It means the world! I'll do my best to follow suit and share my knowledge with others and be the best non-member representative!
swizz
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
ok... now I'm gonna go see if I can find the thing. biggrin.gif
fenixsmom
Haha!!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
swizz
Found it!
For concentrate cleanup only so you'll need a screen to classify your material down to #30 mesh or smaller, that's all it can handle.... and it needs to be run sloooowww. Something to do while you're watching TV or something. Fun indoors job and maybe the hubby will take an interest once you get this thing running, cleanup is pretty fun when you're getting some color. It's nothing crazy-nice but it definitely works very well when set up and run correctly, not difficult. I used it for a while but am now a Blue Bowler for the #30 and smaller.

These riffles are killer, hard to imagine anything making it through that gauntlet. Similar to GoldHog matting but Keene

This is looking up at the top section where the water feeds into the run. It disperses in that PVC "T" then comes out through that green scrubbie material and is supposed to evenly feed water across the green slate (slate paint) section. That scrubbie piece gets cloggy every now and then but you can stick your fingers in there to adjust or clean it somewhat when it starts acting weird. Could probably pull it out and stick a different scrubbie in there too if you wanted to experiment. Most Gold that I've recovered with this sluice has been in the upper green slate-painted flat section. It rarely makes it to the rubber riffles and I've never found a speck of gold as low as the carpet section. The carpet section is the only piece that is removable.

And this is where you screw your feed hose in, it has adjustable flow.
fenixsmom
OH MY GOD! jawdrop.gif extra_happy.gif are you sure you only want ten dollars?!?!?!?!
swizz
It's just a plastic gutter sluice for cripes sake. laugh.gif
I think I paid less than $30 for it from some guy who was making and selling them on eBay. You wouldn't take it for free so ten bucks seems about right.
OklaPony
fenixsmom-Pretty nice bunch of folks you stumbled upon here, huh?
fenixsmom
I am in absolute awe. Thank god I stumbled into this forum! I feel blessed! Even if it's "only a gutter sluice!"
Caveman
Chris, "only a gutter sluice?" The guy who made it did a great job! It is one damn fine piece of cleanup equipment. You are one heck of a guy to sell it to a newcomer, for
$10. Donated. Kuddos to you for making us all look good, and Kuddos to you, fennixsmom for bringing the right attitude to the game, which also makes us all look good.
May both your pans be chock full of color. Way to go! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
fenixsmom
I feel a little cheesy for saying this, but the people are what make the organization what it is. Isn't that the mission statement? I never expected anyone to step up the way Chris has, it's amazing and unprecedented. From a newcomer's outlook, the group of people here are of the highest caliber. I cannot sing high enough of a praise for this organization and the people who drive it on. From Chris's insane kindness, Dennis taking me under his wing (in time we will get to CC!) Mr. and Mrs. P with their talent and kindness, to Caveman with his wisdom and overall good spirit. It is simply amazing! You folks have set the bar high! I will forever strive to contribute to this cause because I believe in what I've seen. (Now if I can only pony up the dough!)
Caveman
Wisdom? WOW! Never had that adjective used with my name either. I retain a lot of what I read and experience, and also hear. I also know that I can be very wrong, too -
never be afraid to challenge or correct me. I am still very green here - this is a new hobby for me, and I have a lot to learn. What I have posted in this thread is what I have
panned out from this and other sites - from a grand old lady at Tymkovich's, and others along the creeks, and also from the people here on this site. Pay attention to what
they tell you. Along the way, I have only had 1 fellow prospector tell me I was wasting my time and would never catch any gold - that was a GPOC guy who I never got the
name of, but was about the same age as me - and I had gold in my sluice, he did not! Only ran into 1 group that was stand-offish - younger types in their 20's - and that's it.
Everyone else has been encouraging and helpful, and full of info. This site is the friendliest and the most honest by far. Everyone has good suggestions, helps out fellow
members, helps others in the field, etc. Great people, and a great site! Dan and Denise, Chris, Leonard, Russ, Astrobleme, traddoerr, and all the rest lead by example, and it
shows here on the site and in this thread. By far, the most encouraging group of people I have ever met. Glad you are here with us, and hope to see a Lifetime tag in your
signature line someday too! Stay safe, and

Have Fun Out There!
russau
yep it is a good group!
Denise
You are correct fenixsmom! It's the people that make the club and website what it is, and I can honestly say that we are very proud of this group!

(Gives everyone a big group hug arms.gif )

happy.gif

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!!
fenixsmom
Just as a randomish, half awake, working on my first cup of coffee thought.: there are nearly 2000 "members" registered to this site, yet I only see a handful of aforementioned members that actually engage each other. I'd like to brainstorm ways to increase the number of contributing members. Again, just a half asleep thought.
swizz
I believe that number refers to "forum members" which includes lurkers, random internet folks doing research, etc who just sign up for the forums to read or participate.... not necessarily "CP Club members" although I'm sure they're included in that number.
fenixsmom
Yeah, I'm sure they are members of the forum as well as fully fledged. I'm not a full member yet, but I'm included as a member.
I was just thinking it would be nice to have a more active forum, considering there are so many "members" If half of those people became more active and social, it would hopefully increase interest in the club. Just my opinion. music037.gif
fenixsmom
Ooo! I have a question about classification sizes. I have a 1/20" classifier. When I work my dirt through, does it then become a 20 concentrate? Or do I need a smaller classifier? anyone.gif
swizz
Well, in all fairness I think that internet forums overall peaked about 5 or 6yrs ago and are now pretty level. My flyfishing forums are now ghost towns compared to this and they were once extremely busy. Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking sources have gained more popularity (I don't do either).
This forum is relevant primarily to "Colorado" at first glance but certainly encompasses and offers information that is useful to any miner/prospector regardless of region. With that in mind, I consider it somewhat of a "regional" forum as opposed to something like GPAA (a profit company that preys on recreational users). Most of our members are from Colorado but we have paying club members from other states also who support CP and use the benefits.
So I don't expect it will ever attract huge attention like a corporate sponsored site but frankly it's kinda nice having a great small to medium group. We all get along and can discuss topics without the anonymity that gives strangers on other forums the reigns to hurl endless insults at each other when disagreeing. I see it all the time.
Don't think of it as "slow"... more of a family community rather than an anonymous world community. That's how I see it anyway. 2c.gif
fenixsmom
Good perspective. I do suppose with size you lose the heart and soul of a club.
dbx
I don't believe I am 'random' , but Lurker ... maybe.
I just can't get in that water in the winter.
I've panned here and there, and watch the TV show
on weather channel. I spend time learning more about
where to go, and making maps for the spring.
fenixsmom
Lurkers are welcome!
russau
for a couple of years now most of sites have had few actual participating members, versis people that just read and dont respond to the forums. you would think that in the wintertime there would be a lot of people posting,but it seems that in the summer is when i see most posting.
fenixsmom
I hear ya! I suppose I just think this club is great and want to share it with the world! Haha.
Caveman
We still have plenty of people posting when compared to other sites - just some more than others! smileywaving.gif
fenixsmom
Okay okay! I'll drop it! I have no answers.
traddoerr
Swizz, that is a very admirible(sp) thing you are doing, and a nice clean up system at that.

Fenixsmom, those are some very nice things to say and well deserved for the folks of this site. As it was said.....Its Like Family.

I guess you could relate me to being a lurker, until I really have a question or something to share. I joined this club in Feb 2011 and have learned a good deal of information from the great people on this site, and thats whats nice, is everyone here is willing to listen and then mentor. So I'm now going to go back to lurking about smiley-laughing021.gif
fenixsmom
Lurk away Dennis! Looks like this weekend is out again. :(
traddoerr
I hear ya there, I didn't even go to work today, just to dang cold to go outside period. In time we will be able to meet up at the creek, we really do need the moisture though so I'll give it that.

The cabin fever is REALLY starting to set in, I bet Betsy is going nuts as well. I've got some concentrait from this last summer, just might have to work it in the finish pan, to cold to sit out in the garage and run the blue bowl, and the law is I can't set up the equipment in the house, LOL.

Well I better get back to my school work, have a great week and stay WARM!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.