ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
more soil questions, noob strikes again!
fenixsmom
post Jan 30 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Master Mucker!

Group: Members
Member No.: 116,305

So I've been digging at this river for a few days and I've noticed some interesting soil deposits. I'm wondering if they are even worth my time. In one area there is an eroding man made rock slide area that backs to a willow covered plain. I went digging into it today and found a decomposing vegitation/mud/black sand layer underneath there I found a rusty sandy lome layer. It seems to be untouched by others judging by the red stained rocks I went through.
There is another section I played in across the river where there is a dark black sand area that has black stained rocks with silver streaks running through the stones. Above the dark sand area is a normal river sand layer.
Do either of these sound like it's better to dig through? Or if I need to provide more information?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
russau
post Jan 31 2014, 06:21 AM
Post #2

russau

Member No.: 43

Blacksand and minerialization are indicators of what MIGHT be there.you just never know untill you prove it up, or not.

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 31 2014, 06:28 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,983

QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Jan 30 2014, 03:37 PM) *
....mud/black sand layer underneath there I found a rusty sandy lome layer. It seems to be untouched by others judging by the red stained rocks I went through.

Rust-stained ore is always worth a sampling if Gold prospecting.... an indicator of mineralization. I get excited whenever I hit a rust layer at the claims. Doesn't always give up Gold, but usually a good indication.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Jan 31 2014, 07:36 AM
Post #4

Master Mucker!

Thanks again swizz! Always sage advice! It was the last place I sampled before I took my dirt and fled. Ill spend more time there next time & bring my pan!

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Jan 31 2014, 09:23 AM
Post #5

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

At Clear Creek, I look for an area that is rust stained and hard (very hard) to dig and has larger smooth and rounded stones. Also on the down stream side of very large
and buried boulders. Usually good areas, but not always. After the floods up there, things have changed - hit the downstream side of any large boulder - there may be a
surprise waiting for you.

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Jan 31 2014, 10:39 AM
Post #6

Master Mucker!

Thank you caveman! Unfortunately the area of CC I've hit has been decimated in the actual river. I'm working the bank. But there are definitely rounded quartz deposit. Thank you Caveman, you're wonderful as always!

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Jan 31 2014, 01:10 PM
Post #7

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

There are also going to be new gravel bars, opened up bank areas, drifts behind very large boulders, and depressions also. When the water is low, these all become available
to work. Sometimes, the new loose stuff can hold some nice surprises, but so can the depressions - especially one that was left by a boulder that got moved by the flood.
Some of these may even be up on the bank where you are working Look for fresh deposits of heavy gravels that are not man-made and check them out. If they collected
there, gold probably did too. Good luck!

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
traddoerr
post Feb 1 2014, 11:40 AM
Post #8

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 13,932

Fenixsmom, caveman & swizz gave some great advise on where to look. Have you found anything in the dirt your working at home? looks like this weekend is out for panning, I just don't have those polar bear ambitions like some do,LOL. The older I get the less I like the cold!

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Feb 1 2014, 11:51 AM
Post #9

Master Mucker!

Yes they did!!!! I greatly appreciate the wisdom! I wouldnt know what to think without you guys! Nothing at home so far. It's frustrating but I just hoped for SOME color. Ill keep working since god only knows what's at the bottom of the bucket!
I'm personally more of a tropical fish than a polar bear, so I agree with you on staying home. Besides, my big ol belly doesn't need to fall down a snowy hill nor fall into the freezing river!! char060.gif

+Quote Post
Denise
post Feb 2 2014, 12:38 PM
Post #10

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

smiley-laughing021.gif You crack me up! I know the feeling being pregnant......you feel like you have the power of two.........then you find out, too fall. giggle.gif Don't get too frustrated on not finding the gold yet. It just takes practice, time and patience. It will happen and you definately have the ambition to get it done! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Feb 2 2014, 12:58 PM
Post #11

Master Mucker!

Thanks Mrs.CP! I finally found some flour!!! smiley-shocked003.gif the excitement is on!!!! EEEEK!!!!!
Now all I need is a sluice and a pump and a blue bowl and a gold cube and a highbanker and a claim and a producion get up.... lol see where this is going!!!! But for now I'm happy with my 14"er and bucket. :D

+Quote Post
swizz
post Feb 2 2014, 03:38 PM
Post #12

Hey, we need to get your hubby into this and he can build ya a small sluice for next to nuthin. happy088.gif
I've had the fishing bug all my life and still do... he doesn't have to give that up. Both pursuits have a LOT in common. Every time I find a picker it's very much like the same thrill of landing a huge fish. Both activities take you to beautiful remote outdoor places (prospecting even more so).
Either way, if you stick with it I think you will do well!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Feb 2 2014, 04:30 PM
Post #13

Master Mucker!

the hubby is being obstinate about learning. He practically pats me on the head and says "as long as you're having fun". What a twirp! He says he'll go out with me, but I'm not too optimistic. He'll just fish while I play in the dirt with my son when he gets old enough.

Speaking of a sluice I've been considering what it would take to build one. Which is the better design? The heavy grate on top of the miner's moss or the v-ripple rubber mat? I'd like a set up that I can carry to the river and set up at home with a recirculating pump. Which is easy with PVC, a drill and a couple of elbows.

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Feb 2 2014, 04:32 PM
Post #14

Master Mucker!

Big fish, we know big fish!
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
swizz
post Feb 2 2014, 05:22 PM
Post #15

Nice! That one has very similar proportions to my mount, very nice. Sometimes they're snakey when they get that big, great catch!
Generally speaking, a river or creek sluice will not serve you well as a final processing (home) sluice. Each are designed for different classes of material and entirely different flow rates.
I have a very good little gutter sluice that was made for final processing. It came with nice rubber Keene riffle matting, about 4" wide. It runs well on any small 12V bilge pump and can be set up recycling water on a big RubberMaid tub or something, even 5gal buckets. It's designed for #30 mesh or smaller material and spoon-fed. Works really well but only for final processing the #30 or smaller concentrate collected from a river sluice.
I don't use it anymore and will gladly donate it to your pursuit, but only IF you can get your better half to git ya a river sluice.
... or cash in your loose change and spring for an inexpensive Angus MacKirk creek sluice for the field, under $50 and work great.... "drop-riffle", no carpeting or mat to fuss about.
just kidding about forcing your hubby to git ya a crick sluice - I'll gladly send you this processing sluice. I really don't use it anymore in my process and it's collecting dust. It begs to go to a new home and I think you'd get some use out of it. All you'd need is a small 12V pump which you could power at home with a battery or battery charger.
It's yours iffn you want it. emoticon-misc-004.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:56 AM