Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rattlesnake Gulch closed to prospecting?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Land Rights, Laws and References > Fight For Your Rights!
OkieJon
I heard Rattlesnake Gulch was closed to prospecting except panning only(and you cannot use a shovel)

No warnings,BLM just up and closed it.

Is this true?
CP
Hi Jon,

Yes unfortunately it is true.....this is what I was told at the end of May when I called the regional BLM office for RSG

I gave the BLM regional office a ring yesterday about rattle snake gulch.........as of right now there is nothing officially done towards closing the area but there is talk about it.
The way it was worded to me on the phone was....."there has been too much resource damage" as there have been folks digging on the creek banks as well as leaving open holes.

That was posted in the club members protected section at the end of May. Hopefully it's not a permanent closure but I'd been hearing about the problems there for the last 2 years (via CP chat and talking personally to folks who'd been there) and that was the word going around.....the area was not being treated properly and was left in a mess! This is also why ColoradoProspector.com never promoted that area and we told everyone we talked with to make sure they reclaimed all their digs.....and maybe an extra hole or two that they saw unreclaimed.

Being a specially designated area, I believe the district ranger has the authority to change rules as needed for that area without public comment period.

Too bad some users of this area screwed it up for the rest of us! mad.gif We had never prospected there but it sure sounded like a great place to go until now.

Good thing the ColoradoProspector club helps learn about how to find open ground for prospecting! biggrin.gif happy088.gif

CP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.