ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Panning and gold detecting in fremont???, Was looking for a good place this weekend?
Troy#1
post Mar 1 2013, 03:41 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 57,979

Hello everyone Iam new to this forum and gold prospecting in general but just bought a bunch of gear and live in canon city CO, was looking for a little help in the search of ether a good ghost town for my new ATgold or a good sluice area for this time year for my new Keene A52? Plan on joining the CP yearly once I recover from the 1300 spent on gear! Thanks in advance really like reading some of these posts.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Mar 1 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

QUOTE (Troy#1 @ Mar 1 2013, 02:41 PM) *
Hello everyone Iam new to this forum and gold prospecting in general but just bought a bunch of gear and live in canon city CO, was looking for a little help in the search of ether a good ghost town for my new ATgold or a good sluice area for this time year for my new Keene A52? Plan on joining the CP yearly once I recover from the 1300 spent on gear! Thanks in advance really like reading some of these posts.

Welcome to the forums Troy! Glad to hear that you are joining us later this year. I will also be looking for places around there as I plan on moving to Westcliffe in the next year or two. There were some open areas going west on the Arkansas, at Texas Creek, then Salida, but I don't know if they are still open. I will check on it, though. I think Leonard or Woody may have more up to date info. Hope to see you out there!

sign0016.gif

Later!

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
Troy#1
post Mar 1 2013, 04:24 PM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Caveman @ Mar 1 2013, 03:00 PM) *
Welcome to the forums Troy! Glad to hear that you are joining us later this year. I will also be looking for places around there as I plan on moving to Westcliffe in the next year or two. There were some open areas going west on the Arkansas, at Texas Creek, then Salida, but I don't know if they are still open. I will check on it, though. I think Leonard or Woody may have more up to date info. Hope to see you out there!

sign0016.gif

Later!

Thanks Caveman, yeah texas creek is only about 45min or so from here so that would be great, also I was curious about shelf road leading up toward cripple creek from canon city and red canyon?? Yeah goodluck on the move westcliff, its awesome my mom lives out toward copper gulch always wondered about that area as well as I see all kinds of old mines along the road going out toward the firehouse think its CR27 I quess maybe they were copper mines hints the name copper gulch but still dont know for sure?

+Quote Post
amorton
post Mar 1 2013, 04:35 PM
Post #4

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 7,475

Mostly Silver mining in Westcliffe / Silvercliffe area but minerals like to travel together so other stuff was found as well

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Mar 1 2013, 06:24 PM
Post #5

Master Mucker!

The was a lot of copper mining there too, gold and other metals were byproducts of both silver and copper in that area. Rosita was also a major gold producing area, and is just south of Westcliffe. I do not know about the road from Canon City to Cripple Creek. I have a book that shows some rockhounding areas, (which is also prospecting) but no sluicing/panning areas along that road. Andrew, you are right, mainly silver, but the active mines there now are registered as lode deposits for gold, and the big active mine you can see from Mitchell Mountian Road at our property is a gold mine. My guess is that it is also getting silver.

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER

+Quote Post
Troy#1
post Mar 1 2013, 07:14 PM
Post #6

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Caveman @ Mar 1 2013, 05:24 PM) *
The was a lot of copper mining there too, gold and other metals were byproducts of both silver and copper in that area. Rosita was also a major gold producing area, and is just south of Westcliffe. I do not know about the road from Canon City to Cripple Creek. I have a book that shows some rockhounding areas, (which is also prospecting) but no sluicing/panning areas along that road. Andrew, you are right, mainly silver, but the active mines there now are registered as lode deposits for gold, and the big active mine you can see from Mitchell Mountian Road at our property is a gold mine. My guess is that it is also getting silver.

Anyone know about phantom canyon which kinda starts at cripple creek and back out halfway between penrose and canon city saw a video on youtube of a guy panning phantom canyon but of course it never showed gold in the pan or say if it was even a legal area?

Texas creek maybe my best bet, please let me know if you find out any info on that area Caveman and anyone else have some ideas on the area please feel free to reply as I need all the help I can get!

Look forward to finding a spot?

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Mar 1 2013, 09:09 PM
Post #7

Master Mucker!

I cannot find the papers I had on the areas - and I think it was Cotopaxi, not Texas Creek. They could be GPAA or GPOC areas too, so they would not be "free" areas to prospect. There is a BLM office there in Canon City, but it is too late to check with the county clerk and assessor to find the public, unclaimed areas. Sorry that I could not be any help, I don't want to steer you into trouble. There is Point Bar, but the season ther doesn't open until April 1st, per the July 2010 BLM paper I just checked.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm...S_Chapter_3.pdf

3.20.1.13 Placer Mining
Recreational placer mining is permitted along the Arkansas River banks at Point Barr and on private mining
claims (assuming appropriate permissions). This traditional activity includes planning, dry washing, and
sluicing in search of valuable minerals, particularly gold. Notice level activities, which involve motorized
equipment such as high bankers and dredges, are also permitted along the Arkansas River. Motorized
placer mining operations require a permit, which can be obtained from the AHRA or Caņon City BLM
office. Within the Analysis Area, placer mining activities are concentrated at the Point Barr AHRA site, and
the season runs from April 1 through September 30 at this site.

This paper is more tha 2 years old, so it may no longer be valid, so check with the BLM office - I've heard that there is no moterized dredging on the Arkansas, but I don't know if that includes moterized equipement. The papers I have are at least a year old, so the info needs to be double-checked too, when I find them.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER

+Quote Post
Troy#1
post Mar 1 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #8

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Caveman @ Mar 1 2013, 08:09 PM) *
I cannot find the papers I had on the areas - and I think it was Cotopaxi, not Texas Creek. They could be GPAA or GPOC areas too, so they would not be "free" areas to prospect. There is a BLM office there in Canon City, but it is too late to check with the county clerk and assessor to find the public, unclaimed areas. Sorry that I could not be any help, I don't want to steer you into trouble. There is Point Bar, but the season ther doesn't open until April 1st, per the July 2010 BLM paper I just checked.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm...S_Chapter_3.pdf

3.20.1.13 Placer Mining
Recreational placer mining is permitted along the Arkansas River banks at Point Barr and on private mining
claims (assuming appropriate permissions). This traditional activity includes planning, dry washing, and
sluicing in search of valuable minerals, particularly gold. Notice level activities, which involve motorized
equipment such as high bankers and dredges, are also permitted along the Arkansas River. Motorized
placer mining operations require a permit, which can be obtained from the AHRA or Caņon City BLM
office. Within the Analysis Area, placer mining activities are concentrated at the Point Barr AHRA site, and
the season runs from April 1 through September 30 at this site.

This paper is more tha 2 years old, so it may no longer be valid, so check with the BLM office - I've heard that there is no moterized dredging on the Arkansas, but I don't know if that includes moterized equipement. The papers I have are at least a year old, so the info needs to be double-checked too, when I find them.

Good Luck!

"Hey Thanks again Caveman" you know if any of those claims from Gpoc or gpaa are worth a crap or they been hit pretty hard I would imagine??

Iam willing to drive a few hours if there is a decent spot within a 120miles or so and Cotopaxi Would be great since that is out towards my Moms place!
I have the GPAA guide but its crap as far as anything off there claims!

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Mar 2 2013, 12:21 AM
Post #9

Master Mucker!

My only experience is on Clear Creek in a couple of places... mostly very fine. I have not been on any GPOC, so I couldn't say what is there on any of them.

Take care and Have Fun!

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER

+Quote Post
Troy#1
post Mar 2 2013, 04:33 PM
Post #10

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Caveman @ Mar 1 2013, 11:21 PM) *
My only experience is on Clear Creek in a couple of places... mostly very fine. I have not been on any GPOC, so I couldn't say what is there on any of them.

Take care and Have Fun!

yeah my father in law goes there once a year, iam still looking into cotopaxi or westcliff but dont see nothing maybe buenu vista? anyone know if its open this time of year for GPAA or worth the 2.5 hour drive? any of the GPOC claims info would be cool too if any one knows about them??
Wish the CP life membership wasnt so much cause I would love to try some of the private claims from other members and want to get into dredging someday =(

+Quote Post
swizz
post Mar 2 2013, 05:03 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 6,983

Hi Troy and welcome to CP! sign0016.gif
2c.gif
My suggestion is to learn the nuances of land status research so that you can become a "true" prospector/small scale miner. You don't need to suck on the hind tit of a GPAA or GPOC claim... stake your own claim. I learned everything needed to do this in relatively short order from the kind folks here. I'm now a proud claim owner and know my rights very well. Land status research has become second nature.
If you were to join here at an Annual level you would be quickly introduced to the basics of land status research since all of the Annual CP areas require the user to verify the status of the BLM and NFS lands that this club recommends. That's a damn good start to learning the basics... forces you to learn it if you wanna legally use these areas. Do you want to learn?
Any miner worth his salt knows the basics of land status research and abides/is protected by the mining laws of 1872. These are things you need to know (unless you're content sucking hind tit).
Explore your public lands for Gold & Gems and stake a claim. That's how real miners operate and what we strive to teach here. Colorado is an exceptional state to do this in and we're lucky to live here. Strongly suggest that you take advantage if you're serious about it. Consider this site an oasis if that's your prerogative. We're here to help.
cheers.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Mar 2 2013, 05:13 PM
Post #12

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 52,528

QUOTE (Troy#1 @ Mar 1 2013, 06:14 PM) *
Anyone know about phantom canyon which kinda starts at cripple creek and back out halfway between penrose and canon city saw a video on youtube of a guy panning phantom canyon but of course it never showed gold in the pan or say if it was even a legal area?

Texas creek maybe my best bet, please let me know if you find out any info on that area Caveman and anyone else have some ideas on the area please feel free to reply as I need all the help I can get!

Look forward to finding a spot?

As far as I've seen phantom canyon is bare, all I found up there was dirt, a few pretty rocks, and a dead dog. jawdrop.gif Also, there is a lot of private property that boarders the road, some posted some not. There is a large pull off area about 3/4 mile or so from where the asphalt ends going up (right at the first tunnel) that has a wash/seasonal stream that I pulled a bunch of material out of, probably 8 buckets or so worth with not even a speck of gold to be found. Lot of black sand and a few tiny garnets. I went up there based on probably the same video you did (woman filming and commenting on her husband panning?). Nice drive though.

The two areas that seem to come up a lot in discussions for places to go are clear creek and fairplay beach. Both are known gold producing areas, with caveats. Fairplay charges a nominal fee for a permit, and there's a large claim on the western end of clear creek if you're working the stretch in Jefferson County.

$1300 seems a bit much for gear to be starting out, I'm maybe $300 into gear, and that's pans, 2 sluices, and buckets. Do snacks and beer consumed while reading the forums count as gear? smiley-laughing021.gif

--------------------
Life goes by so fast/You only wanna do what you think is right/Close your eyes and it's past/Story of my life - Mike Ness

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Mar 2 2013, 11:11 PM
Post #13

Master Mucker!

Only if you're a State Senator! groucho.gif

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER

+Quote Post
Troy#1
post Mar 3 2013, 05:16 PM
Post #14

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 2 2013, 04:03 PM) *
Hi Troy and welcome to CP! sign0016.gif
2c.gif
My suggestion is to learn the nuances of land status research so that you can become a "true" prospector/small scale miner. You don't need to suck on the hind tit of a GPAA or GPOC claim... stake your own claim. I learned everything needed to do this in relatively short order from the kind folks here. I'm now a proud claim owner and know my rights very well. Land status research has become second nature.
If you were to join here at an Annual level you would be quickly introduced to the basics of land status research since all of the Annual CP areas require the user to verify the status of the BLM and NFS lands that this club recommends. That's a damn good start to learning the basics... forces you to learn it if you wanna legally use these areas. Do you want to learn?
Any miner worth his salt knows the basics of land status research and abides/is protected by the mining laws of 1872. These are things you need to know (unless you're content sucking hind tit).
Explore your public lands for Gold & Gems and stake a claim. That's how real miners operate and what we strive to teach here. Colorado is an exceptional state to do this in and we're lucky to live here. Strongly suggest that you take advantage if you're serious about it. Consider this site an oasis if that's your prerogative. We're here to help.
cheers.gif

Yes I really want to learn and only joined the GPAA thinking the guide would be helpful but its really not and maybe find a claim that I could learn on, I would love to get my own claim and I have all the time in the world to prospect as I dont get much work around here but what kind of money is involed it getting a claim???

I would really love to have an area to learn without any worries and know that I have a chance at making something out of it one day, I have watched some of the videos you recommend from the prospecting channel and working on getting the rest of the things I need but until I at least get out and find a spot and some color I dont want to be putting to much into it.

I will join up asap cause Iam serious about this and like I said I need all the help I can get! newhere.gif

+Quote Post
Troy#1
post Mar 3 2013, 05:29 PM
Post #15

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Dypheron @ Mar 2 2013, 04:13 PM) *
As far as I've seen phantom canyon is bare, all I found up there was dirt, a few pretty rocks, and a dead dog. jawdrop.gif Also, there is a lot of private property that boarders the road, some posted some not. There is a large pull off area about 3/4 mile or so from where the asphalt ends going up (right at the first tunnel) that has a wash/seasonal stream that I pulled a bunch of material out of, probably 8 buckets or so worth with not even a speck of gold to be found. Lot of black sand and a few tiny garnets. I went up there based on probably the same video you did (woman filming and commenting on her husband panning?). Nice drive though.

The two areas that seem to come up a lot in discussions for places to go are clear creek and fairplay beach. Both are known gold producing areas, with caveats. Fairplay charges a nominal fee for a permit, and there's a large claim on the western end of clear creek if you're working the stretch in Jefferson County.

$1300 seems a bit much for gear to be starting out, I'm maybe $300 into gear, and that's pans, 2 sluices, and buckets. Do snacks and beer consumed while reading the forums count as gear? smiley-laughing021.gif

Haha yep thats the video, I have a place on the other end on shelf road I take my dogs to play in the water and it was loaded with black sand never panned it cause wasnt sure about the laws there.

But as far as the 1300 it was mostly the ATgold from garret and the A52 sluice plus I got the badger from Apex, rubber boots, garret pan set and some other little stuff and it added up quick! atomic.gif
yeah I here about those alot too, I think clear creek is pretty far from here but fairplays pretty close and I here buena vista is pretty good as well but as far as this time of year what do you thinks worth the drive??

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:18 AM