Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Panning and gold detecting in fremont???
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Pages: 1, 2
Troy#1
Hello everyone Iam new to this forum and gold prospecting in general but just bought a bunch of gear and live in canon city CO, was looking for a little help in the search of ether a good ghost town for my new ATgold or a good sluice area for this time year for my new Keene A52? Plan on joining the CP yearly once I recover from the 1300 spent on gear! Thanks in advance really like reading some of these posts.
Caveman
QUOTE (Troy#1 @ Mar 1 2013, 02:41 PM) *
Hello everyone Iam new to this forum and gold prospecting in general but just bought a bunch of gear and live in canon city CO, was looking for a little help in the search of ether a good ghost town for my new ATgold or a good sluice area for this time year for my new Keene A52? Plan on joining the CP yearly once I recover from the 1300 spent on gear! Thanks in advance really like reading some of these posts.

Welcome to the forums Troy! Glad to hear that you are joining us later this year. I will also be looking for places around there as I plan on moving to Westcliffe in the next year or two. There were some open areas going west on the Arkansas, at Texas Creek, then Salida, but I don't know if they are still open. I will check on it, though. I think Leonard or Woody may have more up to date info. Hope to see you out there!

sign0016.gif

Later!
Troy#1
QUOTE (Caveman @ Mar 1 2013, 03:00 PM) *
Welcome to the forums Troy! Glad to hear that you are joining us later this year. I will also be looking for places around there as I plan on moving to Westcliffe in the next year or two. There were some open areas going west on the Arkansas, at Texas Creek, then Salida, but I don't know if they are still open. I will check on it, though. I think Leonard or Woody may have more up to date info. Hope to see you out there!

sign0016.gif

Later!

Thanks Caveman, yeah texas creek is only about 45min or so from here so that would be great, also I was curious about shelf road leading up toward cripple creek from canon city and red canyon?? Yeah goodluck on the move westcliff, its awesome my mom lives out toward copper gulch always wondered about that area as well as I see all kinds of old mines along the road going out toward the firehouse think its CR27 I quess maybe they were copper mines hints the name copper gulch but still dont know for sure?
amorton
Mostly Silver mining in Westcliffe / Silvercliffe area but minerals like to travel together so other stuff was found as well
Caveman
The was a lot of copper mining there too, gold and other metals were byproducts of both silver and copper in that area. Rosita was also a major gold producing area, and is just south of Westcliffe. I do not know about the road from Canon City to Cripple Creek. I have a book that shows some rockhounding areas, (which is also prospecting) but no sluicing/panning areas along that road. Andrew, you are right, mainly silver, but the active mines there now are registered as lode deposits for gold, and the big active mine you can see from Mitchell Mountian Road at our property is a gold mine. My guess is that it is also getting silver.
Troy#1
QUOTE (Caveman @ Mar 1 2013, 05:24 PM) *
The was a lot of copper mining there too, gold and other metals were byproducts of both silver and copper in that area. Rosita was also a major gold producing area, and is just south of Westcliffe. I do not know about the road from Canon City to Cripple Creek. I have a book that shows some rockhounding areas, (which is also prospecting) but no sluicing/panning areas along that road. Andrew, you are right, mainly silver, but the active mines there now are registered as lode deposits for gold, and the big active mine you can see from Mitchell Mountian Road at our property is a gold mine. My guess is that it is also getting silver.

Anyone know about phantom canyon which kinda starts at cripple creek and back out halfway between penrose and canon city saw a video on youtube of a guy panning phantom canyon but of course it never showed gold in the pan or say if it was even a legal area?

Texas creek maybe my best bet, please let me know if you find out any info on that area Caveman and anyone else have some ideas on the area please feel free to reply as I need all the help I can get!

Look forward to finding a spot?
Caveman
I cannot find the papers I had on the areas - and I think it was Cotopaxi, not Texas Creek. They could be GPAA or GPOC areas too, so they would not be "free" areas to prospect. There is a BLM office there in Canon City, but it is too late to check with the county clerk and assessor to find the public, unclaimed areas. Sorry that I could not be any help, I don't want to steer you into trouble. There is Point Bar, but the season ther doesn't open until April 1st, per the July 2010 BLM paper I just checked.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm...S_Chapter_3.pdf

3.20.1.13 Placer Mining
Recreational placer mining is permitted along the Arkansas River banks at Point Barr and on private mining
claims (assuming appropriate permissions). This traditional activity includes planning, dry washing, and
sluicing in search of valuable minerals, particularly gold. Notice level activities, which involve motorized
equipment such as high bankers and dredges, are also permitted along the Arkansas River. Motorized
placer mining operations require a permit, which can be obtained from the AHRA or Cañon City BLM
office. Within the Analysis Area, placer mining activities are concentrated at the Point Barr AHRA site, and
the season runs from April 1 through September 30 at this site.

This paper is more tha 2 years old, so it may no longer be valid, so check with the BLM office - I've heard that there is no moterized dredging on the Arkansas, but I don't know if that includes moterized equipement. The papers I have are at least a year old, so the info needs to be double-checked too, when I find them.

Good Luck!
Troy#1
QUOTE (Caveman @ Mar 1 2013, 08:09 PM) *
I cannot find the papers I had on the areas - and I think it was Cotopaxi, not Texas Creek. They could be GPAA or GPOC areas too, so they would not be "free" areas to prospect. There is a BLM office there in Canon City, but it is too late to check with the county clerk and assessor to find the public, unclaimed areas. Sorry that I could not be any help, I don't want to steer you into trouble. There is Point Bar, but the season ther doesn't open until April 1st, per the July 2010 BLM paper I just checked.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm...S_Chapter_3.pdf

3.20.1.13 Placer Mining
Recreational placer mining is permitted along the Arkansas River banks at Point Barr and on private mining
claims (assuming appropriate permissions). This traditional activity includes planning, dry washing, and
sluicing in search of valuable minerals, particularly gold. Notice level activities, which involve motorized
equipment such as high bankers and dredges, are also permitted along the Arkansas River. Motorized
placer mining operations require a permit, which can be obtained from the AHRA or Cañon City BLM
office. Within the Analysis Area, placer mining activities are concentrated at the Point Barr AHRA site, and
the season runs from April 1 through September 30 at this site.

This paper is more tha 2 years old, so it may no longer be valid, so check with the BLM office - I've heard that there is no moterized dredging on the Arkansas, but I don't know if that includes moterized equipement. The papers I have are at least a year old, so the info needs to be double-checked too, when I find them.

Good Luck!

"Hey Thanks again Caveman" you know if any of those claims from Gpoc or gpaa are worth a crap or they been hit pretty hard I would imagine??

Iam willing to drive a few hours if there is a decent spot within a 120miles or so and Cotopaxi Would be great since that is out towards my Moms place!
I have the GPAA guide but its crap as far as anything off there claims!
Caveman
My only experience is on Clear Creek in a couple of places... mostly very fine. I have not been on any GPOC, so I couldn't say what is there on any of them.

Take care and Have Fun!
Troy#1
QUOTE (Caveman @ Mar 1 2013, 11:21 PM) *
My only experience is on Clear Creek in a couple of places... mostly very fine. I have not been on any GPOC, so I couldn't say what is there on any of them.

Take care and Have Fun!

yeah my father in law goes there once a year, iam still looking into cotopaxi or westcliff but dont see nothing maybe buenu vista? anyone know if its open this time of year for GPAA or worth the 2.5 hour drive? any of the GPOC claims info would be cool too if any one knows about them??
Wish the CP life membership wasnt so much cause I would love to try some of the private claims from other members and want to get into dredging someday =(
swizz
Hi Troy and welcome to CP! sign0016.gif
2c.gif
My suggestion is to learn the nuances of land status research so that you can become a "true" prospector/small scale miner. You don't need to suck on the hind tit of a GPAA or GPOC claim... stake your own claim. I learned everything needed to do this in relatively short order from the kind folks here. I'm now a proud claim owner and know my rights very well. Land status research has become second nature.
If you were to join here at an Annual level you would be quickly introduced to the basics of land status research since all of the Annual CP areas require the user to verify the status of the BLM and NFS lands that this club recommends. That's a damn good start to learning the basics... forces you to learn it if you wanna legally use these areas. Do you want to learn?
Any miner worth his salt knows the basics of land status research and abides/is protected by the mining laws of 1872. These are things you need to know (unless you're content sucking hind tit).
Explore your public lands for Gold & Gems and stake a claim. That's how real miners operate and what we strive to teach here. Colorado is an exceptional state to do this in and we're lucky to live here. Strongly suggest that you take advantage if you're serious about it. Consider this site an oasis if that's your prerogative. We're here to help.
cheers.gif

Dypheron
QUOTE (Troy#1 @ Mar 1 2013, 06:14 PM) *
Anyone know about phantom canyon which kinda starts at cripple creek and back out halfway between penrose and canon city saw a video on youtube of a guy panning phantom canyon but of course it never showed gold in the pan or say if it was even a legal area?

Texas creek maybe my best bet, please let me know if you find out any info on that area Caveman and anyone else have some ideas on the area please feel free to reply as I need all the help I can get!

Look forward to finding a spot?

As far as I've seen phantom canyon is bare, all I found up there was dirt, a few pretty rocks, and a dead dog. jawdrop.gif Also, there is a lot of private property that boarders the road, some posted some not. There is a large pull off area about 3/4 mile or so from where the asphalt ends going up (right at the first tunnel) that has a wash/seasonal stream that I pulled a bunch of material out of, probably 8 buckets or so worth with not even a speck of gold to be found. Lot of black sand and a few tiny garnets. I went up there based on probably the same video you did (woman filming and commenting on her husband panning?). Nice drive though.

The two areas that seem to come up a lot in discussions for places to go are clear creek and fairplay beach. Both are known gold producing areas, with caveats. Fairplay charges a nominal fee for a permit, and there's a large claim on the western end of clear creek if you're working the stretch in Jefferson County.

$1300 seems a bit much for gear to be starting out, I'm maybe $300 into gear, and that's pans, 2 sluices, and buckets. Do snacks and beer consumed while reading the forums count as gear? smiley-laughing021.gif
Caveman
Only if you're a State Senator! groucho.gif
Troy#1
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 2 2013, 04:03 PM) *
Hi Troy and welcome to CP! sign0016.gif
2c.gif
My suggestion is to learn the nuances of land status research so that you can become a "true" prospector/small scale miner. You don't need to suck on the hind tit of a GPAA or GPOC claim... stake your own claim. I learned everything needed to do this in relatively short order from the kind folks here. I'm now a proud claim owner and know my rights very well. Land status research has become second nature.
If you were to join here at an Annual level you would be quickly introduced to the basics of land status research since all of the Annual CP areas require the user to verify the status of the BLM and NFS lands that this club recommends. That's a damn good start to learning the basics... forces you to learn it if you wanna legally use these areas. Do you want to learn?
Any miner worth his salt knows the basics of land status research and abides/is protected by the mining laws of 1872. These are things you need to know (unless you're content sucking hind tit).
Explore your public lands for Gold & Gems and stake a claim. That's how real miners operate and what we strive to teach here. Colorado is an exceptional state to do this in and we're lucky to live here. Strongly suggest that you take advantage if you're serious about it. Consider this site an oasis if that's your prerogative. We're here to help.
cheers.gif

Yes I really want to learn and only joined the GPAA thinking the guide would be helpful but its really not and maybe find a claim that I could learn on, I would love to get my own claim and I have all the time in the world to prospect as I dont get much work around here but what kind of money is involed it getting a claim???

I would really love to have an area to learn without any worries and know that I have a chance at making something out of it one day, I have watched some of the videos you recommend from the prospecting channel and working on getting the rest of the things I need but until I at least get out and find a spot and some color I dont want to be putting to much into it.

I will join up asap cause Iam serious about this and like I said I need all the help I can get! newhere.gif
Troy#1
QUOTE (Dypheron @ Mar 2 2013, 04:13 PM) *
As far as I've seen phantom canyon is bare, all I found up there was dirt, a few pretty rocks, and a dead dog. jawdrop.gif Also, there is a lot of private property that boarders the road, some posted some not. There is a large pull off area about 3/4 mile or so from where the asphalt ends going up (right at the first tunnel) that has a wash/seasonal stream that I pulled a bunch of material out of, probably 8 buckets or so worth with not even a speck of gold to be found. Lot of black sand and a few tiny garnets. I went up there based on probably the same video you did (woman filming and commenting on her husband panning?). Nice drive though.

The two areas that seem to come up a lot in discussions for places to go are clear creek and fairplay beach. Both are known gold producing areas, with caveats. Fairplay charges a nominal fee for a permit, and there's a large claim on the western end of clear creek if you're working the stretch in Jefferson County.

$1300 seems a bit much for gear to be starting out, I'm maybe $300 into gear, and that's pans, 2 sluices, and buckets. Do snacks and beer consumed while reading the forums count as gear? smiley-laughing021.gif

Haha yep thats the video, I have a place on the other end on shelf road I take my dogs to play in the water and it was loaded with black sand never panned it cause wasnt sure about the laws there.

But as far as the 1300 it was mostly the ATgold from garret and the A52 sluice plus I got the badger from Apex, rubber boots, garret pan set and some other little stuff and it added up quick! atomic.gif
yeah I here about those alot too, I think clear creek is pretty far from here but fairplays pretty close and I here buena vista is pretty good as well but as far as this time of year what do you thinks worth the drive??
Dypheron
QUOTE (Troy#1 @ Mar 3 2013, 04:29 PM) *
Haha yep thats the video, I have a place on the other end on shelf road I take my dogs to play in the water and it was loaded with black sand never panned it cause wasnt sure about the laws there.

But as far as the 1300 it was mostly the ATgold from garret and the A52 sluice plus I got the badger from Apex, rubber boots, garret pan set and some other little stuff and it added up quick! atomic.gif
yeah I here about those alot too, I think clear creek is pretty far from here but fairplays pretty close and I here buena vista is pretty good as well but as far as this time of year what do you thinks worth the drive??

If you have the means to get to Denver you're within range of Clear Creek. The open panning area starts just west of Golden on the west side of the first tunnel and runs all the way to at least the county line. Not sure about past that. As I mentioned there is an active claim that starts at I believe it's Elk Creek and goes downstream for a mile. Other than that it's fair game. I've seen people panning in Denver itself but I think that kind of takes the fun out of it. Some of the more seasoned members can offer more information as I've started fairly recently myself.

As for this time of year I'd say that if there's no significant ice buildup on the stream you choose and you aren't afraid of the cold water then go for it! I know that Clear Creek was under some heavy ice the last time I was up there about a month and a half ago, probably about the same now.
Troy#1
QUOTE (Dypheron @ Mar 3 2013, 05:05 PM) *
If you have the means to get to Denver you're within range of Clear Creek. The open panning area starts just west of Golden on the west side of the first tunnel and runs all the way to at least the county line. Not sure about past that. As I mentioned there is an active claim that starts at I believe it's Elk Creek and goes downstream for a mile. Other than that it's fair game. I've seen people panning in Denver itself but I think that kind of takes the fun out of it. Some of the more seasoned members can offer more information as I've started fairly recently myself.

As for this time of year I'd say that if there's no significant ice buildup on the stream you choose and you aren't afraid of the cold water then go for it! I know that Clear Creek was under some heavy ice the last time I was up there about a month and a half ago, probably about the same now.

Hey thanks Dypheron I will head up that way in the middle of the next week when my sluice gets here smiley-chores016.gif , does open panning mean hand feeding a sluice and digging as well??
Caveman
Yes. This info is for Clear Creek. There is also open panning in the city of Golden, but limited to stream sluices and pans. Stop by Gold-n-Detectors for more information on the laws and regs there. There is no prospecting in the city of Wheatridge period. Arvada also allows prospecting on Clear Creek and Ralston Creek, but check with their Parks and Recreation for current regulations. As far as I understand, there is open prospecting in Adams County along Clear Creek, but limited to non-motorized equipment in the open space. I usually run a battery powered power sluice there. All digging is limited to the high water mark for the day in all these areas, and all holes must be backfilled when you leave. Golden has extra regs on where you can dig, so again, check at Gold-n-Detectors. Rule of thumb is to stay at least 100 ft away from bridges and over-passes. Hope this helps.

Good Luck!
Dypheron
QUOTE (Troy#1 @ Mar 3 2013, 05:24 PM) *
Hey thanks Dypheron I will head up that way in the middle of the next week when my sluice gets here smiley-chores016.gif , does open panning mean hand feeding a sluice and digging as well??

As long as you're not pulling material from above the high water mark you're fine. Make sure that you fill any holes that you make, and yes, a sluice would be fine. You could call Jefferson County to verify that nothing has changed for this year.
Dypheron
Dang it Caveman, beat me to it!
Caveman
Wasn't racing... caveman.gif biggrin.gif
CP
Up on Clear creek above tunnel 3 that claim begins at Elk creek's dump in and goes upstream for a mile rather than downstream. Great chances of finding some nice colors up there folks, have a great time and don't forget the cameras. char098.gif
Dypheron
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Mar 3 2013, 06:04 PM) *
Up on Clear creek above tunnel 3 that claim begins at Elk creek's dump in and goes upstream for a mile rather than downstream. Great chances of finding some nice colors up there folks, have a great time and don't forget the cameras. char098.gif

Whoops. In any case it's very well marked.
Troy#1
QUOTE (Dypheron @ Mar 3 2013, 06:16 PM) *
Whoops. In any case it's very well marked.

Hey thanks for the help I will try my first outing hopefully wednesday weather permiting I been looking into old mine shafts tailings too and from what I hear they are open to metal detecting if on BLM or NFS anyone ever try there luck at them, My ATgold is here tuesday and wanted to test her out somewhere besides the park! excited.gif

Thanks again everyone thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
swizz
QUOTE (Troy#1 @ Mar 3 2013, 04:16 PM) *
... what kind of money is involed it getting a claim???

It's not very expensive to stake your own.
If you stake your own claim the initial filing fees are in the ballpark of $200. +/-
After that you are responsible for paying annual filing fees to legally maintain ownership of the claim. If you miss the annual deadline (Aug 31)... you lose the claim.
Basically, there are two methods of filing annually for an individual Location Claim once you own it:
1) Provide a statement of (at least $100 worth) maintenance performed on that land and pay $10 per year
2) Use Annual Maint Fee Waiver option and pay $140 per year
You can use either option each year. They require that you pay the $140 (included in that $200 +/- estimate) for your initial filing but it's up to the claim owner after that.
I prefer to pay the $140 per year which leaves no legal room for maintenance scrutiny from the land mgmt agency (typically NFS or BLM). For myself and many claim owners this is a wise decision. Many others prefer the $10 annual route but in my opinion.... it leaves your flanks exposed.
Woody
Hi Troy,

The spot Caveman mentioned, “Point Bar”, will be the closest to your location. Good thing that you have that there because the next known gold producing location will be considerably further. There is gold up around Cripple Creek but it is limited to only a few drainages and is pretty much all claimed or being mined. There will be a fair amount of people at the Point Bar site every weekend as it is a well visited public spot. It’s a ways up the road from Cotopaxi, say 15/20 miles or so, and is kind of squirrelly getting in to. It is located near Wellsville but you have to go past the town, cross the river, and then back down CO Rd 7 a few miles to get to the site. Check your favorite internet map site prior to heading up there for best reference. Anyway, there should be someone up there that will help you get started and show you if you are doing it right or not.

Kudos to Caveman for posting that reg on Point Bar. I haven’t been up there in 20 years or so but did not know it was seasonal.
Caveman
QUOTE (Woody @ Mar 4 2013, 09:26 AM) *
Kudos to Caveman for posting that reg on Point Bar. I haven’t been up there in 20 years or so but did not know it was seasonal.

Thanks Woody! Paydirt is not the only thing you have to dig when you get into this.... emoticon-misc-004.gif
Troy#1
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 4 2013, 07:19 AM) *
It's not very expensive to stake your own.
If you stake your own claim the initial filing fees are in the ballpark of $200. +/-
After that you are responsible for paying annual filing fees to legally maintain ownership of the claim. If you miss the annual deadline (Aug 31)... you lose the claim.
Basically, there are two methods of filing annually for an individual Location Claim once you own it:
1) Provide a statement of (at least $100 worth) maintenance performed on that land and pay $10 per year
2) Use Annual Maint Fee Waiver option and pay $140 per year
You can use either option each year. They require that you pay the $140 (included in that $200 +/- estimate) for your initial filing but it's up to the claim owner after that.
I prefer to pay the $140 per year which leaves no legal room for maintenance scrutiny from the land mgmt agency (typically NFS or BLM). For myself and many claim owners this is a wise decision. Many others prefer the $10 annual route but in my opinion.... it leaves your flanks exposed.

Wow I had no idea it was that cheap Iam sure theres got to be alot of paperwork BS to deal with though?
I would really love that more than anything so Iam down to pay for it but finding the right spot seems like the hard part! fishing1.gif

Thanks for letting me know Swizz!
swizz
QUOTE (Troy#1 @ Mar 5 2013, 08:35 PM) *
... theres got to be alot of paperwork BS to deal with though?

No, it's not too excessive. All has to be done right and in proper order though.
Troy#1
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 5 2013, 09:19 PM) *
No, it's not too excessive. All has to be done right and in proper order though.

I think I read somewhere on here that being a member they give you areas to look into that are unclaimed if so would they help in any of the paperwork aspects as well, dont want to sound like I cant do anything on my own but dont want to be one to do things wrong ether!
russau
and please keep copys of all paperwork/corespondances. it seems some gubermint agencies are a little sloppy with the paperwork and tend to lose stuff. cyb!
swizz
QUOTE (Troy#1 @ Mar 5 2013, 09:42 PM) *
I think I read somewhere on here that being a member they give you areas to look into that are unclaimed if so would they help in any of the paperwork aspects as well...

No.
If you are a club member you will receive some additional help through the process of finding and staking your own researched location if needed. Dan didn't research club areas to drop them in your lap and stake claim on. stop.gif Good Lord, what would you learn from that... how to steal someone else's homework?
The CP club researched areas are not provided for you to walk up and stake claim upon.
As a Lifetime member I can testify that Dan helped be tremendously through the learning process while I was staking and filing my own claim... which I researched on my own. As a benefit of being a Lifetime Member he consulted me one-on-one outside of the forums, tirelessly. This was EXTREMELY educational and valuable to me when I needed it the most. He did not do any filing or ground work FOR me... instead verbally guided me through the process when needed and saw to it that I physically did everything on my own. He is a very knowledgeable consultant who possesses a wealth of knowledge in this arena. It was an incredible learning experience for me and I'm eternally grateful.
The CP researched areas are there to help you learn how to verify land status and get some goodies while you're at it. These areas provide users the first true steps to truly realize their rights and begin learning the actual Small Scale Mining process. Using the CP club researched areas forces you to learn how to verify land status. These areas need to be verified prior to each club member's use. I can't reiterate how important this is. EACH time a member uses a CP Club researched area they must first verify that it is still legal to prospect there.... EACH and every time... land status is subject to change every day, that is why. Once the land status verification research skill is mastered... many new doors are opened and the sky is the limit. This skill is very basic and NOT hard to utilize. It is possibly the most basic skill and certainly a prerequisite to Small Scale Mining.

We're here to help you learn how to legitimize your own discovered locations and stake claim, as a real Small Scale Miner does.
Lot's of people like to say "all of the good areas are already taken". Nothing could be more bullshit than that.... it's the lazy man's swan song. Colorado is rich in unclaimed and undiscovered areas that are claim-worthy. Ambition, education, and research will reveal rich areas worthy of claim throughout the state if one is willing to get off their ass and dig in. Is this hard work? You bet, great things don't come easy. Worthwhile? Yes.... tenfold!
I'm not pegging you as a person with a lazy man's attitude/approach because you seem sincere in motivation.... and there's also nothing wrong with a person who just wants to keep it simple and play at designated recreational prospecting areas (although they are not true Small Scale Miners and do not enjoy the same rights). Most real Small Scale Miners would prefer that recreational hobby users stay in those recreational areas, do their thing, enjoy their "hobby", and live happily ever after. I personally prefer to mine for-real (much more than a casual hobby) and don't fault others for their choices unless it is damaging to Mining rights and Federal rights of Small Scale Mining... and in some cases uneducated recreational users can cause damage to the public perception of actual Small Scale Mining... that's when it pisses off the Commercial and Small Scale Miner.
Just telling it like it is and hope I'm not coming off as being too brash. I'm a bit passionate about this.
russau
so true!
Dypheron
QUOTE (Exerpt from TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE FOR COLORADOPROSPECTOR.COM
)
Club members WILL NOT re-transmit, re-post, or re-produce, in or on
any type of media known now or in the future, any of the prospecting
"area(s)" in all or part, or any of the corresponding information
specific to each area. Including but not limited to maps, directions,
descriptions, coordinates without the express written consent of
coloradoprospector.com.

exception: Valid club members may download and print information
on prospecting areas for "members personal use"
ONLY!

COLORADO PROSPECTOR CLUB INFORMATION MAY NOT BE SHARED
WITH ANY PERSON OR PARTY THAT IS NOT A CURRENT AND VALID
CLUB MEMBER OF COLORADOPROSPECTOR.COM AND OF THE
APPROPRIATE LEVEL OF MEMBERSHIP.

CLAIM FILING

CLAIM FILING IS ENCOURAGED FOR THOSE CLUB MEMBERS WHO WISH TO
LEARN/PERSUE THOSE VENTURES. COLORADO PROSPECTOR CLUB RESEARCHED
INFORMATION MAY NOT BE USED AT ANYTIME, DURING OR AFTER CLUB
MEMBERSHIP EXPIRES, FOR FILING PURPOSES NOT WITHIN THE INTENT OF
THE MINING LAW. INCLUDING FILING ANY CLAIM ON RESEARCHED AREAS FOR
"CLUB MEMBERS USE" OF THIS OR ANY OTHER CLUB.
CLAIMS MUST BE FILED FOR MINING PURPOSES ONLY!

Not to mention Chris it's actually a stipulation you have to agree to in order to be a member. Yes, I read the ToS when I joined. At the very least the act of filing a claim is in effect giving club information to a non member, BAM, instant terms of service violation and room for legal intervention.

That'd be a pretty ballsy move to make, especially considering the level of research ability around here would make it pretty obvious who did it.

Caveman
Well said, Swizz!

Right now, I'm sticking to recreational areas to learn my equipment, what can go wrong with it (and how to fix it), what I need (and don't need), and what I can and can't do without when I go. Plus, I identify what I tend to forget. (it was a shovel one time, hoses the next, etc). Even in the "recreational" areas, you need to check what is and is not allowed, exactly where you can go, who to ask permission to get access when you have to cross private property, and if you can park in a particular lot.

You have to be sociable and talk to people, you can't just let someone else do your legwork, or you will be doing a lot of wishing (something I was very accustomed to doing - I had an aversion to "breaking ice", so to speak). Get online and search for areas to go, and if they are private and/or already claimed, find out who to ask and ask. At worst, they can only say "no", granted in a multitude of ways (and heat!), but you will be surprised at how many will say yes. I learned this asking permission to hunt and fish back east and out here. In all cases, be courtious, and expect to here a "no". You'd be surprised how many times they called me back to the door when I said "Ok, thanks for your time" and was given permission to access. Smiles and a pleasent attitude will get you far - even when you look (and smell blink.gif ) like a caveman!

Later!
Troy#1
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 6 2013, 08:06 AM) *
No.
If you are a club member you will receive some additional help through the process of finding and staking your own researched location if needed. Dan didn't research club areas to drop them in your lap and stake claim on. stop.gif Good Lord, what would you learn from that... how to steal someone else's homework?
The CP club researched areas are not provided for you to walk up and stake claim upon.
As a Lifetime member I can testify that Dan helped be tremendously through the learning process while I was staking and filing my own claim... which I researched on my own. As a benefit of being a Lifetime Member he consulted me one-on-one outside of the forums, tirelessly. This was EXTREMELY educational and valuable to me when I needed it the most. He did not do any filing or ground work FOR me... instead verbally guided me through the process when needed and saw to it that I physically did everything on my own. He is a very knowledgeable consultant who possesses a wealth of knowledge in this arena. It was an incredible learning experience for me and I'm eternally grateful.
The CP researched areas are there to help you learn how to verify land status and get some goodies while you're at it. These areas provide users the first true steps to truly realize their rights and begin learning the actual Small Scale Mining process. Using the CP club researched areas forces you to learn how to verify land status. These areas need to be verified prior to each club member's use. I can't reiterate how important this is. EACH time a member uses a CP Club researched area they must first verify that it is still legal to prospect there.... EACH and every time... land status is subject to change every day, that is why. Once the land status verification research skill is mastered... many new doors are opened and the sky is the limit. This skill is very basic and NOT hard to utilize. It is possibly the most basic skill and certainly a prerequisite to Small Scale Mining.

We're here to help you learn how to legitimize your own discovered locations and stake claim, as a real Small Scale Miner does.
Lot's of people like to say "all of the good areas are already taken". Nothing could be more bullshit than that.... it's the lazy man's swan song. Colorado is rich in unclaimed and undiscovered areas that are claim-worthy. Ambition, education, and research will reveal rich areas worthy of claim throughout the state if one is willing to get off their ass and dig in. Is this hard work? You bet, great things don't come easy. Worthwhile? Yes.... tenfold!
I'm not pegging you as a person with a lazy man's attitude/approach because you seem sincere in motivation.... and there's also nothing wrong with a person who just wants to keep it simple and play at designated recreational prospecting areas (although they are not true Small Scale Miners and do not enjoy the same rights). Most real Small Scale Miners would prefer that recreational hobby users stay in those recreational areas, do their thing, enjoy their "hobby", and live happily ever after. I personally prefer to mine for-real (much more than a casual hobby) and don't fault others for their choices unless it is damaging to Mining rights and Federal rights of Small Scale Mining... and in some cases uneducated recreational users can cause damage to the public perception of actual Small Scale Mining... that's when it pisses off the Commercial and Small Scale Miner.
Just telling it like it is and hope I'm not coming off as being too brash. I'm a bit passionate about this.

Of course not I understand completely if you dont have passion for what you do why do it!

What would one need to get started verifying land status and would you recommend a GPS unit to find the spots your looking for?

Thanks for the help!! everyone here is amazing greensmilies-012.gif
Troy#1
I just paid my yearly and was wondering a little more about the member researched areas are these open to go prospect or do I need a prospecting permit??
swizz
QUOTE (Troy#1 @ Mar 6 2013, 02:09 PM) *
Of course not I understand completely if you dont have passion for what you do why do it!

What would one need to get started verifying land status and would you recommend a GPS unit to find the spots your looking for?

Thanks for the help!! everyone here is amazing greensmilies-012.gif

Troy, you are a good man. Thanks for understanding! You are most welcome for any help you receive here.... a great group of people to be sure.
I'm like Caveman (except I don't smell like a caveman, well maybe sometimes)... I was a little intimidated by the process at first and am not really a social butterfly... I dreaded contacting County and Federal agencies. Once I got my feet wet, the process was incredibly easy and empowering to realize my rights. Now I feel like they all work for ME (they do after all!).
I don't mean to sound like I'm repeatedly pimping the CP club, but.....
The easiest way to learn land status research would be to pick a CP club area, check it's status, and work there. I suggest this as being the easiest indoctrination because the status-check information is listed for the description of each club researched area. All of the contact information and coordinates for any given club area is listed with each location. You definitely don't need a GPS but it's helpful for sure. The 49ers had no such GPS devices and got through everything just fine... the laws haven't changed.
Learning MTRS data is bottom line (meridian, township, range, section). This is how you communicate location information to Federal and County agencies.... they speak that language and expect you to when communicating with them. MTRS mapping data for Colorado can easily be found online, lots of free maps for that. I believe that some Counties and Federal agencies are starting to warm-up to GPS coordinate data but it's always been the MTRS data that remains critical for land status research, staking, and filing.
But ya... going through the motions with the researched CP club areas shortens the learning curve considerably since much of the information needed to do a quick verification is made available in print by Dan and Denise. After an area or two you would be good at it for sure.
swizz
QUOTE (Troy#1 @ Mar 6 2013, 04:00 PM) *
I just paid my yearly and was wondering a little more about the member researched areas are these open to go prospect or do I need a prospecting permit??

No permit necessary for any club areas that I'm aware of. Permits are typically a function of designated recreational areas that hobbyists use. Club properties are on your land. You just need to verify (County) if there has been a "location notice" filed for that area within the last 90 days. If there has been no location notice filed for that area you are good as Gold to prospect there. County will need MTRS data to check if an area has had notice filed. Your next trip is only a phone call away!
Welcome to CP! sign0016.gif
You have just joined the elite ranks of prospecting and well on your way to becoming a legitimate Small Scale Miner.
Troy#1
Yeah maybe thats what she was asking me for I didnt have that info for #11 area so I will have to look into that? Thanks Again and again and..... thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
swizz
No permit necessary at that area.
For future Club area discussions... start topic in the Members Protected Forum.
I'm the culprit who derailed this thread and I apologize. unsure.gif
Troy#1
Ok I will go to there been trying but it keeps saying wrong password!? then I try and register for a new account for members only and it says email in use already!

Troy#1
QUOTE (Troy#1 @ Mar 6 2013, 05:28 PM) *
Ok I will go to there been trying but it keeps saying wrong password!? then I try and register for a new account for members only and it says email in use already!

Ok I feel stupid the password is case sensitive, sorry Denise for bugging you lol greensmilies-025.gif
swizz
Looks like you're in there now! happy088.gif
CP
Great Q & A's folks and thank you very much for the kind compliments and care shown for club information!
I'm actually very happy to see that you have all taken such an approach and I'm also happy to demonstrate a "can do" from the "can can"....pun intended.
We try to keep very little in the "can't can" around here so this is gonna' be fun.....hang on everyone, this one might throw your mind for a loop this morn. wacko.gif smiley-cool14.gif

Concerning cliam filing upon any of the clubs researched areas........YOU CAN! That's the beauty of it! IF you were to make a DISCOVERY on an open area I've researched and the deposit is of a viable quantity you have the RIGHT to stake a claim. happy088.gif Myself nor anyone else (including and especially gov officials) CAN NOT tell you that you can't!
As Swizz said and you all found posted on the website, I will be more than happy to assist any club members with quesions about these procedures but.....you will be doing your own field work as well as paper work and going through all those steps for yourselves as claim stakers and then owners once completed.
That means all research, field mapping and descriptions etc.....more than likely you will not find mine or someone elses old claim paper work to just refile.....that isn't how you learn to do this.
The clubs researched areas are found to be open or void of claims when I completed my research and I do not look for closed claims to do my research for club areas. CP club areas are much more expansive than a single claim with some being thousands of acres literally and you may find many many other minerals besides gold at any sites in Colorado!

Now as for the can't part that is in the TOA....my research can not be used to file claims for "any club's use or members use" and that includes the Colorado Prospector club.
That is not within the intent of the mining law and we will never hold a location claim as a club for the club members to use.....Nope not gonna happen at this club!
And that's what that clause is for......not only will it not be allowed for this club, I will not tolerate another club listing one of my researched areas as a "new club claim" for any club.
Does that make sense?

At the personal level and within the intent of the mining law (for mining purposes) we do encourage staking and filing......and yepper even on the researched areas......IF (see above)
I've helped or consulted with many many many claims owners and even helped one LT member in the past file a claim on one of the researched areas in the past! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Keep on pimpin' it Swizz! CP_Member.gif extra_happy.gif
swizz
That clears things up a LOT... thanks!

awwwww yeaahhhh...
Caveman
Damn, but you were too cool for school! smiley-laughing021.gif

Darn fancy too. Only thing missing is the cat.

caveman.gif
Dypheron
I agree, that's a pretty fancy hat there, swizz. Very fitting of a fancy lad such as yourself.
swizz
ok, I admit it....... I'M FANCY! (there, I said it)
... and quite franky, the ladies find me most charming as a result. One can still be a miner and be fancy you know, although it has it's pitfalls. I may have to manicure in the wilderness more frequently, clean my silver fork between meals, and cook my beans in an ornate metal pan at base camp but that makes me no less a man (just a fancier man).
And YOU Nigel Brandon sir.... you are no Fancy Lad as previously suggested... you sir are a common Dandy. That's right, a Dandy.
Now, if you'll excuse me I'll get back to darning that dreadful hole in my fancy mining pants. chip chip chaplin.gif
Denise
QUOTE (Troy#1 @ Mar 6 2013, 05:36 PM) *
Ok I feel stupid the password is case sensitive, sorry Denise for bugging you lol greensmilies-025.gif

Not a problem at all Troy, just glad to help. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Dan looked at the picture you put up Chris and said "Is that Chris?".....I laughed and said "no, see look that guy has hair." smiley-laughing021.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.