ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Vid Monitor Your Claim?
swizz
post Feb 23 2010, 10:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,983

I reckon if yer the paranoid type (like me? maybe). Seems like this would be a pretty dern good way to monitor one's claim to see who's parking there and what they might be up to.. also could provide imagery evidence if ever needed, especially with multiple cameras. Motion-sensor activation would have to be a key feature.
I haven't staked claim yet but parking is very limited in all of my potential areas.
Good idea or little big brother? Do any of you already do this? I wonder if miners in the old days would have used this technology if it were available.
hmmmmm
This is one of many on the market used primarily by hunters:
Wildlife Cam

I'm not thinking of monitoring 'live'... more like, checking the memory card occasionally if I were ever to do it.
what ye think?

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CP
post Feb 23 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I've seen these before and they can have some great uses for sure.
Prospectors paranoid? NO WAY! emoticon-misc-004.gif jawdrop.gif smiley-laughing021.gif In fact I can think of several claim owners in different states that I know of already using them. char098.gif

Thanks for posting up the link for everyone.

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
RichDColorado
post Feb 23 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #3

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 6,577

Just thinking like a poacher/claim jumper for a sec...if I'm trespassing on somebody's land and I hear a click coming from something with a lens that's mounted on a tree, I'm probably going to soon own something with a lens that USED to be mounted on a tree. I don't think I could bring that home with me if I was a deer or elk because I don't have opposable thumbs.

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Feb 24 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #4

Master Mucker

Member No.: 98

I think it could be a questionable issue in court. Unless they are patented claims, monitoring the lawful use of public lands by surreptitious means could be a criminal act. IIRC CA, NV, OR and possibly UT would have a problem with it. You can video a public setting in CO, but in those other states I don't think they specified the methods used, but I do recall in CA and NV it can be criminal.

Sure, maybe I'm not breaking the law while there, but then what if I'm taking a whiz or ......? You get the idea.

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Feb 24 2010, 08:01 AM
Post #5

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 6,813

swizz,

I like the way you think!

Law enforcement has been using remote cameras for many, many years. The newer technology and reasonable pricing makes it easier for public and private interests to utilize as well.

Many prosecutions for growing pot, cutting firewood in closed areas, poaching etc. have been the result of well placed cameras and video devices.

Hey claimjumper(s)...SMILE smileywaving.gif you're already on camera... char098.gif Its just a matter of time until someone puts a funny clip on a TV reality show or posts it to the www smiley-laughing021.gif

ASTROBLEME

--------------------
Annual Dues Paying Member Since 2008

Tonko Mining Company

"Some day this crater is going to be a greatly talked about place, and if the above credit is due, as is certainly the case, I would like to have it generally known for the sake of the children." Daniel Moreau Barringer 2/1/1912 in a letter about the Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona USA

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Feb 24 2010, 07:29 PM
Post #6

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (RichDColorado @ Feb 23 2010, 07:19 PM) *
Just thinking like a poacher/claim jumper for a sec...if I'm trespassing on somebody's land and I hear a click coming from something with a lens that's mounted on a tree, I'm probably going to soon own something with a lens that USED to be mounted on a tree. I don't think I could bring that home with me if I was a deer or elk because I don't have opposable thumbs.

RichDColorado:

Perhaps they might "hear a click" from a low-budget/low-tech surveillance system put into place on valuable claims, but there are several extremely high value claims right here in Colorado that are protected by cutting edge, remote digital technology, that is controlled by cellular phone communications. A claim jumper won't “hear a click” while stealing from those unless they have ears like a leprechaun.

In high profile theft instances, the first indication a claim jumper(s) is caught is by contact from a process server. Mining companies don't rely on local law enforcement very often to protect their interests through criminal charges. Most of their actions are civil and swift! As an example…you seldom hear about anyone “claim jumping DeBeers?”

ASTROBLEME

--------------------

Tonko Mining Company

"Some day this crater is going to be a greatly talked about place, and if the above credit is due, as is certainly the case, I would like to have it generally known for the sake of the children." Daniel Moreau Barringer 2/1/1912 in a letter about the Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona USA

+Quote Post
RichDColorado
post Feb 24 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #7

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 6,577

Hi Astrobleme - I'm just thinking like a bad guy, but not acting like one. I would imagine there are some fairly elaborate security systems in place on the higher dollar commercial operations. With my luck I'd wander into some high tech security field and get zapped in a crossfire of lasers.

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Mar 6 2010, 07:48 AM
Post #8

Master Mucker

Yup.
Klingons on your left, Cylons on your right.....

Rich, you'd be toast. smiley-laughing021.gif

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Mar 6 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #9

Rock Bar!

There has been some news about the increasing problem of pot growers using explosives and posting armed guards in sniper locations to protect their crops in remote locations on public lands. Some of the more sophisticated operations use remote cameras to check up on possible thieves or law enforcement efforts. Be careful out there when you are prospecting, especially near mountain streams as the growers are starting to developing elaborate irrigation systems in areas that have water and soil types suitable for cultivation.

Here's a recent story you must read...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...atiJVgD9E64ET00

I'm going to start with this posting as another topic since it is such an important safety issue for prospectors.

ASTROBLEME

--------------------

Tonko Mining Company

+Quote Post
Forestwalker
post Mar 7 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #10

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 7,013

I think they are all digital so no click.

--------------------
Must... Find... A diamond!

+Quote Post
Persistence
post May 28 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #11

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 7,242

Pretty sure an infrared camera or scope would show any hidden cameras or surveillance gear.

+Quote Post
swizz
post May 30 2010, 07:09 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Persistence @ May 28 2010, 11:44 PM) *
Pretty sure an infrared camera or scope would show any hidden cameras or surveillance gear.

If someone is hell-bent enough to use infrared just to claim jump... then sure, I guess.
If their infrared "scope" is attached to a rifle (and it's not hunting season) and they're carrying prospecting equipment - they could well be subject to mineral trespass, 'make my day' law, and greeted with a Glock .40 cal if it's on MY claim. char092.gif
Best not to claim jump, there's plenty of other places out there. happy088.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post May 30 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #13

Master Mucker

I guess post #4 is too stupid to consider.
Man, makes sure you guys know what the laws are, because if you screw up and break one, the person videoed, if done so unlawfully (intent i irrelevant) you can lose those claims AND your equipment.

You have to consider the legal status of the claims. Patented or unpatented?
You have to consider the state laws, as well as federal and local.

--------------------

+Quote Post
swizz
post May 31 2010, 06:04 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Coalbunny @ May 30 2010, 11:22 PM) *
I guess post #4 is too stupid to consider.
Man, makes sure you guys know what the laws are, because if you screw up and break one, the person videoed, if done so unlawfully.........

(psst- disclaimer for Coalbunny, I don't currently have a claim. My post was intended to entertain the fantasy that "Persisence" presented suggesting that claimjumpers carry "infrared cameras and scopes" as a means to avoid detection from tree mounted surveillance cameras. Be assured that this make-believe scenario will not play out as suggested.)
WHEN I file my claim ALL pertinent laws (state, local, and federal) will be closely followed as I'm a stickler for detail.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Persistence
post May 31 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #15

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 7,242

Ok, I merely stated that an infrared camera or scope would pick out such devices. I don't recall advocating claim jumping.

This is fun though, I'll continue to play devil's advocate on the possible scenario.

I personally have no interest in claim jumping. However if I was hiking along and discovered a surveillance camera, it would make me curious as to why someone would go through the trouble of putting one up. Privacy concerns aside, it just might attract more attention than it's worth.

Furthermore, I highly doubt the "make my day law" would apply at all in your case. It might if it was an older patented claim. So in theory, I would be legally justified to use my .45 in self defense if someone threatened me with say, a .40 Glock.

As far as I know, an un-patented claim doesn't legally prevent anyone from hiking, hunting, fishing, etc. on said claim. It merely bestows the mineral rights to the claimant.

So in theory, I could hike across your claim with a full pack of prospecting gear, take some pictures and move on. Nothing could be done about it unless I actually tried to work your claim.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 05:31 AM