ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Prospecting in Wyoming, part two
Coalbunny
post Jun 6 2004, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Master Mucker

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

Went to a birthday party with a neighbor yesterday and got a bit of prospecting done in the mean time. His daughter had her fifth birthday, so there was a BBQ and everyone went swimming in the North Platte River, just north of Sinclair, WY. I didn't have any gifts for the little girl, but I did give her some lessons on gold panning. Her (5), her first little sister (4) and oldest brother (80), had the most interest. She did ok until she saw all them "pretty rocks" in the water. laugh.gif After that her interest was in the pretty rocks than in the gold panning. Dang kids! laugh.gif Anyhow, she did ok for her age with my Garrett Clean-up pan.

I, on the other hand, didn't do too bad. I did a total of two pans of material, and the first one I got two specks and the second I got three. Since there's about 160 pans per cubic yard (more or less, I have a spreadsheet somewhere with the exact numbers), that's about 40 to 120 grains of gold per cubic yard. And with it about 480 grains per ounce, I don't think it's the greatesdt of gravel to work.

Hioneslty guys, those numbers are pure speculation. I have a book somewhere that has the formula for this, but in the end we all know I could have hit either a "dead" spot or a hot spot.

But the speculation sure is fun!
Carl (now re-infected! wub.gif )

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
russau
post Jun 6 2004, 07:11 PM
Post #2

russau

Member No.: 43

carl, education is the best gift anyone can give a person! now, nobody can take it away from you!

+Quote Post
CP
post Jun 7 2004, 08:42 AM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Good job Carl! Russ is right, education is a wonderful gift.
Ya never know what kinda of interest you will get with the youngens. We have had some of the greatest times workin with the kids at Vic's. They will pan, play in the dirt all day sometimes while mom and dad are kinda just hanging around..... ;)

Both of you will have lots of teachin' time with the youngsters and moms and dads in a couple weeks........ :D What fun this is gonna be! ;) :o laugh.gif

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 7 2004, 01:14 PM
Post #4

Master Mucker

Member No.: 98

I hope there's gonna be some of the Garrett panning kits there. I need to pick up one or twp. I like to have at least one handy. Plus I have to replace one pan. Did you know that it ain't good to put hot wood coals in a plastic pan? huh.gif :o

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
russau
post Jun 7 2004, 02:50 PM
Post #5

russau

Member No.: 43

heck carl i never really gave it much thought about that! but now that you mention it i guess it would have some funky results!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:36 PM