ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y, Saturday day, the day, oh the day
Crusty
post Jan 19 2015, 06:45 PM
Post #46

Master Mucker!

Group: Members
Member No.: 82,915

QUOTE (Coalbunny @ Jan 19 2015, 05:21 PM) *
If I manage to find myself in Colorado and with time to spare, would I be welcome tpo accompany you guys?

No shortage of folks looking for an excuse to get out & about, so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Jan 19 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #47

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

QUOTE (Coalbunny @ Jan 19 2015, 05:21 PM) *
If I manage to find myself in Colorado and with time to spare, would I be welcome tpo accompany you guys?

That would be great to have you along Coalbunny! I will likely do a scout trip first to look for parking, camp spots, water sources and claim markers. Of course I will be looking for mineral clues on the surface. If I organize a field trip I will post at least a week ahead of time, with follow up land research info. so folks can double check land status themselves before they go. happy112.gif This spot is low elevation and should be good to go in spring. If the mild weather keeps up maybe sooner. I'll keep ya'll posted.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Jan 19 2015, 07:35 PM
Post #48

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 116,305

Seriously! I've been bitten by the bug so bad that I've begun playing archaeologist in my back yard! I have three random concrete slabs along my fence lines. I'm tearing the Sh*$ out of my yard. Lol! My landlord, (whose office overlooks my yard) is probably wondering WTF!?
Why didn't I ask to join up you possibly wonder? Because the Dodge may be on her last leg. Odd grinding while coasting. Methinks it's the driveshaft that goes from the front transfer case into the tranny.

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 20 2015, 10:08 PM
Post #49

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (RhodoRose @ Jan 16 2015, 11:41 AM) *
Hey NRH,

I spent two days this past fall looking for both the calcite veins reported in canyons south of 50, and the agates at the historic, famed "Curio Hill". Both areas appear to be heavily fenced, private property. This is what I found:

"Curio Hill", a historic source of agate for the local tourism industry: depending on which document you're looking at, the location is 5-8 miles south of Canon City along Hwy 143 (Oak Creek Grade Rd). According to some sources, such as Stephen Voynick's "Colorado Rockhounding", you look for a low hogback between a small ranch and a cattle crossing. Perhaps that used to be the case, but today there are numerous small ranches, and there is no cattle crossing. The best I could figure is that the ridge is on the west side of the road, just after you pass through Stultz Gulch. But, as I said, the entire area is private property and fenced off. When I got back from my last trip, I did yet another intensive internet search, just to see if I could find some tiny fragment of information I might have missed. What I found was this YouTube video which, coincidentally, someone had posted only days prior. Their conclusion was identical to mine - the old Curio Hill is currently off limits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfWlhaeQ9zY This video is exactly what you will see driving on 143.

Good Luck! cheers.gif

RhodoRose

Should have listened to you; we drove up there, navigated by someone who swore it wasn't private property and the video had the location wrong. You were right and it is fence and posted regularly. confused0082[1].gif

We came up with a plan B to head up county road 9 to Felch Creek, but didn't find that location, so we mess around on the land by whatever the fossil area is there. Not sure what Colin or anyone else got; all I found was some small agate and jasper bits.

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
NewRockHounder
post Jan 20 2015, 11:19 PM
Post #50

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 117,890

I decided to delete my post completely, sorry for the swearing.

--------------------
- You Rock! (Literally)

+Quote Post
NewRockHounder
post Jan 21 2015, 01:05 AM
Post #51

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 117,890

Want to add - I'll be happy to help anyone that knows what they're doing - Free help = Free knowledge. Win/Win. happy088.gif ((Long as I can get a ride.... smiley-laughing021.gif ))

--------------------
- You Rock! (Literally)

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jan 21 2015, 02:28 AM
Post #52

Master Mucker

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (NewRockHounder @ Jan 20 2015, 10:19 PM) *
-snip-expletive removed-snip THAT! (pardon my english)
Colin

Colin, in all honesty sir, the language we have out in the field is certainly not suitable "in house" as munchkins/ankle-biters/curtain climbers/children and 'dem wimin-folk come here.

Granted, I am not administrative. However I am still a member and I feel that if you can type "pardon my english" then you can type a better way to express yourself.

Out in the field say what you wish. In house, you can be a gentleman.

IMO.

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Jan 21 2015, 02:43 AM
Post #53

Master Mucker!

As someone who lets colorful language fly every once in awhile I can definitely try harder to keep my words and phrases at a PG level. I shall include innuendoes in my vow. I believe the integrity of this beloved club is worth the effort. My 2c.gif anyways.

Edit; addition
If I do say anything offensive or upsetting please be honest with me so I can either apologize, edit or delete (or all of the above). I request that you aren't mean about it. I don't want any under lying resentment. Much obliged :)

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 21 2015, 06:52 AM
Post #54

Master Mucker!

Gemhuntinmama knows her stuff when it comes to research. We both checked with the county and LR to ensure there were no claims in that area, but Craig assured us this was on the National Forest land, so we decided to give it a go.

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Jan 21 2015, 07:34 AM
Post #55

Master Mucker!

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong but I want to air a phrase of caution. Don't bite the hand that feeds. At least she/they made an actual effort. Your job is to verify information The correct way to research is in the forums. Don't rely on anyone but yourself.

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jan 21 2015, 09:40 AM
Post #56

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Jan 21 2015, 06:34 AM) *
Your job is to verify information The correct way to research is in the forums. Don't rely on anyone but yourself.

happy112.gif
Step by step instructions even!

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 21 2015, 10:26 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 6,983

QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Jan 21 2015, 06:34 AM) *
Your job is to verify information The correct way to research is in the forums. Don't rely on anyone but yourself.

BINGO!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jan 21 2015, 10:39 AM
Post #58

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (MikeS @ Jan 19 2015, 06:02 PM) *
I will likely do a scout trip first to look for parking, camp spots, water sources and claim markers. Of course I will be looking for mineral clues on the surface. If I organize a field trip I will post at least a week ahead of time, with follow up land research info. so folks can double check land status themselves before they go. happy112.gif This spot is low elevation and should be good to go in spring. If the mild weather keeps up maybe sooner. I'll keep ya'll posted.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Now this man knows his stuff, no question in my eyes! Can see it even in the way he posts not to mention his successful adventures. You are awesome Mike, keep up the good work. smiley-clapping.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
CP
post Jan 21 2015, 04:11 PM
Post #59

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (MikeS @ Jan 19 2015, 06:02 PM) *
That would be great to have you along Coalbunny! I will likely do a scout trip first to look for parking, camp spots, water sources and claim markers. Of course I will be looking for mineral clues on the surface. If I organize a field trip I will post at least a week ahead of time, with follow up land research info. so folks can double check land status themselves before they go. happy112.gif This spot is low elevation and should be good to go in spring. If the mild weather keeps up maybe sooner. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Very nice of you Mike and thanks to all of you who posted such awesome input in this thread.....it's really a good demo of how to do it right instead of wrong in the field! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
With that frame of mind you are totally on track..... you've got to be able to rely on your own research abilities research.gif info_grin.gif dancing_smiley.gif , then the treasures await you! signs026.gif

Colin, I don't know why you deleted the entire post, I actually really liked what you said about your not appreciating being taught the wrong way because you're wanting to learn the proper way......not the words you'd used but something like that.
I think that can be one of the most disappointing things to put off a new prospectors interests, no one want's to think they've learned how to do it right only to find out completely the opposite once their boots hit the ground in the field.....that sucks!! More folks need to say what you said and then others who've also had the same disappointing experience might find their way to a better resource of info.....like the CP website. signs021.gif

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 21 2015, 05:01 PM
Post #60

Master Mucker!

It was definitely a learning experience. Not knowing exactly where "Curio Hill" was made it a little tougher, so I just researched the general area within the Forest Service land along the road, to ensure there was nothing claimed in that area. Downside was following someone else's guidance, when they "just know where it is, but not where it is on the map." He assured us it was on public land, so knowing nothing was claimed in that area, we decided to give it a shot. Once we got there and there was no doubt it was private (AND posted), it was a no brainer to move on to another spot.

Was a great view from up top of that hill though!

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:23 PM