ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Looking for place to pan.
Jimbo
post Mar 18 2012, 10:37 AM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,152

Hey all, a flatlander here. Me and a couple of buddies are planning a weekend excursion up to Colo to do some gold panning. We're what you call "Tourons" tourists/morons. Not out to make it rich, just have some fun, freeze our asses off and pan for gold. What steps do you have to go through besides the ones I'm attempting now? None of us have a clue where to go, And our experience in gold panning......Well, we're out for some fun and that's it. We all are avid outdoorsmen/campers/ black powder renesvous/etc. and that part isn't a problem, but we don't know anyone there, any roads, streams, etc. Any and all advice (except to stay home) is welcome.

Jim

--------------------
My anger management classes are pissing me off!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
russau
post Mar 18 2012, 10:48 AM
Post #2

russau

Member No.: 43

scan this site and forums for the laws out in Colorado so you know what your doing and dont treaspass on a claime. it is a felony todo so ,so itll pay to know where,what your doing. this is a really good site to find out the laws in Colorado!the next thread down is a prime example of where togo without getting into hot water!

+Quote Post
swizz
post Mar 18 2012, 11:11 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,983

Hi Jimbo, and welcome to CP.

You could go to Vic's up the canyon. Jesse who runs it is very helpful! Link to Vic's thread: Vic's

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Kevin In Centenn...
post Mar 18 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #4

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 21,601

If you are newbies, start at Vic's, Jesse, the owner will let you use equipment, teach you how and put you 'on the gold'. Vic's is now open 7 days a week from 8AM to 6 PM or later.
This is a great place to meet great people and learn a few tips too. http://www.coloradoprospector.com/Vic'...nning/vics.html

--------------------
www.findingGOLDinColorado.com - my website with info on where to dig and where to see Colorado's gold mining history.

+Quote Post
Kevin In Centenn...
post Mar 19 2012, 10:47 PM
Post #5

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 21,601

...and definitely DO come, don't be sittin' 'round at home wishing!

--------------------
www.findingGOLDinColorado.com - my website with info on where to dig and where to see Colorado's gold mining history.

+Quote Post
russau
post Mar 20 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #6

russau

Member No.: 43

after all, what good is a dream,if you cant follow it!

+Quote Post
Denise
post Mar 21 2012, 04:23 PM
Post #7

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Jimbo @ Mar 18 2012, 10:37 AM) *
Hey all, a flatlander here. Me and a couple of buddies are planning a weekend excursion up to Colo to do some gold panning. We're what you call "Tourons" tourists/morons. Not out to make it rich, just have some fun, freeze our asses off and pan for gold. What steps do you have to go through besides the ones I'm attempting now? None of us have a clue where to go, And our experience in gold panning......Well, we're out for some fun and that's it. We all are avid outdoorsmen/campers/ black powder renesvous/etc. and that part isn't a problem, but we don't know anyone there, any roads, streams, etc. Any and all advice (except to stay home) is welcome.

Jim

This information may come in handy for you if you haven't seen it already.
Plans and Tips page

If you scroll down a bit on that page to the "Tips and Techniques", you will see tips on seasoning your new gold pan, and panning tips. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Great information to have if your new to panning.

Denise

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Jimbo
post Mar 21 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #8

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Mar 21 2012, 04:23 PM) *
This information may come in handy for you if you haven't seen it already.
Plans and Tips page

If you scroll down a bit on that page to the "Tips and Techniques", you will see tips on seasoning your new gold pan, and panning tips. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Great information to have if your new to panning.

Denise

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into that. Probably gonna get a metal detector too. This is definitely gonna cost more than I'll make looking for gold but sure sounds like a hoot!

Jim

--------------------

+Quote Post
swizz
post Mar 21 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 6,983

Be careful, I came to Colorado 30yrs ago when I was 20... and never left!
Many adventures here, it just never ends if you're an outdoor junkie. wacko.gif
Hope you guys find a big nuggie!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Jimbo
post Mar 22 2012, 11:11 AM
Post #10

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 21 2012, 06:59 PM) *
Be careful, I came to Colorado 30yrs ago when I was 20... and never left!
Many adventures here, it just never ends if you're an outdoor junkie. wacko.gif
Hope you guys find a big nuggie!

I got a friend who's part owner in a mine. We're gonna check out the status on that. I believe it's a closed down mine. Probably nothing to that lead however. It's somewhere in Colo. I've been writing stuff down we may need. Got a back pack, not quite the same as the one I carried in the Marines but ought to work. I figured for bear repelent I'll just duct tape some bacon to Mike's pack. Ought to keep me safe. I think he's a good runner......hope the snow's gone by the time we hit there.

Jim

--------------------

+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 22 2012, 12:24 PM
Post #11

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 15,615

Hey Jimbo,

Once you get your dates set in place, post them up. It might be easier for someone to invite you along for an outing once they know what dates they are looing at. I think you have a good assesment of how your trip will most likely go. "Probably not going to make enough to pay off the house, but if you are lucky you might make a nice investment on your soul". Keep in mind the earlier you come the more chances are you will have to contend with a wide range of weather.

You mentioned you are a beginer, and as such I think Vicks would be a great place to start. But by all means don't forget to visit the high country. The things I've seen while staring out accross my pan sometimes rival that what I have found inside it. Good luck, Woody.

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)

+Quote Post
Denise
post Mar 22 2012, 03:25 PM
Post #12

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I figured for bear repelent I'll just duct tape some bacon to Mike's pack. Ought to keep me safe. I think he's a good runner......

smiley-laughing021.gif Too funny!

Thank you for your service in the Marines Jim! happy088.gif
The altitude in Colorado is another thing to keep in mind when visiting here. It's enough to make a person sick if they are not prepared or use to it. wacko.gif

Here is a link to a fun little thread I started, but it has some really good information in it about altitude sickness and how to prevent it. research.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

"Got Oxygen?"

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Jimbo
post Mar 22 2012, 04:15 PM
Post #13

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Mar 22 2012, 04:25 PM) *
smiley-laughing021.gif Too funny!

Thank you for your service in the Marines Jim! happy088.gif
The altitude in Colorado is another thing to keep in mind when visiting here. It's enough to make a person sick if they are not prepared or use to it. wacko.gif

Here is a link to a fun little thread I started, but it has some really good information in it about altitude sickness and how to prevent it. research.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

"Got Oxygen?"

Thanks! I know you're not supposed to drink as much alcohol as you do on the plains but that's about all of my knowlege. The highest I've ever hiked (humped) is Mount Fuji in Japan. We did that with the full battle pack and I had no problem with that. But that isn't as high as the Rockies either. AND I was 20 years old then too. I can still fit in my Dress Blues.......I'll check out your altitude sickness post. Thanks,

Jim

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jimbo
post Mar 22 2012, 04:19 PM
Post #14

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Woody @ Mar 22 2012, 01:24 PM) *
Hey Jimbo,

Once you get your dates set in place, post them up. It might be easier for someone to invite you along for an outing once they know what dates they are looing at. I think you have a good assesment of how your trip will most likely go. "Probably not going to make enough to pay off the house, but if you are lucky you might make a nice investment on your soul". Keep in mind the earlier you come the more chances are you will have to contend with a wide range of weather.

You mentioned you are a beginer, and as such I think Vicks would be a great place to start. But by all means don't forget to visit the high country. The things I've seen while staring out accross my pan sometimes rival that what I have found inside it. Good luck, Woody.

We will leave May 31st on a Thursday morning about 0500. Should hit Clear Creek county about 0800 or so. Any and all that want to meet up, I'm sure as hell open for a rendesvous. I'll post the dates in another thread too. Thanks.

Jim

--------------------

+Quote Post
leonard
post Mar 23 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #15

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (Jimbo @ Mar 22 2012, 04:19 PM) *
We will leave May 31st on a Thursday morning about 0500. Should hit Clear Creek county about 0800 or so. Any and all that want to meet up, I'm sure as hell open for a rendesvous. I'll post the dates in another thread too. Thanks.

Jim

I'd be up for a day at Vic's.

Leonard

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:35 AM