ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
My last outing, A Weekly posting
Woody
post Nov 6 2011, 09:46 PM
Post #131

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,615

So what do you do with the rabbit pelts Woody Fudd/?

For the most part, shooting them with a shot gun is not the best option if you are going to skin them out. Occasionally I will get one that is just head-shot and take the time to dry the hide. As anyone can tell you that has ever tried to tan a bunny hide, it is very thin and tears easily. So I dont even try it unless I have a good hide to start with.
However, I did reciently read that artical on how to make a Bunny Blanket in the survial section of this forum. I don't think I will ever get 50 pelts But I might find something in that section that catches my eye. Woody.

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Woody
post Nov 6 2011, 09:50 PM
Post #132

Rock Bar!

This weekend I tried to get up to my spot for digging Amazonite.

I found that is was covered in snow and tried looking in a different area instead. All the slopes that faced towards the Northwest had a fair amount of snow on them. I saw one that faced more southern and was able to hike over to it. I had been walking for over an hour, scratching here and there with no results, and was starting to not expect much from this trip. Then I found an area that had small, chunky pieces of Microline mixed in with the scree. I started scratching around in this area and soon found some crystals. They were in a spot that was very easy to get and looked great in hand. I could tell that I was digging on the edge of a granite outcropping and the dirt at the edge was where the crystals were. I took home somewhere around 100 pieces. Most are not much to look at but I always take enough to study later on at the house. When they come out of the ground they are covered in mud and kind of hard to tell if there is any other mineral associated with them. So when I am in a new spot I take enough study later on until I am certain exactly what I am looking for in that spot.

As they were coming out of the ground I was hoping they were of the smoky variety but as I cleaned them up the crystals didn’t look as well as I was hoping. There was smoky quartz in the crystals but they had a lot of secondary growth on them and were not very see-through. I even went to Home Depot to buy some Super Iron Out but they did not have any. I will keep checking other hardware stores in my area until I find some. Once I do, I will post up some pics of the finished product. If they turn out well that is. Have a good one, Woody.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Nov 6 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #133

Rock Bar!

Here is what they look like after I clean them with a brush and water. I will get some Supper Iron Out and see if it gets rid of the rust.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Nov 7 2011, 08:15 AM
Post #134

Member No.: 6,983

Another great looking cache there Woody. happy088.gif
Try giving them a 24hr soak in vinegar while you're trying to locate the Super Iron Out.
I had my local mom & pop Ace Hardware order it for me and they had it the next day, not expensive.
Git you one of them textile guns this winter too, highly recommended as you know!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Woody
post Nov 14 2011, 01:06 AM
Post #135

Rock Bar!

Went out on Saturday and worked my way back to the same hillside I had been digging for crystals previously. The weather was nice to start with but soon became extremely windy. It was windy enough that I could not focus on the hole I was digging. I could hear trees falling in the distance from time to time and I always kept one eye on the trees that were surrounding me. Even my dog was uncomfortable just sitting there. “It was so windy that the paint job on my truck was damaged on two sides when I got back”.

I verified that there was still interesting material left in this hole and devised a plan. I wanted to waste some time by hiking from my current location to a spot I had stashed some slabs of Amazonite before. I was hoping the wind would die down by the time I got there.

The wind never quit and I never made it to my intended spot. Along my route I kept poking here and there and before long I found another location that held crystals. I worked in this new spot until the sun went down and had to return home. This new spot seemed to produce crystals that were a little clearer and I must return soon.

If anyone is interested in heading out for a little digging in the dirt please let me know. I will be glad to have the company. Have a good one, Woody.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Nov 15 2011, 07:51 PM
Post #136

Member No.: 6,983

Holy cow Woody, looks like you are into some BIGGER crystals now. Nice! Any plates or combos... or are you finding mostly stray points?
Also.... any luck cleaning the previous specimens with SIO yet?
Inquiring minds want to know. chin.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
coloradorocket
post Nov 22 2011, 08:34 PM
Post #137

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 26,480

QUOTE (Woody @ Oct 30 2011, 10:40 PM) *
Look at how well preserved some of these are. You can still clearly see the serrated edges still on the teeth in the next pic. The last pic shows mainly the teeth from a type of Crusher Shark. It has a funny name. Something like Whipple-lot-alus.

I've been interested in finding shark teeth for a long time. I'd love to learn where to find them. I've searched around the Springs and all I found were a ton of leaf fossils in shale.

+Quote Post
Denise
post Nov 27 2011, 08:51 AM
Post #138

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Some fantastic finds there as always Woody! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif You definately have an eye for the good spots!!

smileywaving.gif Hi coloradorocket and welcome to the CP forums. Make yourself at home here, we have a very friendly and helpful community here.
Leaf fossils in shale are great finds, we all would love to see some pictures if you have them. Colorado has some great fossils thats for sure!

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Nov 27 2011, 09:55 AM
Post #139

Rock Bar!

Hi Guys,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Yes Chris those crystals are starting to get some nice size to them. I have been out a couple different times since I last posted and continue to find specimens that are about as big around as an apple and fit nicely in hand. As for any combos? The best combos so far have been the occasional crystal with a little Microline attached to it. This Microline can be kind of "showy" by its self. It is commonly found throughout Colorado but in its best form it has a nice semi-crystal shape and is very blocky. It has a wide color range. I have seen it in White, Brown, Red, Pink, Marbled, and Metallic. I will try to get some pics posted so you can see.

As for the crystals, they are still only half-translucent at best. Some have maybe three good sides with a hint of Smoky Quartz throughout. I will post up my results for cleaning a little later on. I have figured out that the Amazonite is better found on one side of the hill and the crystals are on another. I need to find a happy-medium. I always have fun getting out and digging in the dirt so I will keep after them.

Hello Coloradorocket,
If you are a mind to, I can take you on an outing sometime and show you what to look for. I would be glad to have the company. Shoot me an email and we will see what we come up with.

Have a god one, Woody

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Nov 28 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #140

Rock Bar!

[ Have a god one, Woody )

I ment "good" one.

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 4 2011, 09:42 PM
Post #141

Rock Bar!

Nothing exciting happening this weekend,

With daytime highs only in the 20's and winds that just would not let up I choose to stay indoors this weekend. I should of been out hunting a rabbit or something but I whimped-out. It was the first weekend I have sat at home in a long time. I went through a lot of my rock specimens and set some aside for test cleaning. Now that I have the SIO I need to put it to good use. Hope everybody had a good, warm weekend and I will talk at you later. Woody

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
CP
post Dec 5 2011, 08:56 AM
Post #142

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Very glad to hear you decided to stay home this weekend since it was so nasty and dang cold. We also had nasty winter weather...snow and winds with wind chills below zero. An excellent weekend to stay home and work on specimens, post up some pics when those purty's get cleaned up too.

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
colo_heff
post Dec 19 2011, 07:51 AM
Post #143

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 6,948

Woody... looks like you've been finding quite a variety of of some nice looking stuff... if you ever have a hankering for some company or in need of a hunting partner I'd like to come along... Chris was kind enough to allow me to prospect once again on his claim this year so hopefully I will get a chance to meet up sometime this upcoming prospecting season if not sooner...

+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 20 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #144

Rock Bar!

I would enjoy the company Colo-Heff,

If I am still around here come spring I'll stop by and you can ride with me up to the claim areas. Also if you ever wish to meet up locally let me know, I get out pretty much every weekend. The recent snows will keep me from my usual digging spots but there are other areas I know that should be free of snow to find goodies. The last couple of weekends I have been getting out in the hills and kicking around but I did not post anything up. The areas that I really want to get at are under snow so I have revisited some of my old dig sites. The finds have not been very exciting but at least I am getting my exercise. Drop me an Email if you are ever available. Later, Woody

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 23 2011, 09:12 AM
Post #145

Rock Bar!

To alll my fellow Prospectores;

We are all brothers united by a common bond. Every man, woman and child has a place that they call home. If it is not a solid, touchable item that we can see with our eyes, then it is a cherished dream that we hold in our hearts. May all your endeavors and deeds serve you to bring good fortune and peace into your home during this Holiday Season.
From our family to yours, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Woody.

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post

31 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
28 User(s) are reading this topic (28 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:48 PM