ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Colorado Diamonds, North America's Largest
CP
post Dec 1 2007, 10:45 AM
Post #1

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Hey Everyone, thought this was an interesting tid bit worth posting........Colorado produced North Americas largest faceted diamond. Here is a bit of info from the Kelsey Lake mine.........
The Kelsey Lake mine, located almost on the Colorado-Wyoming line, includes some eight kimberlite pipes, the two largest of which have a combined area of about 20 acres (Hausel 1998). The mine was first opened by Redaurum, a Canadian company; ownership changed to McKenzie Bay International, and it is currently owned jointly by Roberts Construction and BJ&J Jewelers, two North Dakota companies. It was operated from 1996 to 1998 and produced North America's largest-known cut diamond--a pale yellow 16.86-carat faceted stone that was cut from a well-formed 28.18-carat crystal found in 1997. Another, a 28.3-carat yellow diamond mined in 1996, was cut into a 5.39-carat pear-shaped stone.

I'm still looking for some pics of the faceted stones.

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Bennie
post Dec 23 2007, 09:23 AM
Post #2

Shovel Buster!

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,517

QUOTE (Bennie @ Dec 23 2007, 08:02 AM)
those are huge Cromium-Driopsides, a lil small for garnets But those are very white diamonds todd

about the mill creek comunity isint it illigal for them to have that fence as most of that land is national lands??? ph34r.gif laugh.gif lol they wouldnt let me through last summer they said "Theres nothing back there just a few half million dollar homes" but few of people know theres stuff back there laugh.gif

State Line district. Diamonds were found in situ in the Colorado-Wyoming region in 1975 in a Wyoming kimberlite (McCallum and Mabarak 1975). Since 1975, essentially every kimberlite in this district has yielded diamond. Even so, many of the kimberlites still have not been bulk sampled and several geophysical anomalies interpreted as blind diatremes remain inexplicably unexplored and untested. Of the bulk samples taken, ore grades range from <0.5 to 135 carats/100 tonnes with 30 to 50% gemstones and more than 130,000 diamonds have been recovered. (Early Cambrian & Early Devonian )( Hausel, 1998).Kelsey Lake Diatremes are mainly 2 kimberlites (KL1 and KL2) which had been initially mapped as the Schaffer 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, and 9 by Eggler (1967) Unfortunately, the Kelsey Lake mill was poorly designed and rejected some diamonds to its tailings as well as everything over 40 carats in weight. Thus the possibility that large diamonds were lost during the operation is likely.ome of the many unexplored anomalies in the district include:

(1) A group of distinct INPUT geophysical anomalies identified within the Wyoming portion of the district that is interpreted as blind diamond pipes – these have never been drilled. Similar anomalies identified by the same INPUT survey later became part of the Kelsey Lake diamond mine. The southern portion of the district and adjacent areas has not been explored using airborne geophysics and similar blind diatremes are expected!

(2) Some additional kimberlites were recently found in the district (Pearl Creek and Sand Creek) – these remain unsampled.

(3) Some very strong indicator mineral anomalies have also been found in recent years along the eastern edge of the district that indicate the presence of undiscovered kimberlites.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:33 PM