ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Colorado Diamonds, North America's Largest
CP
post Dec 1 2007, 10:45 AM
Post #1

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Hey Everyone, thought this was an interesting tid bit worth posting........Colorado produced North Americas largest faceted diamond. Here is a bit of info from the Kelsey Lake mine.........
The Kelsey Lake mine, located almost on the Colorado-Wyoming line, includes some eight kimberlite pipes, the two largest of which have a combined area of about 20 acres (Hausel 1998). The mine was first opened by Redaurum, a Canadian company; ownership changed to McKenzie Bay International, and it is currently owned jointly by Roberts Construction and BJ&J Jewelers, two North Dakota companies. It was operated from 1996 to 1998 and produced North America's largest-known cut diamond--a pale yellow 16.86-carat faceted stone that was cut from a well-formed 28.18-carat crystal found in 1997. Another, a 28.3-carat yellow diamond mined in 1996, was cut into a 5.39-carat pear-shaped stone.

I'm still looking for some pics of the faceted stones.

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
toddarice
post Dec 18 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #2

Shovel Buster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 851

Been gone for a while. Sorry.
Julie and I know all about the state line diatremes. We have been up in that area probably 50 to 60 times, and have done good. Most of the land up there is private, the Kelsey Lake mine has been closed for a few years, and is gaurded by a herd of 'stangs. And they're mean.
Most of the diamonds in the area are small (less than 1/2 carat), but they are there. We have permission for some of it, but most, like I already mentioned, is private, or rather the roads to get there are locked and gated by the people that own land in the area. Even Chicken Park (a reallly good spot to go) was locked this year. You can file a suit, and you might win, but the land owners know that it's not worth it.
Some folks were lucky enough a few years ago to go up there a few times with Dan. But since Dan got fired and moved to Arizona, not much chance anymore. WGS just doesn't care anymore, pretty much about any rockhounding/prospecting since Dan left. But, on the bright side of things, Dan is now on the board for a major diamond company up in Canada, and has recently bought several claims in the area and up in Wyoming. Hopefully he'll taker people on expeditions again. We can only hope! Last I spoke to Vic Norris, he was also buying Vic's ruby claim in Wyoming and a couple of their diamond claims here in Colorado.
The Tonkos still own most of that whole area, but there are some places to still prospect. Also, UVing at night along Pratt, Horse, mill and willow creeks has produced some finds over the past few years, and sluicing has produced some diamonds as well as gold and accessory minerals. There is quite a bit of peridot and garnet. But the garnet and small peridot is everywhere, few cutable/mountable. We've only found trace amounts of Chrome Diopside.
I really miss the trips Dan would take us on. He could get into places us mere mortals can not. Oh, well.
Besides, breaking all the rock is really hard work. Sometimes the kimberlite is relatively soft, but most times it's hard as rock (pun intended). And sometimes (like the last trip to chicken park with the club), nobody finds anything in two days.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:35 AM