Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sunday drive....
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Photography and Observations
Coalbunny
Mt. Princeton from CR 306.
Coalbunny
Going up South Cottonwood Canyon on CR 344.
Coalbunny
Part of Emma Burr Mountain from the intersection of FS344 (was CR344) and Grassy Gulch road.
Coalbunny
Denise, if you could downsize some of these, I'd appreciate it! And too bad you and dan ain't here, you don't know whatchermissin!

This one is Grassy Gulch Road (FS349) where it meets up with FS344. Coords are 42904767N x 13-380557E. Expect errors (my GPS is old).
Coalbunny
Unnamed, from FS344 just a short bit up canyon from FS349.
Coalbunny
South end of Mineral Basin.
Coalbunny
This is why off-roaders aren't very welcome in a lot of places.
I checked the gate and from the local weather, I'd say I was within a few hours of when they nailed the gate.
Pathetic. It's a patented claim behind the gate. There was a very good chance the people could still have been at the mine.
No one left by the time I left and even as far as I was at the dead end, I would have seen them leave,
and I'd also have heard them. I heard their dogs a bit later though.
Coalbunny
At my final destination. End of the road, folks! Several shafts are present, and found several interesting mineral specimens.
Altitude is about 11,890' according to the GPS. And since it's old there's apt to be an error there as well.
Coords are 4288998N x 13-378448E.
Coalbunny
Out hiking, checking out some awesome country. Funny thing is, if I had oxygen I could go everywhere out here!
I had the energy, just not a lot of O2. The mountain in the background is Jones Mountain. Has a rich geology.

See anything familar? <grin>
Coalbunny
The last one for now- Mt. Kreutzer.

I plan on coming back, and too bad Travis ain't coming to the Gold Rush Days,
'cause I'd be more than happy to bring him up here!
I plan on doing some prospecting in the area soon.
Carl
Coalbunny
Ok, ok. So I ain't done yet! Here's a 2-D topo of the area.
Carl
Coalbunny
Same area, except a 3-D topo looking south from Jones Mountain. Boy I love these 3-D maps!
Carl
Coalbunny
I spent two hours on a 12 mile trip. return was 1 1/2 hours. I spent most of it in 1st or 2nd gear and sometimes in granny gear.
carl
russau
real nice pics of the area carl! lack of oxygen is a stumbling block! sure is nice looking though!
Denise
Great pictures Carl! That is a beautiful area isnt it? I resized your pics, but I left the maps to show better detail. When you asked if anything looked familiar, were you talking about your Bronco?... laugh.gif
Thanks for the pics and info Carl.
:D
wyodust
great pics, seems like we were along with ya, awesome places, too bad about that gate, some folks show no respect, anyways glad you had fun
Coalbunny
Well, someone is paying attention to the finer details, at least! laugh.gif Thanks, denise! ;)

Yep, really sad that people canot respect other people's property. Just makes it harder for the rest of us, is all. But I fully understand the reason why- the property owner has no idea who would do this (likely, though I havn't spoke with the claim owner), and some people have been stupid enough to gain illegal access THEN try to get legal access. Been there and put up with it before.

One thing I felt was odd is that other than a few birds, I saw NO wildlife on this trip. I have been in that general area before and usually see signs of wildlife. This time, nothing. Not even tracks.
Carl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.