Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NoMore "Made in America" Levi's goldminers' pants
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Historical Equipment and Tales
gold_tutor
Passing of an era brings "golden opportunity" to goldminers...of a different sort.

Dateline 1/9/2004; San Antonio AP Newservice

Levi Strauss closes last two U.S. plants

By T.A. BADGER

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Levi Strauss & Co., the California Gold Rush outfitter whose blue jeans are a globally recognized symbol of America, closed its last two U.S. sewing plants Thursday.

About 800 workers at the 26-year-old San Antonio plants lost their jobs in the move, which was announced last September.

The financially troubled company, based in San Francisco, has been shifting production to overseas contractors for years to offset drooping sales in the ultra-competitive apparel market. Only two decades ago, it had 63 U.S. manufacturing plants.

Levi Strauss spokesman Jeff Beckman said the 150-year-old company was making a delayed but unavoidable business decision.

‘‘We tried to do our best to maintain manufacturing in the United States, but we have to be competitive to survive as a company,’’ he said.

Sewing in San Antonio finished up around Thanksgiving and last month it ceased the laundering work done to give jeans their various finishes. Once, more than 4 million pairs of jeans were made here each year by workers earning an average of $10-$12 per hour.

This spring Levi’s will shutter its three remaining company-owned plants in Canada, completing the shift to contract production in China and other countries with far cheaper labor.

Levi Strauss, which is privately held, has weathered seven straight years of declining sales after its revenue peak of $7.1 billion in 1996.

In 2002, the company reported sales of $4.1 billion, and Beckman said the yet-to-be-released number for 2003 would be 2 percent to 3 percent below that.

The company has seen its global work force shrink from more than 37,000 in 1996 to about 12,000 as of last month, roughly half of them in the United States, said spokeswoman Kari Otto Seymore.

Now, I understand more why word was quickly passed in private goldminer email lists about 5 weeks ago that LEVI was hunting for muscular USA genuine male goldminers, and they stressed the term "not buffed" and gave an advertising agency contact name and phone number. They wanted males only, it should be stressed.

Now, I ask you threadmatey's...do you REALLY think we are going to be fooled by a slick advertising campaign with some hunk o'miners paradin' around in skin tight CHINESE Levi's WITHOUT ANY ORE IN THEIR POCKETS to keep buying LEVI'S?

Me? I think I'll hang on and repatch the one's I already have. Nothing wrong with patches...on patches...on patches, yes?

Hey, Denise...maybe we should have an "equipment contest" for the best and worst looking pair of genuine AMERICAN MADE Levi's" contest of our own.
1) Men's category-Miners with equipment in hand or in picture
2) Women's category-miners with equipment in hand or in picture
3) NO NUDES...gotta have them Levi jean's on...this IS a family forum!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'll donate a small nugget fer a prize... Whatchasay, Denise? CP? :o wub.gif :o
Redpaw
When Levi's are costing 40.00 for a pair, due to all the protests of Green Groups about Manufacturing Standards being imposed. Is it any wonder How this Company was driven out of America?

Your Contest would be awesome, but state some rules that the entries must be from
Valid Miners or:
Registered and regular participants to the forums or
Have gold prospecting equipment located well within the picture or

otherwise you may get some POSERS who will try to take advantage of a notable and worthy contest.

Just my .02

Hey Megan,
I responded to your comments and questions you asked for....did those clarify it okay?

RP of the MRT
Denise
I think that sounds great! :D
We would Definitely need to set out some rules for it though.
:) :D laugh.gif :) :D
CP
Sounds like fun........
ya already have to be a member of the forum to post here so think that one is covered. ;)

I agree with what we have so far for the rules but who is judging this..... huh.gif

I think we should also require participants be at least 18 years of age, and one entry per person.
Then we'll need a time frame...... What did ya have in mind Megan? unsure.gif
Oh! We should probably decide how or what we are judging on too.....

THANKS Megan! fer puttin up a nug....... Mighty generous of ya! B)

CP
mtpan
That sounds like a good idea when can we send pic MTPan
Denise
Hi MTPan,
Just wait till we have all the rules set up and posted, and then you can post your pics right here. :D ;) :D
Im glad your going to participate. :)
russau
best and worst? what about the scraglyest ole coot catagory?? id win that for sure! trouble is tring to get some (deleted) one to take my pic!;):)
rd round
YEA!!!!!
Levi backed the anti gun lobby, mabey they got what they deserved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.