Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's This?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Denise
This rock was just cut in half, and not polished. mellow.gif
It's way to heavy to be a Geode, but we were thinking it could be a Thunder Egg.
We were told it was petrified wood........but I don't think so.
Any suggestions?? huh.gif :)
skunks_lil_nun
copy and pasted after researching:

"A geode is a sphere shaped rock which contains a hollow cavity lined with crystals. A geode which is completely filled with small compact crystal formations such as agate, jasper or chalcedony is called a nodule. The only difference between a geode and a nodule is that a geode has a hollow cavity, and a nodule is solid."

"Thunder eggs are a kind of solid geode: a rocky shell with a filling of agate, the refined variety of the mineral chalcedony. They form in rhyolite lava beds, perhaps where the volcanic gases left bubbles frozen into the rock. Later, mineral solutions deposited the filling."

While Thunder Eggs and Geode's ae basically the same thing...it looks like the rock you have is a thunder egg because its solid in the middle. My own curiosity after viewing that photo made me look into the geode's and thunder eggs so there ya have it! Either way, I love that rock, its way pretty!!!

Take care...

Kriss wacko.gif
Denise
Thanks Kriss,
Dan's grandpa loved to prospect for all kinds of things.
He left Dan with some very interesting samples from all over the world.
Hey, thats gives me an idea! :D
I think I will add a "What is this" every month,
and see just how much everyone knows about rocks and minerals.

I home school my kids, and my son Mike loves this game, and the adults
always seem to join in. ;)
Redpaw
I know what it is.....Nan Na Nan Nan Ya ....and I'm not going to tell yet...

Here's some clues:
The Outer Shell Composition
The Crystallized Matrix of the Inner Core
Color Composition of the Mineral

I can even post a exact replica picture of your rock in various shapes and sizes...

Quiet for now...
skunks_lil_nun
:P okay dangit RP!! what is it? my curiosity is piqued! She's got me interested in these rocks and now I wanna know more! Tell me, tell me, tell me! :D

In case I don't get a chance to tell you all(weather has made our eletricity unstable here in the mountains)...

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL! May 2004 bring all the yellow stuff your pan can handle!!

Kriss!!
Redpaw
Kriss, your guess was right and you doubted yourself. Not all geodes have a cavity, as most fill completely. You know your rocks better than you thought.

It is a Frieda Deposit ThunderEgg, from the Deschutes River area in Oregon. The Dark Skin and Interior Crystal Color gives it away.

Another Give away was the way the Interior Crystals "star " or "point" to the outer shell.
Denise
Cool Redpaw, thanks!
I figured it was a ThunderEgg, but I had no idea it was from the Deschutes River area in Oregon. :o
Right in your back yard! Wow...It's a small world. ;) :D

Happy Birthday Kriss, and have a great day. :)
skunks_lil_nun
Thnk you and happy new year all!!!!

Kriss
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.