Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone venture into making knife handles yet?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
EchoBravo
Had an opportunity to buy a couple Damascus Chef knife blanks. That folded metal looks so cool, I figured I would try to make a knife handle for them out of stone. Unfortunately I do not have a saw big enough to cut some slabs of my own (someday). So I bought a real nice slab of Stone Canyon Jasper off of Etsy. Then attempted my first knife handles. Was a bit of a challenge with my machines but thought It turned out decent. Now to find the right slab for my second knife :^) (yes this was spurred on by that Forged in Fire show ha ha)

Knife came well oil & wrapped in plastic.
Click to view attachment

Stone Canyon Jasper.
Click to view attachment

Midway thru the process with temporary pins in the knife to steady the stones so I can monitor how close to the steel I was getting. A couple different angles.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Finished product with brass pins & tinted epoxy for seal/waterproofing handles to the steel (this is where I need a little more practice).
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Crusty
If you check out Swizz's knife making thread you'll see some of his amazing work.
swizz
Thanks Mike!
Stone is incredibly difficult to shape for knife scales unless you have serious lapidary equipment. It's extremely beautiful when done properly... but also impractical, unfortunately. The primary reasons being weight, balance, and stone is brittle if dropped. They make for some of the best looking show knives for sure. Check out the works of Jay Fisher Knives for some eye-popping creations, very inspirational.
Keep up the great work!!
Denise
That turned out great EchoBravo! Chris does do some amazing work!! Another one of our lifetime members was making stone knife handles also. You can see a couple of his at this link in the forums...

"Cabbed knife handle"

Keep up the good work!
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
EchoBravo
Thanks for the kind words. Yes Jay Fisher has some breath taking stuff, that guy is insanely talented. I wasn't sure how stone would behave as a handle and wondered why you don't see many (a lot of work to make). But now that I have been using my chef knife for a bit, I can absolutely say this is my go to knife. It feels good in my hands. doesn't scratch or stain and is surprisingly well balanced. Got lucky as I had no idea what I was doing. lol. I just approached it as I usually approach new challenges for the first time.. (measure 100 times & cut once & then grind it into submission) ha :^). I've got another blank that I am itching to do, & thinking I might add a mosaic pin on this one :^).

Swizz.. I liked that Air Force knife (only an Army knife would have been better smiley-laughing021.gif ) and your leather work is Awesome! Chris's tiger iron was really nice also! Smooth lines. I really enjoy all the talent on this site. Makes me feel like I am in the right place to learn a thing or twenty.
Epadilly
QUOTE (EchoBravo @ Apr 8 2018, 03:38 PM) *
Had an opportunity to buy a couple Damascus Chef knife blanks. That folded metal looks so cool, I figured I would try to make a knife handle for them out of stone. Unfortunately I do not have a saw big enough to cut some slabs of my own (someday). So I bought a real nice slab of Stone Canyon Jasper off of Etsy. Then attempted my first knife handles. Was a bit of a challenge with my machines but thought It turned out decent. Now to find the right slab for my second knife :^) (yes this was spurred on by that Forged in Fire show ha ha)

Knife came well oil & wrapped in plastic.
Click to view attachment

Stone Canyon Jasper.
Click to view attachment

Midway thru the process with temporary pins in the knife to steady the stones so I can monitor how close to the steel I was getting. A couple different angles.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Finished product with brass pins & tinted epoxy for seal/waterproofing handles to the steel (this is where I need a little more practice).
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I'm if anyone would be interested but I make blades, axe heads, spearpoint and arrowheads. If you find a piece of CCS (cryptocrystalline silicate) so jaspers, agates, flints, petrified/agatized wood,and cherts ect I will make your own Neolithic artifqct, the only thing I'd ask in return is some CCS material.

I have some nice mahoganythat I inlaywith hand beaten copper and silver bands. I secure it with brass and copper pins that I hand shaped and set.I was thinking about making somehandles from the heartwood of juniper. Its a freaking beautiful purple, I'd leave a bit of the white wood showing in random spots and seal it with some oil probably inlayit with copper and silver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.