Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help ID’ing...
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
ChuckD
I found this in the Texas Hill Country in a dry creek bed, about 4 miles south of Utopia, Tx. I included a picture of the area in which it was found in case it might lend some clues as to it’s identity. This is the only piece like this that I found. This area is mostly limestone I believe. This sample is not wet- it has a “sheen” to it when rotated. Anyhow, can anyone help? (Sorry if the pics don’t post or come out sideways... I’m still learning all this internet stuff) Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
swizz
hmmmm... my guess is Calcite or Microcline.
ChuckD
QUOTE (swizz @ Oct 23 2017, 09:31 PM) *
hmmmm... my guess is Calcite or Microcline.

Thanks, Swizz!
Denise
chin.gif Always hard to tell just from pics, but I have to agree with Swizz....looks like a cool piece of Microcline! happy112.gif
Dave S.
My guess is calcite (the main mineral in limestone)

Looks like weathered calcite crystals, or a calcite formation that replaced a fossil (like coral).

ChuckD
QUOTE (Dave S. @ Oct 26 2017, 03:31 PM) *
My guess is calcite (the main mineral in limestone)

Looks like weathered calcite crystals, or a calcite formation that replaced a fossil (like coral).

Thanks, Dave!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.