Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Gift That Keeps on Giving
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
swizz
Thank you again Dan & Denise for the rough Opals you sent me years ago. I have them situated on top of my PC tower and the sun hits them just right nearly every day in the afternoon and I am still appreciating them almost daily after all these years. You sent them to the right home. happy.gif
Pics never seem to do Opals justice. I took a pic, then rotated 180 and took another. Still much purtier in person. Thank you again D&D for these little beauties!

Rough Opals A by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Rough Opals B by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
leonard
I see the new camera's closeup function works great. I haven't tried it on mine yet.

Leonard
swizz
haha... no, those were taken with my smartphone. It does pretty well for the macro shots. Haven't tried the P900 for macro yet.
Denise
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Really glad you like them Chris! Those are Welo Opals so they really like to play in water. That's where they really like to show their colors. The cloudy white parts go crystal clear also till the Opals dry back out. happy112.gif

Great pics!
swizz
HA! I know exactly what you mean. I had them stored in a jar of alcohol for a while then noticed what you mentioned. I thought I had ruined them or something by putting them in alcohol because they changed so much. Once I restored them to dry I realized that it was probably refraction. Opals are a strange critter. I think these display better dry but I might experiment some more.
Colorado Roots
Opals are one of my favoties :)

Speaking of opal, fire opals are stunning too. They remind me of space in a way and then I remember how incredibly small we all are in the grand scheme of things. smiley-shocked003.gif smiley-shocked003.gif

very nice gems there!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.