Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trommel Alternative
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
swizz
I'm still trying to settle on a good portable wash plant for my claims. I really want the Heckler Mini Trommel but at $4200 I cannot justify it.
So..... Heckler Fab also offers a 2-stage commercial highbanker for $1869 that looks mighty tempting to me! Need to keep my budget under $2K, so this could be the one. For $89 they sell a dredge adapter that will accept 3" or 4" diameter. Other accessory options include matting configurations to specifically recover fine Gold which might be useful at places like CC. I need the coarse Gold recovery for now and it comes with Clarkson riffles (pictured).

Thoughts? Heckler 2-Stage
Crusty
Not seeing a significant advantage over your current setup. Gonna need a lot of shovels and strong backs to move 7.5 yards an hour. If you're concerned about losses in your keen, add another length with different matting (dream Matt, expanded metal/moss) that'd allow more time for the clay to break up.

I think if you stuck with a banker, spending a few bucks to "frankenbank" yours would be more cost effective than dropping $2k on this
swizz
I think it would be a big improvement from my Keene setup, even if I kept modifying it (which is a pain and sometimes not cheap). Heckler: The hopper box is much larger which gives more clay-bustin time, very aggressive spray bars, the riffle & matting configuration is far better than my existing, it has excellent flap/brush dampeners, plus a boil box where the sluices meet. Heckler Fab is known for well built mining equip and bases their matting and riffle configurations on Clarkson tests, which I strongly approve. I like it.
~7.5 "tons" per hr capability... not yds. I'm not sure which would be more, but more than I can move by myself, which is ok. If my op grows a little this will be able to handle it. If Sig brings up his mini-ex next year I could put that Heckler to work bigly. If I hire temp service help to come up and dig, I can keep them shoveling. whip.gif
The Keene with that small hopper.... not so much.
Crusty
Good points as always thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
swizz
Just got off the phone with Sig... I'll elaborate that conversation in the protected forum. wink.gif
swizz
Whether I buy this thing or not, it wouldn't be until next spring. Gives me something to dream about all winter anyway. If the economy continues on this path I could justify buying it the spring. Then either sell the Keene or keep it as a guest highbanker.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.