Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How long does it take for wood to decay in a flood layer?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
johnnybravo300
I'm always curious when I'm pulling out sticks and branches from 3 ft deep in a flood layer.
Does anyone know how long pieces of wood would last submerged in conditions like that? Would it tend to decay faster or slower? Is it an indication as to the age of the layer at all?
I've noticed its always the top flood layer I find that in.
Dave S.
Usually wood will decay slower, when covered in wet mud or clay. As long as the soil/mud is to wet for soil bacteria (compost). And low acid.

Some people go out and find 100 year old trees in the rivers used by old logging operations. The wood is sold for a high prices, and makes good quality wood products.

Some wood support poles that were used for mining copper near Michigan, have been dated to 2,000 B.C. or older.

Hope that helps put it into perspective!
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
johnnybravo300
Yeah that makes sense and the​ same for old sunken ships I guess. I hadn't thought about that.
So as far as i know those sticks could have been buried that deep during the last ice age very possibly, and are just being preserved in the right environment.

That's crazy to think about... chin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.