Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rocks in Pueblo
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
Jess
Hi, my Mom recently moved to Pueblo after being on the East coast her whole life, and she found some cool looking rocks in her yard. I'm hoping someone might have an idea of what they are so I can tell her?
Thanks for any help!

MikeS
Welcome to the forums Jess! sign0016.gif

The pink one at the top looks like rose quartz. The round one next to it is hard to tell but if it is as green as the picture shows then it likely has epidote in it (green parts).

All the other pieces shown that are glassy looking and layered look like "slag" from steel smelting. Pueblo was built on steel production. You are likely to find these around town.

Hope this helps.
Jess
That's very interesting, thank you! I thought some of it looked like slag glass but I didn't know the town's history, and I wasn't sure having not seen it in person. I will pass along this info :)

QUOTE (MikeS @ Mar 9 2017, 09:04 PM) *
Welcome to the forums Jess! sign0016.gif

The pink one at the top looks like rose quartz. The round one next to it is hard to tell but if it is as green as the picture shows then it likely has epidote in it (green parts).

All the other pieces shown that are glassy looking and layered look like "slag" from steel smelting. Pueblo was built on steel production. You are likely to find these around town.

Hope this helps.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.