Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Big Bend"
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting and Rockhounding Gatherings or Events > Prospector's Outings and Adventures
Crusty
Relicsncoins and I got out yesterday at Big Bend on the S. Platte. After a bit of poking around we found the best area was near where the construction is going on at the railroad bridge, where the water gets shallow and the rocks seem to scrub off the gold. Easy digging and the best consentrations of gold seem to be in the top 6". With the shallow water, it was a challenge to find a spot to set up my Bazooka so I eventually switched to my trusty Angus.

Enjoyed the 50° Jan day, but we stayed and ran one more bucket after the sunset and it cooled off quick!

I made a SMALL dent in the large amount of glass and pottery in the creek.

Crusty
PArking is just above the pin, in the Steele Street Open Space lot.

I tried to get to the bar across the river, but just had my hip waders on and the channel was a bit to deep to cross. So we worked at the top of the bar around the bend. Confirmed the talk of how drastically the water level rises in the late morning; had my gear bag in the middle of a dry section of bar surrounded by water. A couple hours later I noted it was wet!
Crusty
Great writeup on the area from Kevin in Centennial

https://findinggoldincolorado.com/hints-for...ng-at-big-bend/
DiggingDad32
Where do you think I'd have a better opportunity for the yeller stuff, Big Bend or A-Bar?
relicsncoins
QUOTE (DiggingDad32 @ Jan 26 2017, 02:37 PM) *
Where do you think I'd have a better opportunity for the yeller stuff, Big Bend or A-Bar?

Based on my experience at both places, both have gold and both have pockets that are better.
Crusty
Haven't processed my cons yet, but I agree they both have yeller to be had. for you, I'd say A-Bar, since youre right there! :)
johnnybravo300
Haha now hes really confused!
DiggingDad32
Haha. Thanks guys. Its a 5 minute difference from my house to either spot. If it's a lunch break trip, A Bar is the only option, seeing that it's 4 minutes from my work. Wouldn't mind a less stanky spot to prospect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.