Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st of many
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
James and Cyndi
Just started my first cab. Got through pre polish and noticed a ton of tiny flat spots couple small pits and a few scratches I missed. But not too terrible for my 1st atempt. Freeform and freehand, havent aquired a dop pot or templates yet. The agate is from the Yampa valley area. I found it while elk hunting in november. Usually not able to see the ground but this year was t shirt weather and the elk weren't migrating yet. Still made it a successful trip though.
Click to view attachment
Crusty
looking good! Can't wait to see more of your creations!
James and Cyndi
Oops

Didn't mean to put this in the equipment section.
swizz
Awesome James!!
If you want me to move this thread for you just tell me where and I'll do it. happy088.gif
James and Cyndi
QUOTE (swizz @ Jan 12 2017, 06:00 PM) *
Awesome James!!
If you want me to move this thread for you just tell me where and I'll do it. happy088.gif

Probably would fit better in the finds or processes section
Thanks swizz
Dave S.
When I cab, I don't have a dop wax "setup". I just take a dowel stick, melt dop wax on the end with a lighter, then use the lighter flame to melt the wax to the stone. I have a good amount of dop wax if you want any James. The wax heating dish is not very necessary unless you are making several at the same time. (in my opinion) happy.gif
James and Cyndi
Might take you up on that. My thumb nails won't last too much longer freehanding. Got a bit of cold right now so I'll try and get with ya in a few days when I'm not a virus vector.
Denise
It turned out great!! smiley-clapping.gif If one has the dopping sticks, you could also use superglue to hold the stone, then remove it by soaking it on the stick in acetone. Just falls off the stick in a short time. Just make sure acetone will be ok on the stone your using first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.