Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is this?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
springsrckhnd
I got this rock and have been trying to figure out what it is, was told it has sat around a long time, it has been sawed on at one time.
GeoMatt
malachite
HighGrade
To me, looking at your second picture from the top, (rough uncut outside). It looks like a type of sedimentary breccia with slightly banded cauliform quartz as the matrix. I do see some light blue and green hues of color possibly indicating copper, which would be malachite and azurite most likely. It does not appear to one mineral but def a rock :). Interesting specimen. A picture of the stone wet and in the sunlight would help bring out the true colors and textures. You could try using your pocket knife to scratch the matrix (the material between rock fragments), if your knife does not scratch it and the rock actually scratches your knife, or leaves a silver/steel streak on the stone, that would tell you its mostly quartz.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.