Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New To Colorado
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Pdrmastertech
Hello my wife and I just moved to beautiful Colorado and always talked about getting here and prospecting as a hobby...... Well.....last weekend we decided to head out and give it a go.
We decided on the Bear Creek, Cheyenne Canyon/ Mountain and Lake George areas.
No luck on Cheyenne MT.... No luck in Bear Creek..... But when we went to Lake George we found some interesting specimens. We're noobs and just starting out so bear with us if say something silly lol.
We were looking for Amozonite and pretty sure we found some.... I'll post some pics here.
While searching we came across a smoky quartz crystal just lying on the ground next to some previous digs.... Will post a pic of that as well.
What has us confused is this little piece that looks as if it's sandstone with clear dark blue spots throughout....when wet the entire piece turns blue!
Will post a pic of that as well.....my gut tells me that maybe it's man-made but I'm not sure..... ANY help would be great.... Thank You in Advance.
The wife and I are excited to be here and be a part of this.... One of our dreams :)
MikeS
Welcome to the forums Pdrmastertech! Welcome to Colorado too! sign0016.gif

That is a nice looking smokey. That amazonite is showing some good color too. I am not sure about the last 3 pics you posted but they sure look interesting. There is tons of great information here to dig into. Feel free to look around and ask questions.

Have a look at a Club Membership as well. Club Members like to meet up in the field and on other members claims. We met up last weekend at my claim and we are going again this coming weekend. happy112.gif
Pdrmastertech
QUOTE (MikeS @ Oct 17 2016, 10:27 PM) *
Welcome to the forums Pdrmastertech! Welcome to Colorado too! sign0016.gif

That is a nice looking smokey. That amazonite is showing some good color too. I am not sure about the last 3 pics you posted but they sure look interesting. There is tons of great information here to dig into. Feel free to look around and ask questions.

Have a look at a Club Membership as well. Club Members like to meet up in the field and on other members claims. We met up last weekend at my claim and we are going again this coming weekend. happy112.gif

Thank You for replying so quickly..... We'd love to become members :)
Well that works out well as we are planning on going again this weekend.... We're green so be gentle lol!!
We've been talking about this for years and a great business venture presented itself so here we are.
Ready to learn and find some nice specimens.

I've looked for as much information I could find and the little black crystalline piece looks like labradorite in the way it flashes blue and green.... Maybe Wolframite?
Some other pieces are columbite I believe (no photos uploaded)
The two of us are addicted hahaha
Maybe this time the wind won't blow me off the side of Cheyenne Canyon.... First time up there and it drew blood :)

Thanks Again

J&D
Crusty
Welcome!

Cool finds. I've had great luck on Bear Creek up trail 666.

One of the foundations of our club is educating folks on knowing their rights as prospectors/miners, as well as ensuring they know how to do the research to know the status of the land their prospecting on. Lake George is pretty heavily claimed, so be sure you're on open land!
EMac
Welcome to the club! I'm not sure what the rock is, but it looks volcanic to me. I imagine you could figure it out with some tests like specific gravity, hardness, streak, etc.

I look forward to seeing y'all at one of our outings!

Crusty - the trail of the beast?!
Pdrmastertech
QUOTE (EMac @ Oct 18 2016, 12:59 PM) *
Welcome to the club! I'm not sure what the rock is, but it looks volcanic to me. I imagine you could figure it out with some tests like specific gravity, hardness, streak, etc.

I look forward to seeing y'all at one of our outings!

Crusty - the trail of the beast?!

Thanks for the info EMac.... Man.... Where can I get those tests done? We're new to this and do not have a clue where to start lol
Pdrmastertech
QUOTE (Pdrmastertech @ Oct 18 2016, 02:32 PM) *
Thanks for the info EMac.... Man.... Where can I get those tests done? We're new to this and do not have a clue where to start lol

I guess we need those BLM maps then Crusty? I'm pretty sure it was public land.... We were at a park... Well up in the hills above it anyhow. I'd hate to think that we were on someone's claim and didn't know it :(
CP
Hi J&D,

Welcome and that's awesome, we'd all be very happy to have your future club participation as well! You can also view a listing of club membership benefits on this page Colorado Prospector club membership benefits Club members get all kinds of cool benefits when joining and become part of a wonderful group/community of prospectors from all over the country! CP_Member.gif

Let us know if you have any questions about signing up or about the current membership incentive specials too. We have a super group of club members (thanks everyone for your replies also! happy088.gif ) who are always willing to meet up with others in the field for prospecting tips and fun adventures.

Good answers so far on id's of pieces shown too, I don't know what the last ones would be either but as suggested a few id tests may help narrow down the possibilities. We also have a good thread on some basic id test in this thread of the forum..... Mineral id thread

Make yourselves right at home browsing around the website and congratulations on living out one of your dreams.....VERY COOL AND FUN! signs021.gif

EMac
You can search these forums, here's one on how to do specific gravity: Mineral Id'ing

Google is another good resource (or your favorite search engine), and it returns a bunch of results. Here's one: GeoMan's Mineral ID

Edit: fixed grammar
Pdrmastertech
OK.... We're paid members as of now :)
Can't wait to meet you guys in the future and hunt some minerals.

Buying a display case for our specimens this Saturday
Crusty
QUOTE (Pdrmastertech @ Oct 18 2016, 01:37 PM) *
I guess we need those BLM maps then Crusty? I'm pretty sure it was public land.... We were at a park... Well up in the hills above it anyhow. I'd hate to think that we were on someone's claim and didn't know it :(

BLM map just gives you the overall land status. From there you need to do the research to ensure the land isn't claimed. Here's a good place to start figuring it out! Feel free to ask questions!

How to Avoid Claim Jumping
swizz
Welcome! sign0016.gif
Cool finds and great pics! Definitely study up on land status research when you have some time. All of the answers are here and we are always glad to help if you can't find what you're looking for. signs021.gif
MikeS
QUOTE (Pdrmastertech @ Oct 18 2016, 08:39 PM) *
OK.... We're paid members as of now :)
Can't wait to meet you guys in the future and hunt some minerals.

Buying a display case for our specimens this Saturday

Welcome to the club J&D!

Be sure to make your way to the protected forums when you get your club info. If your display case is looking a bit empty you can come up to the my claim on Sunday and try for more specimens to fill it up with. Details in the protected forums. smiley-cool14.gif
ASTROBLEME
Please see my answer in the posting here...

Space and Astronomy

ASTROBLEME
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.