Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prospector New To Colorado Seeking Help
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Bryan K
I'm originally from Big Sky Country up in Montana. Have been prospecting for the better part of 15 years now. I just moved to Colorado Springs several months ago. Did some prospecting around St. Peter's dome. Heavy iron's and trace gold in the quartz around the area. It's the only lode deposit in the area. I wanted to find a running water source below St. Peter's dome to search for placer deposits. No such luck everything was dry. Might try in the spring when there is runoff. We ended up in clear creek yesterday and was able to get on the gold. I worked around a big rock and found some nice black pudding stuck to the underside of the rock. " thats what we call it back home" your fine black iron.....We did fairly well though cant justify the cost of the trip to what we found. I would post pics but I'm sure everyone on here is getting mostly really fine gold out of the creek as it is eroded out of the ore deposits. We also toured the phoenix mine as my friend has never been in one, but mostly because I wanted to see what was making its way into the stream. I just paid my membership fee and am waiting for it to be activated. I'm looking for some areas that produce better gold. Was hoping someone would be willing to point me on the right track. I have a couple areas I will research and prospect. There a ways away from springs so I'll have to set up a three day trip or so. But I am willing to trade information for information to those that are willing to help someone new to the area. I'm an avid prospector, I will be attending the Colorado School of mines next year for mining engineering. I'm glad to be a part of Colorado Prospector. Lets get on the gold!

Crusty
Welcome to the Club!

We've got quite a few members out getting gold, but it's tough in Colorado, with most placer stuff being small and well scattered about. Don't think any of us are getting rich. Would take a large dredge and moving a lot of material to establish a profitable operation. We've got a great bunch of folks that realize this and get as much "value" from the friendships and shared experiences on our club get togethers as we do from the gold we find.

When the snow closes off most of the higher elevations we spend a lot of time over the winter on Clear Creek. Gotta break through the ice and the water is COLD, but we have fun and always get some color.
EMac
I'm assuming you're the Bryan I met while up there, and if so, I'm glad you found your way here! It was a pleasure meeting you and Anita. How'd you like "the zoo" (what Swizz and I have come to call that section)?

sign0016.gif

So far, I'm not sure any of the gold I've found paid for the actual cost of the trips. That includes multiple places across CO, but I'm still looking. The folks into crystals and gems can generally tell a different story though, and I'm slowly developing a taste for that style of diggin'. Clear Creek won't make you rich, but I like being out there to play in the dirt, get a lil exercise, and to enjoy the serenity. That said, I probably wouldn't keep doing it if there wasn't anything of value to recover, so I do enjoy seeing the color in my pans. Just wish there was a lot more of it.

I'm looking to head somewhere this weekend for a little prospecting. The primary location I won't post here because it's near another member's claim, but you can see where that's at in the Dave's Claim Invite thread. I'm also considering some alternate locations due to some FS activity happening now.

Bryan K
Thanks for the reply guys. And yes Eric we met on clear creek. Definitely was a pleasure. Always enjoy running into a fellow prospector. But ya clear creek is a zoo. So I'm actually sitting in front of the silver plume convenient store in Pitkin Colorado. Using their WI fi connection as am typing this. Anita and myself went to Taylor park reservoir and prospected some of the smaller tributaries that run into Taylor river. It's a long drive from the springs. Didn't get into the water until noon. Late start. Punched a few holes into bedrock " super hard stuff to dig." I did end up on some color. Coarser than clear creek. I was up till 1:00 am last night researching the history of the area. Major placer operations on primarily willow creek. But all tributaries flowing into Taylor river contain placer deposits to some degree. Most of the river bed consists of granite and quartz with trace gold. They have never discovered the source of the placer deposits in these tributaries. We will be up here for a couple more days. I have a few tricks up my sleeve to utilize to get on the gold. But so far I'm two out of three on new prospecting trips that are showing promise. I'll post results when I return. Have a good night
Crusty
Sounds like you're on to something; hope you track down some good ground!
johnnybravo300
I've been prospecting up around Taylor park some this summer when I can, mostly around the union park area. I live just south of pitkin as the crow flies. Taylor is a massive area that would take alot of time to cover but a good challenge. I may have to take a summer off one of these years haha.

MikeS
Welcome to the forums and the club Bryan! sign0016.gif

There is great info in the club members areas that should help you in your search of gold. Also keep an eye out for invites to other members claims in the club area. Bunches of good info in the public areas as well. happy112.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.