Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New member looking meet new people
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting and Rockhounding Gatherings or Events > Prospector's Outings and Adventures
RyanRoberts

Hey guys,

I'm a brand new member of CP and would love to go out with some of you seasoned hunters and find some gold and silver and some precious stones as well! I used to hunt float copper in Michigan and was quite lucky finding huge pieces of copper. Now that I'm out here I have the Gold Bug 2 and want to get out exploring and finding stuff but I don't know where to go and would love to go out some people to show me the ropes.

Any chance somebody would be open to inviting out on some quests for treasure? I live in south Lakewood and I'm up for driving just about anywhere. I've got some pans and stuff for the rivers but I don't know how to use that stuff yet.

Not sure how this works, like if you can message me privately or not, but my email is ryanroberts@gmail.com

Thanks,
Ryan

signs026.gif
Crusty
Welcome to the club! WIth winter rolling around the snow will push us to lower elevations. We have a regular group that meets at Clear Creek over the winter... just be ready to break through ice and have warm waders! lol

RyanRoberts
That sounds nuts! Don't we still have a couple months though before that happens? I got the fever real baaaaad!
Crusty
QUOTE (RyanRoberts @ Sep 6 2016, 11:59 PM) *
That sounds nuts! Don't we still have a couple months though before that happens? I got the fever real baaaaad!

lol, yes, it'll be a little while before there's ice. There will be plenty of time to get out before this ;)
swizz
Welcome Ryan. sign0016.gif
Clear Creek is a good quick Gold fix. Stay tuned and join us any time. I usually post a day or so before I'm headed that way. I'm happy to help you set a sluice and get you running. The winter Clear Creek prospecting is FUN! Difficult, but fun.
There are a few of us Michiganders here also. I'm from the U.P. but have been here a long time now. Would love to see your Copper specimens! char098.gif
EMac
Ahh....the short beard days....

Arapahoe bar right by you is open for panning (also Clear Creek), but I've never been. Jess may know more, just make sure you follow Wheatridge's rules. There are other spots around the city, just make sure you're following the rules for those areas. Generally they're posted on the city websites. Like the others have said, Clear Creek Canyon is pretty steady along US6. Jeffco rules apply there.

There's a decent chance I'll be up in the Canyon Saturday testing out what I hope are improvements for my dredge. I'll email you my #.

My only caution is that Clear Creek is a great place to scratch the gold bug itch, but gold there is usually very small, particularly if you're used to seeing large pieces of copper. The biggest piece I've found there was this one in May this year. You can read through the Clear Creek thread to get a sense of what we typically find.

~Eric

RyanRoberts
QUOTE (swizz @ Sep 7 2016, 09:11 AM) *
Welcome Ryan. sign0016.gif
Clear Creek is a good quick Gold fix. Stay tuned and join us any time. I usually post a day or so before I'm headed that way. I'm happy to help you set a sluice and get you running. The winter Clear Creek prospecting is FUN! Difficult, but fun.
There are a few of us Michiganders here also. I'm from the U.P. but have been here a long time now. Would love to see your Copper specimens! char098.gif

Do I need to get my own sluicing setup beyond my gold and sifting pans? And where do I find your posts for when you're heading on a trip?
RyanRoberts
QUOTE (EMac @ Sep 7 2016, 10:46 AM) *
Ahh....the short beard days....

Arapahoe bar right by you is open for panning (also Clear Creek), but I've never been. Jess may know more, just make sure you follow Wheatridge's rules. There are other spots around the city, just make sure you're following the rules for those areas. Generally they're posted on the city websites. Like the others have said, Clear Creek Canyon is pretty steady along US6. Jeffco rules apply there.

There's a decent chance I'll be up in the Canyon Saturday testing out what I hope are improvements for my dredge. I'll email you my #.

My only caution is that Clear Creek is a great place to scratch the gold bug itch, but gold there is usually very small, particularly if you're used to seeing large pieces of copper. The biggest piece I've found there was this one in May this year. You can read through the Clear Creek thread to get a sense of what we typically find.

~Eric

Awesome, let me know what time. We've got dinner plans up in Evergreen Sat evening so I'll probably be good until 5 or so. Would love to tag along and get close to that G-O-L-D!
swizz
QUOTE (RyanRoberts @ Sep 7 2016, 10:08 AM) *
Do I need to get my own sluicing setup beyond my gold and sifting pans? And where do I find your posts for when you're heading on a trip?

A sluice would be recommended at Clear Creek. I own a highbanker but like to use an economical and very effective Angus MacKirk Mini Long Tom at Clear Creek because it's quick, easy, lightweight, and has amazing recovery for fine Gold.... it only costs $50 and will pay for itself over a short period of time... like this: Mini Long Tom
Also need a good shovel, a couple 5 gal buckets, and a large prybar is extremely helpful. To run the sluice you'll need to classify the material you dig down to -1/2" before feeding it to the sluice. I use this bucket classifier: Bucket Classifier
Good chest or hip waders are also kinda essential.

To find out when anyone here might be headed to CC -
Check the Clear Creek thread that Emac posted a link to in our public forums and if you are a CP Club Member... check the thread titled "Clear Creek Random Day Adventures" in the CP Club Member's Protected Forum.
signs026.gif
RyanRoberts
QUOTE (swizz @ Sep 7 2016, 11:34 AM) *
A sluice would be recommended at Clear Creek. I own a highbanker but like to use an economical and very effective Angus MacKirk Mini Long Tom at Clear Creek because it's quick, easy, lightweight, and has amazing recovery for fine Gold.... it only costs $50 and will pay for itself over a short period of time... like this: Mini Long Tom
Also need a good shovel, a couple 5 gal buckets, and a large prybar is extremely helpful. To run the sluice you'll need to classify the material you dig down to -1/2" before feeding it to the sluice. I use this bucket classifier: Bucket Classifier
Good chest or hip waders are also kinda essential.

To find out when anyone here might be headed to CC -
Check the Clear Creek thread that Emac posted a link to in our public forums and if you are a CP Club Member... check the thread titled "Clear Creek Random Day Adventures" in the CP Club Member's Protected Forum.
signs026.gif

Awesome, thanks for all the info! I've got a few of those things and will have to pick up a few more, lol. One thing you forgot to mention is a thermometer to make sure this fever doesn't cause hallucenations! I was out on the South Platte fishing this past weekend and saw what I think is that mica washed up in the shallow banks and it looked like gold.. I could hardly fish because I was so distracted! And yes, I am a CP member so I still need to set up an account to get on the exclusive forum.

If anybody reading this thread goes out using metal detectors, please holler at me as well. I'm hoping I'm not the only one ;) My detector wasn't cheap, lol!

smiley-shocked003.gif
EMac
Swizz nailed the essential gear list. Lots of folks like Angus Mackirk, me included. They stock a decent variety in Golden (Angus, Keene, etc.), or you can order online. You'll want a snuffer bottle to collect the gold, a vial to put it in, and a scoop smaller than your shovel to feed the sluice. If you stop in Golden, you may as well fill out Bill's liability waiver that allows you to get onto the one remaining mining claim in the Canyon. Just ask about their claim and how to get on it. Personally I've found better gold upstream.

I'm a slower starter than Swizz and Crusty unless I'm camping, and probably even then still. My guess is I'll be up there between 10 and 11, and I like to stay until the sun starts to dip below the canyon.

CP
QUOTE (RyanRoberts @ Sep 7 2016, 11:24 AM) *
Awesome, thanks for all the info! I've got a few of those things and will have to pick up a few more, lol. One thing you forgot to mention is a thermometer to make sure this fever doesn't cause hallucenations! I was out on the South Platte fishing this past weekend and saw what I think is that mica washed up in the shallow banks and it looked like gold.. I could hardly fish because I was so distracted! And yes, I am a CP member so I still need to set up an account to get on the exclusive forum. If anybody reading this thread goes out using metal detectors, please holler at me as well. I'm hoping I'm not the only one ;) My detector wasn't cheap, lol! smiley-shocked003.gif

smiley-laughing021.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Hi Ryan, glad you've found your way into the forums and you'll have a super day out with these guys when you go! Fair warning though, be ready to have a blast and go home with sore ribs from laughing! happy088.gif

For accessing the protected forum section you don't need to set up any other accounts, just use the club members monthly password from your welcome activation email when you're logged on the forums....it'll prompt you for the password when you click on that section. smiley-cool14.gif

You'll have a great time out there with these folks for sure and find some nice color too! I'd also suggest using a soap seep set up out there in the creek sluicing as well to catch all the fine gold you can. smile.gif

swizz
QUOTE (CP @ Sep 7 2016, 11:49 AM) *
I'd also suggest using a soap seep set up out there in the creek sluicing as well to catch all the fine gold you can. smile.gif

I've been adding a couple drops of Jet Dry to my 1/2" class before feeding it to the sluice. I think that it's really been doing the trick!
Jet Dry by GhostCreeklMine, on Flickr
CP
Nice Chris, good work. Yep, I'd say by the looks of your clean ups you're right! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Crusty
QUOTE (RyanRoberts @ Sep 7 2016, 11:24 AM) *
If anybody reading this thread goes out using metal detectors, please holler at me as well. I'm hoping I'm not the only one ;) My detector wasn't cheap, lol!

smiley-shocked003.gif

I've also got a GB2 (and there are a couple others in the group). Tough to find a good spot to put them to use here in CO with the small gold. There are spots with bigger gold, but of course they've usually got a LOT of hot rocks, which of course makes it tough to find the gold. You've got to be really good with your detector (which I'm not lol)
swizz
QUOTE (CP @ Sep 7 2016, 12:01 PM) *
Nice Chris, good work. Yep, I'd say by the looks of your clean ups you're right! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've been getting good quantities of -50 and -100 every trip. Those classes outweigh the larger stuff in that creek I think.... which is why I'm basically running a cleanup sluice.
Plus, I'm old now and like to take it slooow. smiley-cool14.gif
Dave S.
Hello Ryan, welcome to the club! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I still have yet to use a dredge or highbanker, on Clear Creek, or elsewhere. However, I recommend that you learn to use a gold pan first anyway ( at least a bit of practice).

I have panned Clear Creek for years with just a variety of pans, and sometimes a regular old sluice. Clear Creek is a great place to learn to pan (it's where I learned).

I staked a gold placer claim just this last weekend in Chaffee County. Keep an eye on the Protected Forums for a possible Club Invite (I will start a new post called "Dave's Claim invite" when I do).

happy112.gif
MikeS
Welcome to the club and forums Ryan! sign0016.gif

I also have a Gold Bug2 and need to find some gold or meteorites with it. giggle.gif Your right they are not cheap. So far it's my most expensive piece of equipment.
If I can get my car running then I plan to have at least one more invite up to my claim for crystals.

..and yes there is a private message feature here on the forums. You can click on my name to open my profile. From there you can add friend and/or message. happy112.gif

Be sure to find your way to the protected forums for more info on claim invites and meet-ups for Club Members.
RyanRoberts
QUOTE (EMac @ Sep 7 2016, 12:37 PM) *
Swizz nailed the essential gear list. Lots of folks like Angus Mackirk, me included. They stock a decent variety in Golden (Angus, Keene, etc.), or you can order online. You'll want a snuffer bottle to collect the gold, a vial to put it in, and a scoop smaller than your shovel to feed the sluice. If you stop in Golden, you may as well fill out Bill's liability waiver that allows you to get onto the one remaining mining claim in the Canyon. Just ask about their claim and how to get on it. Personally I've found better gold upstream.

I'm a slower starter than Swizz and Crusty unless I'm camping, and probably even then still. My guess is I'll be up there between 10 and 11, and I like to stay until the sun starts to dip below the canyon.

Yeah, I think you guys got me excited enough to almost drive up to Golden and just get me a damn sluice! And I'll shoot to be there around ten or eleven. Pretty stoked. Can't wait other how many thousand casts it's gonna take to land the golden muskie, lol.

Those little vials of gold are crazy. kick_can.gif
RyanRoberts
QUOTE (EMac @ Sep 7 2016, 12:37 PM) *

Ha, yeah I think I'm gonna go get me a Angus MacKirk Mini Long Tom? Sounds funny to say. I've got a scoop. I'll get a vial and snuffer, too. I'm so stoked! Thanks for inviting me out, and so quickly!
RyanRoberts
QUOTE (CP @ Sep 7 2016, 12:49 PM) *
smiley-laughing021.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Hi Ryan, glad you've found your way into the forums and you'll have a super day out with these guys when you go! Fair warning though, be ready to have a blast and go home with sore ribs from laughing! happy088.gif

For accessing the protected forum section you don't need to set up any other accounts, just use the club members monthly password from your welcome activation email when you're logged on the forums....it'll prompt you for the password when you click on that section. smiley-cool14.gif

You'll have a great time out there with these folks for sure and find some nice color too! I'd also suggest using a soap seep set up out there in the creek sluicing as well to catch all the fine gold you can. smile.gif

Hey thanks Dan! I'm looking forward to find that cure, lol. Thanks for the tip on the member's only forum. Sounds top secret ;) And thanks for the soap tip, that sounds also top secret ;)
RyanRoberts
QUOTE (RyanRoberts @ Sep 7 2016, 08:46 PM) *
Yeah, I think you guys got me excited enough to almost drive up to Golden and just get me a damn sluice! And I'll shoot to be there around ten or eleven. Pretty stoked. Can't wait other how many thousand casts it's gonna take to land the golden muskie, lol.

Those little vials of gold are crazy. kick_can.gif

Ha, it posted both my replies.
RyanRoberts
QUOTE (Crusty @ Sep 7 2016, 01:14 PM) *
I've also got a GB2 (and there are a couple others in the group). Tough to find a good spot to put them to use here in CO with the small gold. There are spots with bigger gold, but of course they've usually got a LOT of hot rocks, which of course makes it tough to find the gold. You've got to be really good with your detector (which I'm not lol)

Oh nice! Well let's go! Beep beep beep.. gold! I'm actually just lucky and not that skilled with the detectors. But seriously.. let's go!
RyanRoberts
QUOTE (Dave S. @ Sep 7 2016, 06:32 PM) *
Hello Ryan, welcome to the club! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I still have yet to use a dredge or highbanker, on Clear Creek, or elsewhere. However, I recommend that you learn to use a gold pan first anyway ( at least a bit of practice).

I have panned Clear Creek for years with just a variety of pans, and sometimes a regular old sluice. Clear Creek is a great place to learn to pan (it's where I learned).

I staked a gold placer claim just this last weekend in Chaffee County. Keep an eye on the Protected Forums for a possible Club Invite (I will start a new post called "Dave's Claim invite" when I do).

happy112.gif

Yeah, this whole claim thing is new to me and insane! Like fine china on a bulls balls I'll be there! Was that too much? And yeah, now everybody's got me crazy for panning and sluicing for gold so I'm in! I can't wait to learn!
RyanRoberts
QUOTE (MikeS @ Sep 7 2016, 06:56 PM) *
Welcome to the club and forums Ryan! sign0016.gif

I also have a Gold Bug2 and need to find some gold or meteorites with it. giggle.gif Your right they are not cheap. So far it's my most expensive piece of equipment.
If I can get my car running then I plan to have at least one more invite up to my claim for crystals.

..and yes there is a private message feature here on the forums. You can click on my name to open my profile. From there you can add friend and/or message. happy112.gif

Be sure to find your way to the protected forums for more info on claim invites and meet-ups for Club Members.

Crystals? Then I heard there's diamonds?! This should be illegal! Anybody know where the silver's at? Seriously, that's some elusive shit from where I'm from! extra_happy.gif
RyanRoberts
QUOTE (RyanRoberts @ Sep 7 2016, 11:08 AM) *

Are you guys just busting through the ice because you can't wait until the spring or does the water and ice have some cool effect for finding gold? Also, wanted to say right on, ya upper! I spent about 15 summers straight up in Misery Bay and Houghton. Haven't been back in a few years but my buddy from Houghton is coming to visit me out here soon.

I need to re-clean my two copper children before I post photos of them. They re-oxidized or whatever you'd call it in the past few years so they're not so purty right now ;) I've got some half-baked cleaning recipe, lol! Gotta just do it.

Well cool man, see you out there soon! cheers.gif
swizz
QUOTE (RyanRoberts @ Sep 7 2016, 09:16 PM) *
I spent about 15 summers straight up in Misery Bay and Houghton. Haven't been back in a few years but my buddy from Houghton is coming to visit me out here soon.

Small world. One of my neighbors here in Winter Park is from Houghton.
EMac
QUOTE (Dave S. @ Sep 7 2016, 06:32 PM) *
[size=3] However, I recommend that you learn to use a gold pan first anyway ( at least a bit of practice).

I'll setup some panning bins for sure. I figure I'll give Ryan a quick panning lesson showing how I learned along with the caveat that there are lots of techniques out there. I figure pass along a little panning knowledge, and then work to get him some of his own sluice cons that he can take home for practice. Learning to reliably separate out -100 gold from CC definitely helps develop panning skills, and I think it's much more fun working richer cons than unprocessed pay dirt.

Sounds like he'll be joining you on Saturday, so hopefully other folks can show their techniques as well on some easier to find gold. I still want to play with a turbo pan eventually...

swizz
Beautiful awesome super fun day with neighbor Alec, Emac & Jennifer, and very much a pleasure to meet Ryan. I know that we all got good Gold today! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Ryan, I hope you recover from the "fever", I think I still have it. wacko.gif biggrin.gif
Here are a few pics....
Prospecting 9-10 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

This is today's wing-dam that I made for the sluice.
Sluic Flare by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Some Gold showing in the upper portion of my sluice early on...
Gold in upper sluice by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Timber with her mini-me... Zoie! Can you tell which is the "puppy"? giggle.gif
Timber with her mini-me by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
CP
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Very cool!! Looks like it was an awesome day on the creek!
RyanRoberts
QUOTE (CP @ Sep 11 2016, 05:01 PM) *
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Very cool!! Looks like it was an awesome day on the creek!

Yeah, yesterday was really cool! Learned so much and got to pan, sluice, and run my shovel loads through Eric's Gold Cube! Just looking at all the rocks coming out of the river was really cool. I kept about thirty rocks that were just strange and unique on their own that I get to go through once I get a sec ;) And today (Sunday) I drove down to Dave's new claim and got to hang out with him and Mike and a little with James. Also a very awesome time! I could have talked to the twins for hours and hours on end! Can't wait to go look for crystals!! So glad I found CP, I'm beside myself and overwhelmed with how wonderful everyone has been and for the experiences right out of the gate! And to top it off I have two mystery buckets of cons to still go through to see what gold I actually found! So right on, thanks again to everybody who helped me and were so nice and welcoming. Couldn't have asked for anything better!! Keep the invites a flowin' and I'll see ya back out there soon!
fenixsmom
Hi Ryan! Sorry I'm late to the party here. Here is a link to the rules and regulations for A-bar. http://www.ci.wheatridge.co.us/1184/Gold-Panning
So, that being said, keep in mind that more people go to A-bar than CC. It's only a quarter mile stretch and you are only allowed to "fish" in the actual river bed. Battery and hand operated equipped only and no digging on the south bank. A few years ago after the flooding folks were pulling out pickers. I haven't personally had much luck there in recent years. But that could be attributed to my lack of skill. If you do go, good luck and I hope for glittering pans! The boys here will definitely steer you in the right direction and openly share their wealth of knowledge! (And there is a proverbial gold mine of it) Much love to them all! (Dan, Eric, Dave, Mikey, Mike and last but never least; Chris aka Minig)
Welcome to the CP family!
EMac
That was a great day, and it was awesome to meet you Ryan! Thinking later, we never talked about taking a sluice to Dave's; I hope they had something for you to use while there. Then again, panning practice isn't a bad thing. Personally I was glad I developed confidence at home where my mistakes weren't washed downstream. Now when I go sample somewhere, I have reasonable confidence it's not my panning if I don't see anything.

Did anyone meet the father/son team at the other gravel bar? I intended on going to say hi when they weren't carting equipment or playing in the hole, but they were gone when I looked up last. I know the boy came over and was playing with Zoe for a bit though.

On a separate note, I had another guy give me his card at the gas station after he saw my club sticker on the truck. Said he'd like to go digging sometime...the stickers work!!
RyanRoberts
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Sep 12 2016, 08:59 AM) *
Hi Ryan! Sorry I'm late to the party here. Here is a link to the rules and regulations for A-bar. http://www.ci.wheatridge.co.us/1184/Gold-Panning
So, that being said, keep in mind that more people go to A-bar than CC. It's only a quarter mile stretch and you are only allowed to "fish" in the actual river bed. Battery and hand operated equipped only and no digging on the south bank. A few years ago after the flooding folks were pulling out pickers. I haven't personally had much luck there in recent years. But that could be attributed to my lack of skill. If you do go, good luck and I hope for glittering pans! The boys here will definitely steer you in the right direction and openly share their wealth of knowledge! (And there is a proverbial gold mine of it) Much love to them all! (Dan, Eric, Dave, Mikey, Mike and last but never least; Chris aka Minig)
Welcome to the CP family!

Thanks for the warm welcome! And for the A-bar info! I know Dave's place was a real hike to get to so i hope it was worth the distance traveled! Tonight I'll be separating my cons from both CC and Dave's claim with Eric. It'll be cool to see what all I captured and the difference in the gold. I will say I definitely did a lot more labor at CC so I wouldn't surprised if I have more from there. I was a bit slow and sore by Sunday and Dave had so much information to share that we mostly just talked shop and from time to time fed the sluice they let me borrow. I'll take some pictures once it's all sorted. Cool, look forward to seeing you out there!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.