Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Identify?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
nate
An acquaintance of mine has had this piece for years and has yet to figure out what it is. Any ideas?
swizz
Very difficult to ID from those pics alone. My first inclination is Wyoming Jade, but again impossible to tell without further data.
Factors that will help you narrow it down include general location of find (investigate the geology of that area), simple specific gravity test, and MOHS hardness test.
Very cool piece! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
nate
QUOTE (swizz @ Sep 5 2016, 06:13 PM) *
Very difficult to ID from those pics alone. My first inclination is Wyoming Jade, but again impossible to tell without further data.
Factors that will help you narrow it down include general location of find (investigate the geology of that area), simple specific gravity test, and MOHS hardness test.
Very cool piece! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Here are a few more pictures. I'll ask her about location.
Woody
hey Nate,

I suggest you look at the possibility it might be Slag, "Railroad Slag". When I first look at the pictures, that's what I see. It comes in many different colors and green is a very common one.

I have several pieces laying around that look a lot like that but can't seem to find them at the moment. Here are a couple of pics from the internet. Have a good one, Woody.
johnnybravo300
That was my guess too! Haha
swizz
It could very well be slag, especially if RR tracks are anywhere near the find. Looking closer at the pics I see what appears to be bubbling, etc., typical of slag.
Is the piece heavy or light for its size? I would encourage you to try this: Simple Specific Gravity Test
MikeS
Looks like slag Nate. Specific gravity test or hardness may not be helpful enough to be conclusive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.