Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning Peridot
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
Iheartsparklerocks
Hello,

I'm a fairly new rock hound, and I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to clean peridot? I have several small pieces I picked up, that would be really pretty if they didn't have brownish stains on them. I've used super iron out on my aquas, smokies, and amethyst, but I want sure if it would hurt the peridot. Anyone tried it before? Or should I try vinegar first?
MikeS
QUOTE (Iheartsparklerocks @ Sep 3 2016, 10:37 PM) *
Hello,

I'm a fairly new rock hound, and I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to clean peridot? I have several small pieces I picked up, that would be really pretty if they didn't have brownish stains on them. I've used super iron out on my aquas, smokies, and amethyst, but I want sure if it would hurt the peridot. Anyone tried it before? Or should I try vinegar first?

Hi sparklerocks, welcome to the forums! sign0016.gif

I would guess vinegar and then iron out if necessary. As far as I know olivine/peridot does not have adverse reaction. Let us know how it works!
NewRockHounder
SIO won't hurt them... Been there done that, if nothing else - to take off the iron stain - we've found wet sandpaper to work wonders!!! Holy hell fire! You might get the same 'ol rusty crap (pocket mud... sure sure,...off) but wet/dry sandpaper (wet) works wonders for taking off layers of rust. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

(If it has natural facets and/er can be 'polished' er cleaned with such, if not... welp... wink.gif )

Colin
Iheartsparklerocks
Thank you! I'll let you know how it goes!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.