Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to begin....
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting and Rockhounding Gatherings or Events > Prospector's Outings and Adventures
GreggK
Howdy, I've recently moved to the Denver area and am itching to get out start prospecting or panning. As I am new to the area and hoping to get my feet wet in the very near term I thought I would ask if anyone knows where I could pull a tow-behind camper beside a river or creek to start my adventure. Ideally someplace within 90 minutes of Denver would be great. Even better would be if there is actually gold in the area! Any help or guidance would be very welcomed! Thanks, GreggK
NewRockHounder
Hello n Welcome smileywaving.gif

I'm no panner, but Clear Creek is a good place for panning and to meet members, check out this link to another post reguarding the matter. smiley-cool14.gif

http://www.coloradoprospector.com/forums/i...ost&p=43743

Colin
EMac
If you don't mind some sketchy water, you can work many places along the S. Platte in Denver as well. Around the city and even in Clear Creek Canyon, we typically see mostly flour gold. Check the rules for where you intend to dig since it's all private/city/county property around Denver. Cache Creek is an option, but when I went, I didn't see where you could pull a trailer up close. It's also further than 90 minutes away.

If you're interested in Clear Creek, I might be up there Saturday. Haven't decided yet.
GreggK
Thanks All!
CP
Hi Gregg,

Welcome to Colorado and the Colorado Prospector club too! happy088.gif

Clear creek is a great place to get started but not a place to pull the camper though. Great place for a day trip for sure. You'll also want to check out the club members researched areas as well, definitely be some good places for campers to go on those and maybe find several different things.

Keep your eyes on the forum too, many of the club members discuss their plans for trips and invite others to meet up with them in the field. smiley-cool14.gif
swizz
Hi Gregg and welcome to CP!! sign0016.gif
I'm on the other side of the divide and happy to wet a pan with you on Clear Creek sometime. We'll be poking around there most of the winter again I think.
MikeS
Welcome to the Club and forums Gregg! sign0016.gif

Be sure to keep an eye on the protected forums for club member meet ups. happy112.gif
NewRockHounder
YEAH! 2c.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.