Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help teach this old dog new tricks!
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
WaldenFound
hey guys, it's me again

was wondering if I could get some help from those who may have some insight into the UTM mapping system. I recently ordered a set of topographic maps for the colorado mineral belt, and it came with a series of way points I need to plot in degrees/minutes/seconds. I thought this shouldn't be hard at all, because I used to teach LandNav in the service... but alas I now realize how much different UTM is compared to my old school method of using MGRS. I tried comprehending it, but it seems like a whole diffrent way to measure and plot way points on a map, instead of a simple grid system.

the only other way I can compare my frustration would be that whole Common Core nonsense with simple arithmetic. ugh.

anybody know of a UTM tutorial for dummies? I'm a little frustrated with myself, I guess mgrs landnav does not easily transfer over to this system. I can always buy mgrs topographic maps, and figure out how to convert degrees/minutes/seconds, but I'd like to learn how to use utm, just to build my knowledge base. thanks all!

WF. (or should I just now sign off as "WTF" haha)
EMac
Our friends over at Canoe U have some help for you: MGRS vs UTM
EMac
These may help too:

Montana State Map Converter

Moveable Type Mapping - this one has a decent breakdown as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.