Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asteroid explodes over Az. 6/2/2016
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Off Topic
CP
Reported on Spaceweather.com ..... A small asteroid exploded over Arizona on June 2 at around 4:00 am turning the dark morning sky to day light nearly. Only being a few meters wide weighing some 10's of tons but what might be interesting to you meteorite hunters is......

Quoting Bill Cooke from the article Asteroid explodes over Arizona on SpaceWeather.com.

"There are no reports of any damage or injuries—just a lot of light and few sonic booms," says Cooke. "If Doppler radar is any indication, there are almost certainly meteorites scattered on the ground north of Tucson."

info_grin.gif So for those who may be interested if you're going that way and like looking for meteorites, keep your eyes open in those areas. Could be a good spread of new ones out there to find! signs021.gif sweet.gif

EMac
I'm interested in looking for meteorites. Haven't seen any reports on this side of Colorado this year though:

AMS Fireball Reports
EMac
I'm curious how many folks here go out specifically looking for meteors, and how much success have you had? I know one member at least (Tonko...Astrobleme I think is the handle) is working on an impact theory on the western side of the state. I'd love to tag along sometime if someone out there is willing to put up with me asking dumb questions.

I'm considering the factors involved, and it's got to be way more miss than hit. For instance, if any of this fireball made it to the ground, that's an incredibly large area to go searching for remnants that are likely extremely small. Considering our gorgeous mountains are covered in rocks, that raises the difficulty somewhat as well.

The payoff seems to be huge though. Slightly over half an ounce can go for ~$18k according to this article: Discovery News

I downloaded the AMS app, and think I'll try the techniques described (observations in conjunction with weather radar) to locate the fall area for any Colorado meteors. Land status research is still important depending on where that fall area lies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.