Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First timer
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Happy2Hockey
Hey guys, I was hoping some of you were meeting up sometime in June around Northern Colorado or close to Denver for some panning. I have been panning a few times and have had very little success. I did find a little gold but it was probably more lucky than good. I would love to tag along and learn how to correctly pan. Let me know if anyone is going out for a half day or a day. Thanks.

Crusty
A few of us will be at Clear Creek tomorrow all day, near the big parking area on the black hawk side (near the county line). Look for a big black avalanche.
EMac
Definitely; first panning lesson is free. Just don't blame us if you get addicted.

If you miss the monster Avalanche, I'll be in a blue Tacoma.
MikeS
QUOTE (Happy2Hockey @ May 20 2016, 11:22 AM) *
Hey guys, I was hoping some of you were meeting up sometime in June around Northern Colorado or close to Denver for some panning. I have been panning a few times and have had very little success. I did find a little gold but it was probably more lucky than good. I would love to tag along and learn how to correctly pan. Let me know if anyone is going out for a half day or a day. Thanks.

Welcome to the Colorado Prospector forums Happy2Hockey! sign0016.gif

Meeting up with some of these great folks on Clear Creek in Jefferson County is a great way to get an introduction to gold panning and have a look at other methods of getting gold. I will be hunting for gold elsewhere the next 2 weekends. Maybe the next 6 weekends. lol

signs026.gif
Happy2Hockey
QUOTE (Crusty @ May 20 2016, 12:18 PM) *
A few of us will be at Clear Creek tomorrow all day, near the big parking area on the black hawk side (near the county line). Look for a big black avalanche.

When is the next trip out? I will be available June 5th or maybe either sat/sun the remainder of JUNE. Either way, I would love to meet up with you guys and learn some basics. Is there anything up North or is Poudre canyon/big Thompson canyon no bueno?

Crusty
QUOTE (Happy2Hockey @ May 27 2016, 09:29 AM) *
When is the next trip out? I will be available June 5th or maybe either sat/sun the remainder of JUNE. Either way, I would love to meet up with you guys and learn some basics. Is there anything up North or is Poudre canyon/big Thompson canyon no bueno?

There is usually one of us at Clear Creek on Saturdays if there is nothing else going on.
Happy2Hockey
QUOTE (Crusty @ May 27 2016, 10:50 AM) *
There is usually one of us at Clear Creek on Saturdays if there is nothing else going on.

Can you provide me with a mile marker or some other reference? I'm not familiar with I-70 West of 25

EMac
US 6 through Clear Creek Canyon is where I've been going. Steady flour gold available (although pickers have been seen), and a few of us meet up at the big sign near mile marker ~260. There's usually a rafting bus/van/truck there hanging out as well. I was there Friday, Saturday and Monday. If I know you're coming, I'll bring my sluice. They can be a bit tricky to setup in the high water though.

Click to view attachment
EMac
Weather looks good so far for Saturday, so I plan to be there. There's a possibility I may go Friday afternoon too.

I recommend new folks bring at least a bucket; I don't mind giving you some cons to work on for when you get home. Other basic gear would be a pan, shovel and classifier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.