Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Supplies for first-time prospector
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Silky
I've been collecting supplies for prospecting (I still need my gold pans) and don't know what all is needed. I spread it all out yesterday and ask that you look at what I have and make suggestions on what else I need that I forgot. My list was 84 things long and I checked off most of them.

OOPS! HOW DO YOU DELETE POSTS? SEEMS I REPOSTED INSTEAD OF EDITED.
swizz
More 5 gal buckets and a 1/2" classifier that fits on top of the bucket.... like this: 1/2" Classifier
Silky
Oh, oh yeah, you're right! I have on my 84-item list to make a screen for the top of my blue tub (not in photo) that I'm rigging my solar-powered aquarium pump up to that rinses the gems on the spot--that's what all that tubing on the right is for. But that's a bit big to be carrying on my back up 14,000 feet! I could use the 5-gal bucket for tools on the way up, like I have in the background with that tool carrier in it. Doing it your way saves a whole lot of hassle and a lot less to carry!

Thanks for suggestion! I was also going to have to go in dad's shop and make the screen border and use power tools. Power tools and me don't get along real well and I was stressing it!

Silk!
Silky
I was also wondering if anybody noticed that all I have is saltwater tackle in my tackle box and that's not going to work too well up there. I only have 20-lb test. Is there a use for 20-lb test up there? And then there's the hooks that are gargantuan for tuna, wahoo, redfish and snapper. Will those hooks be okay? What about those weights? No, I'm not going to Colorado to fish but I love it so much that I won't be able to skip it when I see a good trout stream. I don't fly fish -- -I don't know how :(
Silky
QUOTE (swizz @ Apr 11 2016, 11:55 AM) *
More 5 gal buckets and a 1/2" classifier that fits on top of the bucket.... like this: 1/2" Classifier

Okay, I'm confusing myself. At first, I thought you were talking about for rinsing gems but these are for gold, duh! Okay, well, I could use one of the other pans with a larger "slot size" for that, right? As you can see, I don't know the terminology yet! Okay, while watching the vid that comes with the ad on ebay, it showed gold prospecting.

He's using like, 6 sifting pans of different classifiers to pan gold. Couldn't I get a set of 6 and use them for gold AND gems?
Thoughts?
swizz
I primarily prospect for Gold so hopefully one of the others here can give you suggestions for the gem stuff.
For fishing gear.... leave all the gear and tackle you mentioned. For spin gear you can get by with an inexpensive setup that is in the realm of handling 6-10lb test. A selection of small Kastmasters and small Panther Martin spinners should catch you a few Trout just about anywhere here. fishing1.gif
johnnybravo300
Sunscreen, a lot of water, and mucho food! Gotta feed the primary mining machine! At 14000 feet alot of people feel 20 years older!
A headlight for seeing in the hole you dig is always good when you need it. Knee pads are nice to have. Clear safety glasses keep your eyes protected and won't tint out any colors you need to look for while your digging like tinted glasses will.
Always keep rain gear close if your in the back country here. Cold is one thing and so is wet, but combine them and life sucks!
Lotions for dry skin and lip protection. (Your skin will dry out here especially at altitude very quickly).
Waterproof boots if your in waterways?
Bear spray just in case?
Bug repellant.
Wide brim hat. My ears and neck get fried.

You may already have these things but the pic is hard to tell.
Just some ideas.

MikeS
The main prospecting tools you want to carry while searching for a good spot to dig gems are your big shovel, small plastic scoop and pick(yellow handle). If your going for gold then a classifier/screen and gold pans too. If you find a good spot then come back the next day with the other gear like pumps and tubs.

Temps can drop fast up in the high altitudes so keep warm clothes rain gear on hand even if it's hot out. If you have not been to high altitudes before then watch yourself for signs of altitude sickness. I have seen hunters and tourists from out east come to the mountains for the first time and were unable to hike, sleep or breathe well and had to be transported to lower altitudes. Plan for more food and water then you usually use. The sun causes sunburns much quicker up there too. Sunscreen, hats and sunglasses.

Headlamps/flashlights w/ extra batteries.

Self Defense: Bear spray can stop man and beast alike just don't get it on yourself. I carry a pistol but I should carry both.

Good luck!
Silky
QUOTE (swizz @ Apr 11 2016, 07:13 PM) *
I primarily prospect for Gold so hopefully one of the others here can give you suggestions for the gem stuff.
For fishing gear.... leave all the gear and tackle you mentioned. For spin gear you can get by with an inexpensive setup that is in the realm of handling 6-10lb test. A selection of small Kastmasters and small Panther Martin spinners should catch you a few Trout just about anywhere here. fishing1.gif

What are spinners? Is that the type of reel used? I don't fly fish and that's the only thing you guys do out there, right? If so, wouldn't I need some flies or bugs? A fly fishing rod and tackle might be hard to find here at sea level! happy112.gif

Thanks for the tip, that's a lot of extra stuff I don't need to find a place for either in my car or when I get there!
Silky
QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Apr 11 2016, 09:28 PM) *
Sunscreen, a lot of water, and mucho food! Gotta feed the primary mining machine! At 14000 feet alot of people feel 20 years older!
A headlight for seeing in the hole you dig is always good when you need it. Knee pads are nice to have. Clear safety glasses keep your eyes protected and won't tint out any colors you need to look for while your digging like tinted glasses will.
Always keep rain gear close if your in the back country here. Cold is one thing and so is wet, but combine them and life sucks!
Lotions for dry skin and lip protection. (Your skin will dry out here especially at altitude very quickly).
Waterproof boots if your in waterways?
Bear spray just in case?
Bug repellant.
Wide brim hat. My ears and neck get fried.

You may already have these things but the pic is hard to tell.
Just some ideas.

Yikes! A lot of people feel 20 years older- that puts me at 78!
Headlamp - check - two
Knee pads (light weight ones and hard plastic ones) check
Clear safety glasses - check - have a new pair of clear I just bought and 3 pairs that Stewart used at work that are safety/sunglasses
Rain gear - check
Bug repellant - check - have citronella candles and Off with deet
Wide brim hat - check- straw

Everything else, thank you so much, I didn't know or think about!
Silky
QUOTE (MikeS @ Apr 11 2016, 11:54 PM) *
The main prospecting tools you want to carry while searching for a good spot to dig gems are your big shovel, small plastic scoop and pick(yellow handle). If your going for gold then a classifier/screen and gold pans too. If you find a good spot then come back the next day with the other gear like pumps and tubs.

Temps can drop fast up in the high altitudes so keep warm clothes rain gear on hand even if it's hot out. If you have not been to high altitudes before then watch yourself for signs of altitude sickness. I have seen hunters and tourists from out east come to the mountains for the first time and were unable to hike, sleep or breathe well and had to be transported to lower altitudes. Plan for more food and water then you usually use. The sun causes sunburns much quicker up there too. Sunscreen, hats and sunglasses.

Headlamps/flashlights w/ extra batteries.

Self Defense: Bear spray can stop man and beast alike just don't get it on yourself. I carry a pistol but I should carry both.

Good luck!

The only thing I can say about the altitude is that we lived in Alamogordo, NM for 7 months while Stewart was doing a job at White Sands. We would go up the Sierra Madres, I think was the name, and Cloudcroft that was high enough to have snow when it was 80 degrees on the ground. We didn't experience any side effects at all. We were in our 50's then. We also lived in Costa Rica for 1 year - no side effects- Nicaragua and Hawaii the same thing. I don't remember ever having a problem. That's not to say I won't. I also have never been sea sick. I can hang with the old timers and help out the young crowd that thinks they can jump on a boat and go out 30 miles for two days catching tuna. My new gal partner mentioned that and she recommended some altitude meds which I will surely get and totally forgotten about.

My gal partner also has weapons but we need to get some bear spray for sure! Yikes, I guess my little container of mace on my keychain won't do the trick :)

Headlamps, flashlights and extra batteries (even got a battery charger and extra rechargeable batteries)- check

Thank you! I'm adding to my list as we speak!
swizz
QUOTE (Silky @ Apr 12 2016, 08:14 AM) *
What are spinners?

Link: Panther Martin Spinners

QUOTE (Silky @ Apr 12 2016, 08:14 AM) *
I don't fly fish and that's the only thing you guys do out there, right?

No, just as many people prefer to use spin gear.
Here is an example of the type of rod and reel that would be suited for typical trout fishing in Colorado: Rod & Reel
Silky
Click the first picture to enlarge and you can see a lot more up close and personal. Now it's easier to tell me what I don't need as well as do need that you don't see.

Thanks!
EMac
Lots of good advice. My only 2 cents is that I've personally seen a buddy who was acclimated to ~7200 ft (for well over 2 years in the foothills in the Springs) develop HAPE (High Altitude Pulmonary Edema). We were working between 9000 and 11,000 ft at the time, so not nearly as high as you can get in CO (pun certainly intended). We took him down a couple thousand feet and he was treated for pneumonia for the next couple weeks. At the time this was an athletic, college-aged kid who was teaching outdoor survival; it can happen to just about anyone.

The other concern is HACE (High Altitude Cerebral Edema), and you can learn more here: Altitude.org

Nothing to get anxious about, but if you see symptoms, you HAVE to heed them.
johnnybravo300
Don't worry about black bears too much. I didn't mean to alarm, I just threw that in. I've seen plenty of bears and never had a prob. They are curious critters and they scavenge like giant coons. That gets them into more trouble than anything does. They are more of a nuisance than a danger.
Mountain lions don't usually show themselves but if you see one you can be sure she's already been watching you for miles and you've already been sized up hehe. They tend to keep my attention much more than a bear does. It's the ones I don't see that worry me!

Crusty
I always pack way too much, but if you've got room, better to have and not need than need and not have!

That tool carrier around a bucket is great for around the shop or garden... hiking up a mountain, probably not so much. First time it tips and your tools tumble down a slope, you'll regret it. Put them in your pack.

As was mentioned by others, there are even people who live at 6-7k feet here in CO have issues going above 9k'. Just pay attention to your body and react accordingly. If you end up having issues, luckily there are plenty of places to dig that are below 9k'.

You're already packing the most important thing, the desire for adventure! Looks like you're in for a great one!
Matty j
[size="4"][/size] You forgot to add yourself a jetboil. These kits are so handy and takes up little room.
fenixsmom
Once you get out and start prospecting you'll start figuring out what you need and what you don't. A pretty basic list is a large seasoned pan, a small seasoned pan, snuffer bottle, hiking backpack, 1/2" classifier and a few smaller sized, plenty of buckets, good waterproof gloves, waiders if working river placers, good broken in steel toe boots, leather gloves (dry digging), rock hammer (pick at one end), emergency weather clothes. Dry gear for rain, aluminum handled spade shovel( bonus: it floats), hand shovel, animal protection, food, water, ibuprofen and a basic medical kit. (Ouchies happen)
fenixsmom
Bait casters are a pain in the butt to use here. A good spinning reel is a lot more forgiving while casting. Like Swizzlestick said, 6-10 # line and panther Martin and spoon lures work great for trout.
When i moved here from FL we had to get rid of all our saltwater gear. Think small here, you aren't landing tuna, cudas and sharks. 😃 The fish will see the large line and gear and swim the other way.
EMac
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Jun 11 2016, 09:11 AM) *
A pretty basic list is a large seasoned pan, a small seasoned pan...

Will lemon pepper work? smiley-laughing021.gif
fenixsmom
Montreal steak for me! 😂
swizz
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Jun 11 2016, 09:57 AM) *
Montreal steak for me! 😂

mmmmmm..... my favorite on venison steaks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.