Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shelter and building options for placer mine in Colorado
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
rorybagleys
We're researching options for a mining site in Colorado. There are no main roads so we'll be barging in all of our equipment - including the raw materials for buildings. We've been looking at some portable fabric buildings like these as well as the option of building standard structures with lumber. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts one way or the other with these two types of buildings. Looking forward to getting out there and getting started.
johnnybravo300
I've got experience with those and there's one question.....
Do you want something that will last a few years or a lifetime? That would be the deciding factor.
An expensive yurt or weather port might last about 10-15 yrs in gunnison county if you maintain it well. The stitching will eventually rot away, like any tent.
Otherwise I'd use wood. That's my opinion.
With being that remote, do it once and be done unless money isn't a factor. If you need to rely on this structure or stay warm in it use wood.
swizz
QUOTE (rorybagleys @ Apr 7 2016, 05:20 PM) *
We're researching options for a mining site in Colorado. There are no main roads so we'll be barging in all of our equipment - including the raw materials for buildings.

Interesting! I'm assuming that this "mining site" is a Patented Claim, correct? I'd sure love to build on my mining claims, but alas, they are Location Claims. kick_can.gif
Good luck on your venture! emoticon-misc-004.gif
leonard
QUOTE (swizz @ Apr 8 2016, 06:27 AM) *
Interesting! I'm assuming that this "mining site" is a Patented Claim, correct? I'd sure love to build on my mining claims, but alas, they are Location Claims. kick_can.gif

I'm really interested! I can't wait to go see the barge come steaming up the Platte. The question seemed a lot more appropriate on the ICMJ forum and barging in Alaska.

Leonard
swizz
If I had a barge... I'd name it Marge.
leonard
QUOTE (swizz @ Apr 8 2016, 09:41 AM) *
If I had a barge... I'd name it Marge.

Shouldn't it be the Marge of Lake LaBarge?
Leonard
relicsncoins
QUOTE (swizz @ Apr 8 2016, 07:27 AM) *

Chris, can you not build a temporary structure on your claim as long as you remove it when you are finished with the mineral extraction?
swizz
Very much depends upon what kind of structure. Location claims are very restrictive in that regard. "Portable" would be much easier to get away with but "temporary" will draw red flags.
jhidek
I'd suggest looking into a surplus army tent like a GP small or medium. I've used a GP small both here and in Arizona, they hold up great in all weather and are very portable. I use a small surplus kerosene/diesel burning heater during the cold season here. If you can find one surplus, you can even go with a base-x or DRASH, you just have to EXACTLY follow the setup steps with a base-x to avoid breaking frame pieces. A 10 man surplus is usually under $600 and isn't bad weight wise, takes about 30 minutes to set up and is designed to work with heaters and stoves.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.