Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help ID mineral/gem
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
relicsncoins
While classifying some material for the sluice, I found this river washed stone that is quite heavy. It's a little larger than a golf ball, elongated. I could see some reddish/pinkish translucent material in the black/yellow matrix. I decided to cut a cross section from it. The cross section is about 1/8 inch thick and my photo is blurry, but the translucent material color is accurate. Any ideas?

Click to view attachment

Cross section.

Click to view attachment
swizz
My thoughts are.... huge Garnet! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
relicsncoins
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 22 2016, 07:05 PM) *
My thoughts are.... huge Garnet! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

That's the rock I showed you on CC a couple of weeks ago.
swizz
Yes, I recognized it.... you think it's Garnet? You should do a Simple Specific Gravity Test. That would help narrow things down. happy088.gif
Pyrope Garnet has a specific gravity of 3.5 - 3.6

edit: when you go to that link scroll to the bottom and look at that giant smokey he is holding! jawdrop.gif
relicsncoins
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 23 2016, 09:53 AM) *
Yes, I recognized it.... you think it's Garnet? You should do a Simple Specific Gravity Test. That would help narrow things down. happy088.gif
Pyrope Garnet has a specific gravity of 3.5 - 3.6

edit: when you go to that link scroll to the bottom and look at that giant smokey he is holding! jawdrop.gif

Wow!, that is a specimen. My Grandpa back in the 50's worked for the Montana Highway department, they were building a road somewhere in the Mountains, and he told me when they cut into the mountain side, there were 4 foot long individual quartz crystals, too heavy to even pick up. He did have one that was about a foot long. Wish I knew where it was exactly.
swizz
He probably could have retired with a couple of those 4 footers! ohmy.gif
Denise
Not sure what it is but that's a pretty color when held up to the light! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Nice find!
yakyakgoose
I know this is old but I came across something I was reading that had a pic that looked very similiar to this and is was a dinosaur bone that had been turned to agate or something....sorry for my lack of specifics, Im still a rockhounding idiot. Ill try to find it again.

EDIT: Jeez I am an idiot, it was on CP!

http://www.coloradoprospector.com/forums/i...?showtopic=2227
GeoMatt
Garnet. Nice size. Depending on where you found it, I'd be tracing back up stream to find a source.
swizz
Yup, I saw it first hand the day he found it... pretty sure it's Garnet. For sure the largest natural I've seen. Very river worn and dinged up so it's had a rough journey. It's a dark one but may be facet-worhy? How would a stone faceter go about determining how pure the interior is?
johnnybravo300
I found a garnet about pencil eraser size when I was at cc. They are around there for sure. I also was fooled for a second by the highway paint. I bet that gets everyone a time or two!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.