Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clear creek gold from Saturday 3/12.
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
relicsncoins
Had a chance to meet James and Swizz yesterday at Clear Creek. My first time sluicing on that creek, definitely will be going back. Panned the cons. out yesterday, good test of panning skills, that gold is
fine in that creek.

Click to view attachment
EMac
Not a bad showing! I look forward to seeing y'all out there sometime.
swizz
Nice work! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Your Angus MacKirk is the perfect sluice for catching those fines. happy088.gif
How many buckets did you move?
James and Cyndi
Way to break in the new sluice. A good portion of that creek got dredged back in the day, 50's I believe, and got most of the bigger stuff in the creek. Not to say there isnt a few pickers left though. I do like those Angus Mackirks, probably going to get a mini longtom like swizz has for sampling. I did have a pretty good cleanout but I think I had my sluice running a little to steep. I'm pretty sure there was some colors near the end of the mats. Boo. Oh well, live and learn, that was only the third time using that rig.
relicsncoins
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 14 2016, 06:06 PM) *
Nice work! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Your Angus MacKirk is the perfect sluice for catching those fines. happy088.gif
How many buckets did you move?

I think it was 8 classified 1/2 inch buckets. I need to get some kind of fine gold recovery system. It took a long time to pan the cons out with the fine gold in that creek.

swizz
There is a lot of micron Gold (minus #100 mesh) in CC, and it adds up. The best final recovery methods I can think of for the microns are Miller table, shaker table, or Blue Bowl. The Blue Bowl is by far the least expensive and very efficient but has a learning curve and requires patience. It works really well though once you have it dialed-in.
relicsncoins
Thanks, I've watched a couple videos on the Miller table, and it seems it would be pretty easy to build one with some thin sheet metal, pvc pipe and a pump.
swizz
If you do that, please post up a how-to thread and let us know how the build goes.... and how well it works. happy088.gif
relicsncoins
QUOTE (James and Cyndi @ Mar 14 2016, 09:06 PM) *
Way to break in the new sluice. A good portion of that creek got dredged back in the day, 50's I believe, and got most of the bigger stuff in the creek. Not to say there isnt a few pickers left though. I do like those Angus Mackirks, probably going to get a mini longtom like swizz has for sampling. I did have a pretty good cleanout but I think I had my sluice running a little to steep. I'm pretty sure there was some colors near the end of the mats. Boo. Oh well, live and learn, that was only the third time using that rig.

Hi James, I think my buddy, Kirk, had his flowing a little fast, he hasn't panned his out yet, so don't know what he recovered. I moved my sluice after 1 bucket, because I couldn't quite get the flow I wanted in the original spot.
EMac
Looks like Jesse and I will be up there tomorrow if anyone else wants to go. Water is starting to slow down somewhat, but it's still high. 263 is the likely spot, but 260 is possible as well...I wouldn't mind seeing that cute rafter float by again. blush.gif
RockAntix
QUOTE (relicsncoins @ Mar 14 2016, 10:27 AM) *
Had a chance to meet James and Swizz yesterday at Clear Creek. My first time sluicing on that creek, definitely will be going back. Panned the cons. out yesterday, good test of panning skills, that gold is
fine in that creek.

Click to view attachment

Where on clear creek was this? I have been all up and down there from parks in Golden up to the traffic light at Black Hawk but have yet to find nice gold like that! Ill definitely get a few colors but to me those are nuggets!! Also, what size classifier were you using and how many buckets of material did you run?

Any direction to a fellow prospecting would be much appreciated.
EMac
QUOTE (relicsncoins @ Mar 15 2016, 09:18 AM) *
I think it was 8 classified 1/2 inch buckets. I need to get some kind of fine gold recovery system. It took a long time to pan the cons out with the fine gold in that creek.

This is from earlier in the post. I suspect they were near MM 260.
relicsncoins
QUOTE (EMac @ Aug 16 2016, 04:59 PM) *
This is from earlier in the post. I suspect they were near MM 260.

Yep, it was where I met you the first time.
EMac
I might be up there this weekend.
RockAntix
QUOTE (EMac @ Aug 17 2016, 11:56 AM) *
I might be up there this weekend.

I would love to meet some people up there if you happen to be going on Sunday.
relicsncoins
QUOTE (RockAntix @ Aug 17 2016, 02:31 PM) *
I would love to meet some people up there if you happen to be going on Sunday.

My work schedule changed in July. My days off are now sun, mon, tues and every other wed. I will be going up this coming Monday most likely.
EMac
Bummer J...would be cool to dig with you again.

I decided to take a week off of camping, so I'm heading up to Clear Creek on Saturday. Jen says she wants to learn so she can dig her own gold, and her neighbor wants me to show her gold diggin' as well.

Anyone else going? This is a time Crusty's Gold Rush bucket might come in handy...
swizz
There is a chance that Timber and I can make it on Sat. I'm in need of some shovel therapy. emoticon-misc-004.gif
EMac
That would be awesome! I hope you can make it.
Crusty
Bummer, already have plans for Sat. Hope y'all have a great day!
swizz
QUOTE (EMac @ Aug 18 2016, 06:01 PM) *
That would be awesome! I hope you can make it.

I can make it. PM me with a MM and I'll see ya there. I'll probably show around 8am-ish. Going to take my new neighbor who is a partially disabled veteran, very nice guy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.