Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introduction and Yesterdays Trip
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Laughing_Guest
Hello all. My name is David, but you may refer to me however you please. I once was an avid fossil and mineral hunter, but for one reason or another fell from the hobby. Recent investigations have re-sparked my interests so I made the decision to become more active in finding and researching minerals, fossils, and geology.
After much research and waiting for the right time to come my girlfriend and I took a trip just above boulder and investigated some road cuts. Bingo! We found countless cephalopod fossils and molds, but most were crushed and/or undefined. The makeup of the site was mostly shale, but had two features that we could not identify; The first feature we could not figure out was an orange layer between layers of shale that had small crystal clusters of some kind growing in the middle. The second and most baffling to us was an entire layer of thin crystal (fibres?) terminating from a plane directly in the middle of the layer. Our first assumption on the latter was serpentine group mineral, but we are not convinced. If there is any interest I will upload some photos of the finds tomorrow.
EMac
Welcome to the forums David! Lots of good information and folks on here: digging for crystals and other values, land status research, filing claims, equipment, techniques, camaraderie, etc. If you notice an odd vibe, just ignore that smiley-laughing021.gif

I primarily resonate with digging for gold, but have developed an interest in other minerals from seeing the cool finds from the folks on here. I learned most recently about slickensides from Astrobleme's posts, so definitely keep checking in.

Cheers!
MikeS
Hello David, welcome to the forums! sign0016.gif

Be careful when prospecting in Boulder County. This county is not very friendly to prospectors. It would be wise to ensure you are on Federal Public Lands within this county.

The fibers you describe sound like Gypsum (satin spar). I may be able to identify better with some pics.

Crusty
Welcome! Glad you're back in to finding stuff in the field! Look forward to seeing pics of your finds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.