Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cache creek recomendations
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting and Rockhounding Gatherings or Events > Prospector's Outings and Adventures
johnnybravo300
I'm going spend some time there this summer camping with a buddy. I've never been there but I know that's it's a well used area with lots of holes.
I've seen that some guys have luck in the dry gulches along there somewhere. Anyone familiar with the area or know of a good spot to dig in and find more than specks?
EMac
I was out there for a weekend last year. We parked near the cemetery, and camped in the the circle of trees at the bottom of the hill. There are a lot of holes there, and it was pretty easy to sample a bunch of them to figure where I wanted to work. I gained confidence that I'd picked the right spot when another dude showed up later in the day who has been out there working for a couple weeks. He pulled up right next to me in the hole I rejected because of the shelf over the hole. Further back up a gulch, you could see where people are making widowmakers...some you'd have to have your whole body under which just ain't worth it for a few specks of gold.

Frankly, aside from getting to camp with the family, the gold wasn't as plentiful compared to what I see in Clear Creek. The counterbalance is this was just one trip and I could have missed the boat. I'm somewhat confident I was in the right area as I saw similar feedback from knowledgeable folks last year (The Weilnaus). They also reported the water levels were really low when they went.

You'll see claim markers as well, but the ones I saw were from before the BLM took it over (I've forgotten the auspices that prevents new claims, but did the research before I left).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.