Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mercury questions
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
johnnybravo300
I panned out some more mercury yesterday digging under a massive rock eroding out of the bank.
Has anyone used it before for fine gold recovery?
From what it sounds like I could mix it with my fine gold and then cook it off with a propane torch, and it forms a button?
If so, couldn't I dump some in my cons and shake it around to retrieve gold that way?
Does the mercury cause the gold to bond together to form a single chunk?
swizz
I wouldn't advise using Mercury, very dangerous. One whiff while burning it off will send you to your grave. Modern methods of separation and even kiln methods are far safer and easier than working with Mercury.
Please stay away from that stuff, I like you.
James and Cyndi
To do it safely, you need a retort. There are videos how to make them yourself, but then you need a way to SAFELY dispose the Mercury. I recommend saving all of your contaminated gold in a separate vial until you have enough to make any decisions on the next step. 2c.gif
Silky
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 1 2016, 01:27 PM) *
I wouldn't advise using Mercury, very dangerous. One whiff while burning it off will send you to your grave. Modern methods of separation and even kiln methods are far safer and easier than working with Mercury.
Please stay away from that stuff, I like you.

I totally agree. All the videos I've watched about it, they have a special thick glass container with lid to roll the mercury off into and separate it somehow like that. Look up the Youtube videos--they could save your life.
johnnybravo300
I probably won't be trying that. Something safer would suit me fine. I'll keep collecting it and see what I can do with it later.
CP
QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Mar 1 2016, 12:04 PM) *
I panned out some more mercury yesterday digging under a massive rock eroding out of the bank. Has anyone used it before for fine gold recovery? From what it sounds like I could mix it with my fine gold and then cook it off with a propane torch, and it forms a button? If so, couldn't I dump some in my cons and shake it around to retrieve gold that way? Does the mercury cause the gold to bond together to form a single chunk?

Good posts/replies and yep I'd agree, not worth the risk trying it without proper knowledge and gear for all the processes involved, not just the mercury but chemicals used also could be a real problem storing/handling. Best to just keep your gold that has mercury stuck on it separate from the gold that doesn't. Maybe when you have the time, gear etc. later you'll have a bit more to do saved in the vial and it will be worth your time. Or if you happen to find or know someone that does have the proper gear and set up, get them to help you out for a cut of the gold or a fee?

Gold won't clump together in mercury, it's more of a surface tension relationship.....gold and mercury have very similar surface tensions which causes mercury to basically "stick" to the gold but does not permeate it past the surface. Small gold fines will seem stuck in a clump sometimes in the vial but it's still the mercury's surface tension holding it in a clump. If you were to put a clean gold nugget into some mercury with fine gold in it, the nugget will still come out of the mercury easily without other gold stuck on, but will be coated completely with the mercury.

Good questions to ask since it's something many folks find with their gold around some spots in the state.

johnnybravo300
Thanks for the info. Burning it seemed very questionable to me without thinking about it very hard hehe. I probably won't be trying that for a few specks.
There are so many different methods and opinions but I want to live to dig another day!
What bothers me more is that I'm sure there is good gold in this hole, I just can't get to it yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.