Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great site - First time posting
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
KennyRay
I'm a CO native but just transfered to Ft Collins. Does anyone know of areas in Northern CO that allows panning and slicing or possibly detecting? My son and I have been enjoying this as a hobby and really miss being able to get out on a day trip somewhere close. We have had some success around Buena Vista on GPAA ground in the past but haven't been able to pin down any locations in this area yet. Again great site and enjoying the posts. Ken
swizz
QUOTE (KennyRay @ Feb 28 2016, 07:17 AM) *
I'm a CO native but just transfered to Ft Collins. Does anyone know of areas in Northern CO that allows panning and slicing or possibly detecting?

Hi Ken and welcome to CP Forums! sign0016.gif
I'm not aware of any designated recreational areas in northern Colorado that allow prospecting, which doesn't mean there aren't any. However..... if you are an American citizen you have rights to prospect on any/all NFS and BLM lands that are not claimed (or private). It's very important that you know what land you are standing on before breaking ground or collecting. We definitely specialize in helping people grasp the process of land status research on this site and we're here to help. Once you can determine land status... the sky is the limit! Colorado has a lot to offer in terms of prospect-worthy public lands. Still very much that is open to claim. happy088.gif
There are also designated open spaces and parks that allow prospecting throughout the state. They are technically private property since they are owned by Counties, State, City, or other private entities and sometimes allow prospecting within whatever guidelines/rules that they set. They are not legally compelled to allow prospecting as a recreational activity. Most parks and open spaces do not allow it but some do and are very popular. Many of us use Jeffco Open Space in Clear Creek Canyon occasionally to prospect for Gold. It's convenient but users must abide by the Jeffco Open Space prospecting rules for that area which can be found online at their site and posted on signs in the canyon.
I own two claims in northern Colorado but they are on the other side of the divide from you. I host several CP Club gatherings there every year for CP Annual and Lifetime Members. Lifetime Members have free reign and can camp and prospect there all season. That is a club donation from me. Everyone may keep everything they find.
You certainly do not have to join the CP Club to obtain prospecting/mining independence, the open forums have all the information you will ever need and if you get stuck or can't find it, certainly start a new thread. We're here to help folks do it right, and do it legally. Welcome!
Silky
QUOTE (KennyRay @ Feb 28 2016, 08:17 AM) *
I'm a CO native but just transfered to Ft Collins. Does anyone know of areas in Northern CO that allows panning and slicing or possibly detecting? My son and I have been enjoying this as a hobby and really miss being able to get out on a day trip somewhere close. We have had some success around Buena Vista on GPAA ground in the past but haven't been able to pin down any locations in this area yet. Again great site and enjoying the posts. Ken

The best advice I can give you is to google, google, and more googling! You'll find some sweet spots.
KennyRay
QUOTE (swizz @ Feb 28 2016, 07:56 AM) *
Hi Ken and welcome to CP Forums! sign0016.gif I'm not aware of any designated recreational areas in northern Colorado that allow prospecting, which doesn't mean there aren't any. However..... if you are an American citizen you have rights to prospect on any/all NFS and BLM lands that are not claimed (or private). It's very important that you know what land you are standing on before breaking ground or collecting. We definitely specialize in helping people grasp the process of land status research on this site and we're here to help. Once you can determine land status... the sky is the limit! Colorado has a lot to offer in terms of prospect-worthy public lands. Still very much that is open to claim. happy088.gif There are also designated open spaces and parks that allow prospecting throughout the state. They are technically private property since they are owned by Counties, State, City, or other private entities and sometimes allow prospecting within whatever guidelines/rules that they set. They are not legally compelled to allow prospecting as a recreational activity. Most parks and open spaces do not allow it but some do and are very popular. Many of us use Jeffco Open Space in Clear Creek Canyon occasionally to prospect for Gold. It's convenient but users must abide by the Jeffco Open Space prospecting rules for that area which can be found online at their site and posted on signs in the canyon. I own two claims in northern Colorado but they are on the other side of the divide from you. I host several CP Club gatherings there every year for CP Annual and Lifetime Members. Lifetime Members have free reign and can camp and prospect there all season. That is a club donation from me. Everyone may keep everything they find. You certainly do not have to join the CP Club to obtain prospecting/mining independence, the open forums have all the information you will ever need and if you get stuck or can't find it, certainly start a new thread. We're here to help folks do it right, and do it legally. Welcome!

Thanks for all the great information and suggestions. I have been doing research on the process of trying to get my own claim but I think I have a long way to go at this point. I've also been checking BLM/Open areas but finding out if any of it is private or have claims on them hasn't been easy. I will not go prospecting anywhere without being sure that I'm allowed to be on the property, I don't need or want any problems. It sounds like Clear Creek is a good location and probably an hour & a half from here but still not sure where to go and at what points from Golden to Black Hawk is open. Are there any permits needed or any thing else I need to know? I am also looking at joining the club, it sounds like an active group vs some that sound like they don't do much more than have meetings. Thanks again

swizz
We can help you a lot with the research. happy088.gif
It takes a little patience and perseverance but if you go through it just once... you'll quickly get the hang of it. It is very satisfying and rewarding to have a grasp on that aspect of prospecting. When I first visited this forum I was so green that I didn't even know people could still stake claims. It was very eye-opening when I started asking questions (a lot). I'm the type that enjoys being a beginner at things so the learning process was fascinating to me, and empowering to know that I have these rights as an American citizen. The prerequisite really is land status research, which isn't that difficult. It's tricky at first and maybe a little intimidating since it normally involves a physical visit to the County Clerk/Recorder office to ask for and obtain files. But hey... that's exactly what the old-timers had to do... and little has changed for this process, because it works! Now we can drive our truck to the County Clerk instead of riding a Mule.
Let's save the land status research questions for another thread, you have plenty to explore in terms of learning but I bet that you get a firm grasp on things here. I certainly did. The research part is pretty easy after you've done it once, the rest gradually falls into place.
Regarding Clear Creek. We've been hitting it almost weekly lately since the weather has been cooperative and you can definitely jump in with us at any time, it would be great to meet you... whether you join the club or not. Just follow the Clear Creek thread we have going and jump in at any time. No permits are required for that particular Open Space. Lately we've been working the upper potion of the property near MM260. That's about the end of the line for the canyon's Open Space boundary. Jeffco Open Space's website has mapping and more information, rules, etc. It's mostly fine and micron Gold but we always do pretty well on that creek.
Feel free to jump in with us any time! cheers.gif
KennyRay
QUOTE (swizz @ Feb 29 2016, 06:27 AM) *
We can help you a lot with the research. happy088.gif It takes a little patience and perseverance but if you go through it just once... you'll quickly get the hang of it. It is very satisfying and rewarding to have a grasp on that aspect of prospecting. When I first visited this forum I was so green that I didn't even know people could still stake claims. It was very eye-opening when I started asking questions (a lot). I'm the type that enjoys being a beginner at things so the learning process was fascinating to me, and empowering to know that I have these rights as an American citizen. The prerequisite really is land status research, which isn't that difficult. It's tricky at first and maybe a little intimidating since it normally involves a physical visit to the County Clerk/Recorder office to ask for and obtain files. But hey... that's exactly what the old-timers had to do... and little has changed for this process, because it works! Now we can drive our truck to the County Clerk instead of riding a Mule. Let's save the land status research questions for another thread, you have plenty to explore in terms of learning but I bet that you get a firm grasp on things here. I certainly did. The research part is pretty easy after you've done it once, the rest gradually falls into place. Regarding Clear Creek. We've been hitting it almost weekly lately since the weather has been cooperative and you can definitely jump in with us at any time, it would be great to meet you... whether you join the club or not. Just follow the Clear Creek thread we have going and jump in at any time. No permits are required for that particular Open Space. Lately we've been working the upper potion of the property near MM260. That's about the end of the line for the canyon's Open Space boundary. Jeffco Open Space's website has mapping and more information, rules, etc. It's mostly fine and micron Gold but we always do pretty well on that creek. Feel free to jump in with us any time! cheers.gif

I will keep searching and my wife actually works for the county clerk / motor vehicle but may be able to help me out. I'm trying to keep notes on steps to take from start to finish in order to get my own claim. Is there a web site you know of that explains this process or do I just need to keep researching, reading and asking questions when needed. I have a friend here that has been out with his metal detector some maybe we could both join you on a Fri or Sat at Clear Creek, it sounds like a great time in the outdoors doing something fun. I'll see what happens and let you know, Thanks for the invite by the way.

CP
Hi KennyRay, welcome to the forums! Kudo's on your research intentions to keep it clear in the field, that is awesome!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Even though you can google your fingers off and find some possible locations to prospect, google does not tell you a bit about legal access or open to prospect. confused0082[1].gif

You've actually just found the best website ColoradoProspector.com (IMHO smile.gif ), to help you learn about the research as well as claim staking, filing and working as a claim owner. That is exactly what we concentrate efforts to help club members especially learn. Your success in the field with proper knowledge is super satisfying as Swizz said. It may seem confusing at first but once you've gotten the hang of it, the process can then be repeated when needed for your future prospecting anywhere. research.gif

Thank you very much for the kind compliments on the site also, we'd all be honored to have you and your families future participation in the club.
A single membership includes your immediate family and does help support the website for everyone's use in the future. signs021.gif Thanks for considering the club as one of your choice to join. The more you learn about prospecting as you progress, the more you'll enjoy and benefit from the club membership over time too! Let us know anytime if you have questions.

Good luck on all your prospecting this season! emoticon-misc-004.gif
Silky
QUOTE (KennyRay @ Feb 29 2016, 06:14 AM) *
Thanks for all the great information and suggestions. I have been doing research on the process of trying to get my own claim but I think I have a long way to go at this point. I've also been checking BLM/Open areas but finding out if any of it is private or have claims on them hasn't been easy. I will not go prospecting anywhere without being sure that I'm allowed to be on the property, I don't need or want any problems. It sounds like Clear Creek is a good location and probably an hour & a half from here but still not sure where to go and at what points from Golden to Black Hawk is open. Are there any permits needed or any thing else I need to know? I am also looking at joining the club, it sounds like an active group vs some that sound like they don't do much more than have meetings. Thanks again

Speaking of "allowed to be on the property" If you are looking for your own claim but don't know where to go to find out and find a good one, because you don't want to buy a claim and not produce, why don't you do this-- Go to Billyland.com and buy a piece of property near some good areas for $100 down and $92 a month. That way you can stay on your own land nearby and get the info from the locals while you build your cabin. There are many areas for sale for pennies on the dollar out in Sangre De Cristos and there's everything out there from gold mines to gemmy properties. That's what I'm looking at right now. I don't know anybody at Billyland.com and not getting anything for this referral, just so ya know!

Silky
swizz
Caveat emptor with that plan.... not all land deeds/titles include mineral rights. If this is a plan make sure that mineral rights are included, someone else may legally own those rights even if you purchase the land.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.