Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prospecting
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
aggum1983
Hello, will anyone be doing any new prospecting this spring/summer that I might be able to tag along with? I want to learn the tricks of the trade in the field.
swizz
Yes. We are currently hitting CC on a fairly regular basis for Gold (we had a blast yesterday). It's just recreational prospecting but still fun. Jump in any time! Springtime will be here soon and most of us will be getting out to many different locations, claims, etc. Stay tuned for invites.
CP_Member.gif
johnnybravo300
I know I'm changing up my routine this summer. I'm going to spend more weeks in the San Juans looking for a "golden" payday instead of digging in teller county for amazonite and smokies. There has to be a few veins around that were missed! My partner is working on it feverishly, he's sure there is hehe. A big payday would be nice!
There sure is alot of gold around without the sources located. Sounds like an adventure to me.
MikeS
QUOTE (aggum1983 @ Feb 9 2016, 05:05 PM) *
Hello, will anyone be doing any new prospecting this spring/summer that I might be able to tag along with? I want to learn the tricks of the trade in the field.

I should have some invites for club members coming soon aggum. Keep an eye on the protected forums. smiley-cool14.gif
aggum1983
QUOTE (swizz @ Feb 10 2016, 05:32 AM) *
Yes. We are currently hitting CC on a fairly regular basis for Gold (we had a blast yesterday). It's just recreational prospecting but still fun. Jump in any time! Springtime will be here soon and most of us will be getting out to many different locations, claims, etc. Stay tuned for invites.
CP_Member.gif

Great. All i am interested in at this point is recreational anyway, so that works out great. I want to get a firm knowledge before i start the process of staking my own claim in the future.
aggum1983
QUOTE (MikeS @ Feb 10 2016, 05:15 PM) *
I should have some invites for club members coming soon aggum. Keep an eye on the protected forums. smiley-cool14.gif

Awesome. Thank you. I look forward to the upcoming season
Silky
QUOTE (aggum1983 @ Feb 9 2016, 06:05 PM) *

I am also looking for a partner to have as backup because I will be coming out alone from Houston. I am female and have studied this business for two years and have learned a hell of a lot. I don't own a claim or anything and will be digging in public places. I also cant seem to figure out how you go about hiding your finds from thieves at my campsite once I am in the field. I want to maybe room with someone or them with me and maybe we can afford to stay someplace more protected where I can store my gear that I'm not using that day. I have tons of things I am bringing from tools to proper clothing and I just can't see leaving it at a campsite for two months.

Where are you from and what's your deal? I am planning my trip for the middle of April actually, maybe May 1st when the weather is less threatening.

What do you think? Do you live in Colorado?

Silky
Silky
QUOTE (aggum1983 @ Feb 13 2016, 10:22 AM) *
Great. All i am interested in at this point is recreational anyway, so that works out great. I want to get a firm knowledge before i start the process of staking my own claim in the future.

I'm in as well but I am looking for gems more so than gold.

Silk
aggum1983
QUOTE (Silky @ Feb 13 2016, 02:39 PM) *
I am also looking for a partner to have as backup because I will be coming out alone from Houston. I am female and have studied this business for two years and have learned a hell of a lot. I don't own a claim or anything and will be digging in public places. I also cant seem to figure out how you go about hiding your finds from thieves at my campsite once I am in the field. I want to maybe room with someone or them with me and maybe we can afford to stay someplace more protected where I can store my gear that I'm not using that day. I have tons of things I am bringing from tools to proper clothing and I just can't see leaving it at a campsite for two months.

Where are you from and what's your deal? I am planning my trip for the middle of April actually, maybe May 1st when the weather is less threatening.

What do you think? Do you live in Colorado?

Silky

Yes i do live in Colorado. I kind of just want to stay local to the North of Colorado springs. Occasionally venture out further. I don't want to do many overnights, just something that i can plan fo a day trip
Silky
QUOTE (aggum1983 @ Feb 14 2016, 04:48 PM) *
Yes i do live in Colorado. I kind of just want to stay local to the North of Colorado springs. Occasionally venture out further. I don't want to do many overnights, just something that i can plan fo a day trip

I wanted to mention that whoever is going gold prospecting must know that only 20% of the Earth's gold has been found. Can you imagine that there's 80% left that we haven't found? I could daydream for years on that one thought. greensmilies-007.gif

I now will be staying at a BNB in Salida. My niece found place for me because she was worried about me camping by myself (so was I) but I'm tough and street smart and, of course, I always take "Matilda "with me. I would like a pre-trained dog smiley-chores016.gif to pal with but that would mean I would have to train her to take care of me and make sure she can travel well and it's just too much for my first trip.

I plan to rent a 4-wheeler Transportation.gif so that I don't have to hike everywhere I go. I've been pretty sedentary confused0082[1].gif since I retired (10 years) and between that, smoking and my age (58), hiking 14,000 feet was going to be challenging for sure. It's coming together tho and I can't wait!

How's your weather emoticon-object-024.gif been so far this year? I saw that you guys had a L-O-N-G winter last year and tornadoes in places they've never been seen (Lake George).
aggum1983
QUOTE (Silky @ Feb 14 2016, 05:29 PM) *
I wanted to mention that whoever is going gold prospecting must know that only 20% of the Earth's gold has been found. Can you imagine that there's 80% left that we haven't found? I could daydream for years on that one thought. greensmilies-007.gif I now will be staying at a BNB in Salida. My niece found place for me because she was worried about me camping by myself (so was I) but I'm tough and street smart and, of course, I always take "Matilda "with me. I would like a pre-trained dog smiley-chores016.gif to pal with but that would mean I would have to train her to take care of me and make sure she can travel well and it's just too much for my first trip. I plan to rent a 4-wheeler Transportation.gif so that I don't have to hike everywhere I go. I've been pretty sedentary confused0082[1].gif since I retired (10 years) and between that, smoking and my age (58), hiking 14,000 feet was going to be challenging for sure. It's coming together tho and I can't wait! How's your weather emoticon-object-024.gif been so far this year? I saw that you guys had a L-O-N-G winter last year and tornadoes in places they've never been seen (Lake George).

So far the weather has been great here. Supposed to be 71 on Thursday. However, the weather here can be tricky. It can snow as late as the beginning of June and be 80 in January. It's hard to predict here. But typically it's pretty mild here.

swizz
I think it depends largely upon elevation.
It's full blown winter right now at about anywhere above 8K ft.... peak season for our ski areas. I'm at around 9K elevation and have at least 4ft of snow holding tuff in the yard. Most nights are below zero and daytime highs below +30. Snowbanks in our town are about 5ft tall average and they are growing, not melting. Only about an hour away.... the front range (about 5K - 6K elevation). Every time I drive down I'm amazed at the climate difference. I'd say we're pretty socked-in with winter up in my neck of the woods until at least May. In March it definitely "starts" getting consistently warmer up here with noticeably longer days but we get some wicked spring snow storms intermittently during March, April, and May.... that can be expected. From March until the end of May it is a real mixed bag up here. Have to be prepared for anything if backcountry/highcountry exploring during those months.
johnnybravo300
We snowmobile in and out in the winter usually right up until the first week of April. Then it's mud season for a week or two. Sure is nice when the road is useable again!
That's at 9000 ft just west of the divide below monarch.
Taylor park and areas higher like that could take another month and that's if you can even cross the water crossings to access areas in the back country.
Some shady areas never melt.
swizz
QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Feb 15 2016, 05:49 PM) *
Some shady areas never melt.

So true! Another consideration for planning a trip is east-facing slopes of the divide are typically about a month ahead of west-facing in terms of thaw. That's a generalization though and there are exceptions. Colorado is a mixed bag in the springtime!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.