Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metal Detecting
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Treasure Hunting and Metal Detecting
TWA
:D Well where do I start.

We departed for our annual prospecting trip on the 23-7-04 and arrive in Leonora on the 25th to find that the area had received a great deal of rain, yuck. mad.gif

This meant we had to stay in the caravan park for the next two days while we worked out how we were going to reach our destination without getting bogged.

A test run was made to the area of Redcastle where we were greeted with sheets of water on both sides of the roads and prospects looked dim. :(

It was with great difficulity that we reached our proposed campsite and met up with our old prospecting friend " Joe Smith".

Joe suggested that we meet him on the 27th at 1.00 pm along the Haul Road and he would guide us along suitable tracks that could be travelled towing the caravans. rolleyes.gif

So it was on the 27th that we were able to actually set up base camp at Redcastle, and by 3.00 pm camp had been set up and detecting commenced. By 5.15 pm Hazel had found a half a gram piece, Ken Parry a friend who had joined us had found 2 fly-sh#ts for half a gram, alas I missed out. mad.gif

Over the next two weeks small pieces were being picked up but the biggest found was a seven gram bit that yours truly detected and Hazel was looking down the barrel on this bet I had with Gat. laugh.gif

As the 11th of August was fast approaching and we had arranged to meet with another friend in Leonora we started to pack up so that we could then proceed to our next detecting area East of Wiluna approximately 300 klms further North.

I have, I hope successfully incuded a pic of our departure and first camp along with a pic of what we found for the trip and will continue with more of this sorry tale in the weeks to come so bear with me. :P

Until the next segment,

Cheers,

TWA. ph34r.gif
TWA
huh.gif Lets hope this pic turns out.
TWA
:D Well I got that one to work so heres the one of our camp at Redcastle.
TWA
WOW, Thats two lets try for a third. rolleyes.gif

This one is a pic of our total find for this trip, 53 pieces for a grand total of 63 grams. wacko.gif
ME CO
Trevor I found more pieces than that just not as big LOL. Mark P.S. Camping in the rain sucks huh?
Denise
Looks like you had a great time. :)
Thanks for sharing the pics TWA. :D ;)

And its good to have you home.
:)
TWA
B)
Well here we go again for part two of this segment.

But firstly thanks Mark and Denise for the welcome back. :D

Where I last left off we were going to meet up with a Ranger friend in Leonora before proceeding onto Wiluna a further 300 klms North.

We all refurbish our supplies and refilled our water tanks and then proceeded to obtain gas refills but unfortunately the Gas Depot was unattended so we were unable to top up with gas to ensure our beer was going to be kept cold in the fridge, so it was decided that we would refill at Lenister 170 Klm up the road.

At Lenister we all refilled our gas cylinders then headed off for Wiluna 130 Klms North.

Arriving at Wiluna we once again top up the fuel tanks before heading due East 129 klms to Lorna Glen Station where it had been arranged for us to set up camp near the old Homestead.

We arrived at the Homestead at approximately 7.30 pm to find that the area had been taken over with scientists from all over the world doing field research into there various fields of interest.

Seeing that all available space around the Homestead was taken up they suggested that we set up camp near the dissused airstrip about 1 klm away.

At 6.00 am the next morning the group leader turned up at our camp and requested that we dont use the tracks as they had brushed the tracks to see what animals had crossed during the night. As this was going to curtail our activities it was decided to pack up and head back into Wiluna , refuel and find an alternative route to the area we wanted to explore for new aluvial areas.

We returned to Wiluna refueled and headed off towards the Gunbarrel Hwy and finally had our camp set up by 1300 hrs. We then all headed off in different directions to try and locate some nuggets.

When I got back to camp Hazel informed me that she had met up with bloke along the track who was a dogger,( Person who traps Dingoes ) and that his name was Murray and that he was originally from Tasmainia, and that he may call back later and camp with us.

Sure enough Murray arrived just on sunset and we sat around the campfire discussing his type of work and consumming a large quantity of homemade Sambooka that Ken makes,and let me tell you it has a kick like a mule.

The next morniing we awoke to find that Marray had left to check his traps at first light, about 4.30 am as he said he wouldnt disturb us in the morning when he left.

That day we all spread out and searched for nuggets and on returning for lunch we compared notes only to find that Steve was the only one to locate a 2 gram specie in ironstone. Steve indicated that it was found in virgin ground and that he had the location locked in his GPS. So after lunch we all headed over to Steves new found patch only to find that he had failed to save the location on the GPS. The rest of the day was spent searching for the location of this elusive patch of ground.

A further four days was spent detecting this area with no results, so it was decided that we would pack up and leave first thing in the morning and try our luck at a place called Mt Eureka, 50 Klms South.

I will post three more pics, 2 of Wiluna that consist of the Pub and township, only thing not included is the 2 stores, and believe me thats all there is to the town of Wiluna. The next pic is one of three that I took of the Sturt Desert Pea, I will add the other 2 pics of the Sturt Desert Pea, (Swainsona formosa) at a later date.

So until then cheers,

TWA ph34r.gif
TWA
:o
Township of Wiluna minus the two stores and pub, dont blink when you drive past or you will miss it. :)
TWA
rolleyes.gif
This is the Stuart Desert Pea one of three pics taken, will include the other two at a later date. ph34r.gif
TWA
laugh.gif Part III. Now where did I leave off. Thats right we were heading off to the area of Mt Eureka.

Heading South along the road to Wongawol Station until we came to the windmill known as Doyles Bore, there we turned off up a track to the Mt Eureka Mining Group (abandoned). We soon had our camp set up and commenced detecting the area adjacent to our camp.

This area had been well done over in the past so it was decided that the next day we would try the surrounding area 3 miles to the west of camp.

The next day we spread out to cover as much new ground as we could, but after 2 hours of fruitless beeping I returned to the vehicle only to find that my good wife Hazel had popped a small piece on flats just below a greenstone outcrop.

By the end of the day Steve had found 2 small nuggets, Ken 1, Hazel 3 and seeing I was the only one chaining I had popped 4 small nuggies in the area where Hazel had found her first one.

After spending a week in this area Steve indicated that he was missing his wife too much and decided that he was going home via Kalgoolie, where he might try his luck there for a couple of days while visiting his brother in law.

So the next day we all packed up, leaving the area that was still producing small nuggets, but they will still be there for some future trip to that area. rolleyes.gif

Steve headed North to Wiluna to refuel and we continued South to the area known as Mt Fisher, where I had heard of large nuggets having been found in the past.

By noon we had arrived and had set up camp and the beeping continued.
Two days of not finding gold soon had us packed up and heading further South to an area known as Freemans Find.

It was about ten years ago that I had found a patch in this area and I was hoping that with new and better detectors we just might just do alright at Freemans.

On the way to Freemans much of the roadside was dotted with beautiful displays of wildflowers along with the brilliant Stuart Desert Peas.

We arrive at Freemans, set up camp, and with great anticipation head straight to my old patch only to find that the word had got out, and others had been since and the whole area had been graded. The next day we went to other areas I knew of only to find that these too had been graded, chained and thrashed to death. mad.gif

A whole week was wasted there and Hazel was the only one to find gold and that was a nice Quartz specie containing 4 grams of gold. <_<

Well thats it until next segment so I have included another 3 pics for you.

So until then Cheers,

TWA ph34r.gif
TWA
This pic is one of the Quartz flats we tried at Mt Eureka.
TWA
This pic is one of the Bungarra ( Varanus giganteus) also known as the racehorse goanna.
TWA
This pic was taken from our camp at Freemans Find and we are looking East towards the old Patch that was found 10 years ago. The patch was just below the hill in the distance about 1 mile away.
TWA
PART IV :D

Let me see, Thats right. It was a wasted week that we spent at Freemans Find, except for the nice specie that Hazel found, so I questioned Ken as to where his sister in law had found her two pieces out from Laverton. <_<

As Ken had informed me that on a previous trip she had found 2 pieces on her first outing and the area hadn't been thrashed. :)

So once again we packed up and headed towards Laverton about a days drive away to the South East of us. B)

When we arrived in Laverton we refueled and then headed due South of Laverton till we came to the Mt Weld turn off and then headed east along a narrow track until Ken reckoned we were in the general area of where his sister in law had picked up her first two pieces. :)

Camp was struck, and although it was nearly dark we gave the area adjacent to camp a quick flick before having our evening meal. Yep we struck out, but we were getting used to this happening. :(

The next two days were spent combing the area where Ken thought the pieces were picked up ,but this was to no avail, still no shining yellow stuff. mad.gif

Well it was decided that we would then try further afield and look at some new country, this we did. Each day for a week and still no nuggies, and I was starting to wonder why we left areas earlier that were producing small nuggets each day, but thats the way it is I guess. unsure.gif

But we tried lots of areas and saw wild brumbies (horses), lots of old mining areas that had potential but only if we had more time. The area around Burtville showed lots of potential and the area east of this, but that will be another time. ;)

Now it was time to pack up and head back to Redcastle from where it all started from, as we had promised that we would be back there for Old Joes 73rd Birthday and we were going to throw a party for the old boy. ;)

As it was getting close to the 6th of September, Joe"s Birthday we decided to pack up and head out towards Redcastle that was 79 Klms to the South. :)

I have included some more pics of the area around Laverton, I hope you enjoy lookig at them.

Cheers until the next segment.

TWA ph34r.gif
TWA
The previous pic was aluvial area around Mt weld, and this pic is the one showing the wild Brumbies (horses) that were roaming the area near our camp.

Its a shame to think that these will be shot for pet meat if found by the professional Shooters.
TWA
This pic shows old headframe over shaft at Burtsville
TWA
Hey isn't this great Im now into my second page. rolleyes.gif

The next pic is one of my better half (Hazel) inspecting old mining camp at Mt Weld.
TWA
And finally for this segment here is pic of old truck that had been used as a whinch near the Burtville Diggings.
TWA
Headframe over old shaft
TWA
Well here we go for Part V. :D

We left Laverton and headed back to Redcastle from where we first started out, with an optimistic outlook for those elusive nuggets. :)

Arriving back at Redcastle and setting up camp on Noels Lease we quickly set off to continue chaining from where we left off from.

I found one small 2 grammer and Hazel and ken weren't so lucky. I told Ken to continue chaining above from where he had left off, and sure enough he picked up a 1 gram piece. ;)

The next day I suggested we try a place where Ken and the group tried the year before, we were detecting right on top of there old camp site and not more than 15 feet from where they had there old camp fire and I got a nice beep, so I dug down and uncovered a nice 3 grammer about 5 inches down. When I showed Ken, he said that that was the piece he lost and couldnt believe he had missed it. <_<

Over the next week or so we tried numerous places , some old and some new with varying degrees of hit and miss. we tried Oldfields, Pikes Hollow, Pennyweight and Yundermindra, they all produced some nuggets but alas, only small ones. mellow.gif

While at Redcastle, " Joe Smith" who is the Old identity from the area, ex-axeman from Tasmainia and now Old time prospector was due to have his 73rd Birthday, so we had decided to hold a Birthday Party for the old codger.

So Ken and Hazel went all out and prepared a lavish spread of horsd'oeuvre,dips and nibblies for starters, along with a main course of Spaghetti bolognaise and to finished off with Sweets , this being rice cream, jelly and fruit. My part in all this was to knock up a fresh loaf of bread and to prepare the birthday cake. :D

Yes this was all carried out in the middle of nowhere and we did ourselves proud, all we needed now was for Old Joe to turn up on time. huh.gif

Well Old Joe was taken aback when he saw what we had done for him. When It came to bringing out the birthday cake, he asked Hazel, Hey Missus am I spose to blow all the candles out in one breath. Hazel replied, yes Joe. After he had done the deed he informed us that this was the first birthday party and cake that he
ever had, with a little hint of tears in his eyes. unsure.gif

He later informed us, that he could remember once when he was a kid, of his mother making a christmas pudding and hanging it in the rafters to age before Christmas. So we all felt real good that this birthday was so special for him. :)

Well I will leave it for now, as there are a few experiences that I would like to tell later, I have included a few pics of Joes Birthday Party.

From the left is Hazel, Steve, who is a professional detectorist whom we first met when we were at Mount Eureka, and a friend of Old Joes, Old Joe Smith, and Ken Parry. This was the nibblies spread.
TWA
This one is is yours truly cutting up the fresh loaf of bread , with Steve grabbing a second helping of spagghetti bog with old Joe in the back ground.
TWA
And this is the one of the Birthday Cake, Yes Joe did blow out all the candles but as it turned out they were sparkling candles, once blown out they re-light again. laugh.gif

So here I am trying to take them off before they melt the fresh cream covering the cake.
TWA
I just thought I would throw this one in for good measure.

Here we have from the left, Harry Smith, and Old Joe Smith. Harry, Joes brother came to visit Joe not long after we held the party for Joe. Both these gentlemen were axemen falling timber in Tasmainia in there younger days.

Harry is 72 and Joe as we now know is 73.
TWA
Part VI.

Well in the last segment I mentioned that we tried an area known as Pennyweight Point and Pikes Hollow, that was about 26 klms South East of Redcastle, where we had set up base camp. :)

This was a day trip only and we hoped to pick up some nuggets in areas where we had previously tried before in the past. :D

By travelling 7 klms to the East, we pick up the old haul road then travel South for about 19 klms when we came to the area known as Pennyweight Point. This is now a disused mining camp and has numerous diggings in the area along with large areas of old dry blowings. We firstly inspected the old camp and I managed to pick up some rock specimens, (rubble) that I had promised Denise I would collect for her. wub.gif

After looking around we then proceeded to head due East for about 6 klms where you then come to the area known as Pikes Hollow. It was here we tried for about 3 hours for little return. This area has produced some nice crystal gold in the past along with some nice sized nuggets. mellow.gif

It looked like another barren day for us all, so seeing as it was getting close to dusk we decided to head back to camp. On the way back to camp we noticed some other prospectors trying just below the old Pennyweight Camp, so in the good old aussie tradition we stoped to say g-day and see how they were fairing.

There were two of them, and they had been camped there for about a week and were picking up lots of pickers, 2 and 3 to the gram but had managed to find almost an ounce for the week. unsure.gif

We then left wishing them good hunting so it was back to camp to get in the nights supply of firewood. ^_^

Well thats all for this segment, but I leave you with two pictures of the area between Pikes Hollow and Pennyweight Point. The pictures dont do this area justice as the colours change under different light conditions, but this is the best I could do seeing that it was late in the afternoon. Hazel always wants to visit this area as she thinks it would be a nice place to be buried when she dies, ( perish the thought). Also in the imediate area I have found gold nuggets in the past. :D

So untill the next segment cheers. TWA ph34r.gif
TWA
And for the second pic of Pikes Hollow.
TWA
[B]PART VII.

While camped at Redcastle we conducted day trips to areas visited in the past on the off chance that we may pick up nuggies that we had missed on previous trips.
One of these trips were to the areas known as Christmas Gift and UFO. ;)

It was at Christmas Gift that on the day previous that I beeped a small 1 grammer so it was decided that Hazel, Ken and I would try around this area and see how we went. mellow.gif

Alas same old story, we must have covered this area pretty well previously as no nuggets were picked up. :(

But while I was there and swinging along all of a sudden there was a flash of red right in front of me, then I saw a small Firetail Finch rolling and flapping its wings to make out she was injured, straight away I realized she was using this ploy to lure me away from her nest so I decided to see where its nest was. I backtracked to where she shot up in front of me and checked out a low lying shrub that was only 18 inches off the ground, and there it was. I parted the branches and three small eggs layed deposited. So I took a pic of these and then tried to photograph her but she was determined to stay away hoping that I would leave the nesting site. I have included a pic of the nest and the elusive Finch, but is hard to see in the photograph. wacko.gif

So after photographs were taken we proceeded on to an area a couple of klms away that is know as UFO. It was here that I had located a rich reef 10 years previously and lost due to, loose lips sinks ships. But I wont go into that here as I would prefer to put that episode back into the memory bank and not make the same mistake again. mad.gif

But still the same old story, another dry day without a nugget being found. It was as we were leaving this area than "Ken" still a big kid at heart decided to cut loose and spread a bit of a dust cloud by driving around in a circle. By the evidence I have included, by way of a couple of pics, you can see how red the dirt is. You can imagine what my mate Noel would look like after a day of Dry Blowing in this area. :D

Well this is all for this segment but keep watching this space for idividual day reports in this location.

Cheers, TWA ph34r.gif

First pic is of the Firetail Finches Nest.
TWA
This is the Picture if you can see it, of the Firetail finch. Look for it on the top of the right hand dead branch, like I was saying earlier, quite elusive as she was trying to lure me away from her nest.
TWA
And the next two pics depict how my mate Ken is still a kid at heart. I spose this is the only time he can get to spin the tyres in a diesel vehicle. laugh.gif
TWA
And by the amount of dust you can imagine how my mate Noel would look after a day of Dry Blowing for gold in this sort of dirt.
TWA
Part VIII

Well here we go again ,the day trip this time is out to a place called Yundermindra. huh.gif

The diggings in this area is mostly assocciated with porpheries and by the size of this area it was quite rich as there was a 5 head Stamp Battery errected here. unsure.gif

Hazel Ken and myself set off full of anticipation as I had heard of this place but never visited it even tho it was only 12 Klms South of Redcastle. huh.gif

We set off about 9.00 am and arrived there at 9.30 am as we were informed earlier that there is quite a few areas that were worth looking at. we spent the next 3 hours just driving around to gauge the area. In one area just off the beaten track there was a line of diggings that I decided to walk over too and check out the shafts to see what depth that the old timers had dug too. mellow.gif

It was in one of these shafts that when I looked into it there was a goat that had fallen in and couldnt get out. I would normally have got out the gun and put it out of its misery but unfortunately I had Hazel with me and Hazel being an animal lover put the pressure on me to save it. :(

Well here I am trying to lasso this dang thing with a bit of old rope that I had in the car, but each time I threw the lasso the rotten thing would duck under the ledge. So the next step was to find an old dead tree somewhere and try an get down to save it. This was done but in trying to climb down the tree slipped and I managed to not fall in myself. :D

The next step was to find a long stick and hang the loop over fork and try and get this @#@@#@ goat to place its head in. Well after about 3/4 of an hour spent trying to save this @#@# goat we finally got it around the neck and hauled it to safety. Then with me holding it and Hazel trying to give it some water as it looked like it had been down there for about 5 days, and was just dang lucky that I had decided to check out the old shafts or otherwise it would have perished. :D

Well after doing our good deed for the day It was decided that we would try around this line of shafts and see if we would be rewarded. After about 2 hours and nothing but rubbish being found we decided to give it away for the day.

Even tho we found no gold for the day it was worth looking around, as this area holds some great potential for the next time we are in this area.

I will finish this segment with some pictures of #@##@# Goat that we saved along with some pictures of the 5 head stamp battery that was in the area.

So until the next segment, Cheers and enjoy the pics. TWA ph34r.gif
TWA
This one shows the Goat in shaft
TWA
This is the pic of me trying to lasso @#@##@ goat
TWA
One of four photos of the Old 5 Head Stamp Mill at Yundermindra.
TWA
This is the second one of Old Stamp Mill at Yundermindra.
TWA
This one shows the old engine for stamp mill.
TWA
And last but not least another showing Stamp Mill.
TWA
Here are two more pics from the yundermindra area.

This one shows some more diggings from this area.
TWA
This one is of an old relic from a long forgotten era.
cornwall84
Been going through some of the old posts and this ones well worth a look, great stories with excellent pics.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.