Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some of my mineral finds
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
Auger
As I get more pictures I will post more of the stuff I have. Like the rest of you, I have buckets and tubs of minerals laying every which where, and I don't even know what I have sometimes until I pull it out!

Click to view attachment

Here is a combo Milky/Cloudy Quartz and Amazonite. Chipped. =/

Click to view attachment

Nice specimen of Amazonite on Hematite

Click to view attachment

Amazonite on Smoky Quartz

Click to view attachment

Small piece of vivid blue Amazonite
Auger
Click to view attachment

I think this is a banded agate.

Click to view attachment

Copper on Smoky Quartz

Click to view attachment

Fluorite and Quartz on Pegmatite that needs to be cleaned up.

Click to view attachment

Geothite on Smoky Quartz Point
Auger
Click to view attachment

Some kind of tailings rock with microscopic gold in it. (so im told)

Click to view attachment

Onegite on Pegmatite

Click to view attachment

Cant really tell, but there are black tracings on this piece of Amazonite that give it a really neat texture. Very hard to capture on camera.

Click to view attachment

This is the total amount of gold I have found thus far in colorado. The top two pieces were originally one piece, found when I pulverized some milky quartz. The rest were from some sand I dug out from beneath a boulder that I supposed was an ancient stream bed. I guess I was right, because I found all those little specks in one cat litter bucket worth of sand I frantically dug with my hands. I dont even remotely remember where that could have been. =(
swizz
Some great looking stuff there! I especially like the Geothite on Quartz.... and the Fluorite & Quartz on Pegmatite specimens. signs021.gif
Crusty
cool assortment of stuff!!
MikeS
Nice finds Auger! I like the goethite and fluorite combos too. Awesome. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
nate
Thanks for the pictures! Love seeing your finds. Hopefully I'll have some good pictures to post soon. On the hunt for some good amazonite.
Auger
You're welcome! Keep in mind too, that as I take these pictures it is the first time I have seen some of these. Some have been sitting in vinegar for months, some have been in varying concentrations of acid for even more varying degrees of time, and most of the others are still caked in the oxides. Im not a professional so im just going to call it rust.

Feel free to correct me on any of these minerals. I am not an expert, they are just what I have found them to be after researching on my own. I would like to know what something is if I have been mis-identifying it

Click to view attachment

Piece of Limestone or something with a cool looking Calcite or Quartz vent.

Click to view attachment

I couldn't get a good picture of this. There is pegmatite on both sides, the edge of a seam. Like the end of a pita pocket. This isnt cleaned so it's hard to tell but theres Quartz and Fluorite crystals in there.

Click to view attachment

Smoky Quartz point that has deteriorated on the point and broken down to a coating of iron pyrite.

Click to view attachment

A takeout container filled with stuff that needs to be cleaned in SIO

Click to view attachment

Some volcanic Scoria from the eight mile area

Click to view attachment

Piece of Fossilized Wood from the same area

Click to view attachment

Volcanic Ash from eight mile area

Click to view attachment

Volcanic Ash plus Calcite from eight mile area

Click to view attachment

Here is a pile of better grade Smoky Quartz crystals, not the best and small.

Click to view attachment

Pictures dont do it justice but a small really nice Smoky Quartz point

Auger
Click to view attachment

Hard to tell from this picture, but this is Pegmatite with Amazonite, Milky Quartz, Smoky Quartz, Amethyst, Fluorite, Pyrite, and Mica. *whew*

And for Nate:

Click to view attachment

Some lower grade Amazonite that needs to go into the SIO

Click to view attachment

Small Amazonite pile

Auger
Forgot about the Hematites!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That's all of those.

Click to view attachment

And some Iron Pyrite in Quartz

Click to view attachment

Petrified Brie Cheese? What is this?

nate
"And for nate" ----thank you! what a gentleman.

great pictures once again. i think with winter here, we will see a lot more pictures of clean finds.

On the last one, my vote is definitely cheese! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
MikeS
QUOTE (Auger @ Nov 29 2015, 11:04 AM) *
Feel free to correct me on any of these minerals. I am not an expert, they are just what I have found them to be after researching on my own. I would like to know what something is if I have been mis-identifying it

Nice selection of finds Auger!

I am not an expert either but I have a few possible corrections for you:

Banded Agate= If this was found in the volcanic area then it could be opal.

Copper on Quartz= It is unlikely to be copper on there but it looks similar to the mica inclusions/coatings that I find on some of the pockets I have found.

Limestone= If the rock is limestone then it should bubble in vinegar and make SIO bubble more than usual. Not sure what the vein is but the star shape is cool.

Volcanic Ash= Ash is usually light grey. That looks like volcanic Basalt with Zeolites. Looks like you have several of the zeolite minerals on there. Calcite can form in the zeolites as well.

Hematite= Hematite pseudomorph after Siderite. Siderite likely formed first making the tilted block shape of the crystals, then Hematite came into the system and replaced it. This is somewhat common for the iron bearing minerals to replace each other. (goethite, hematite, siderite...)

Iron Pyrite= I don't see any pyrite in the pic but the black block looks like it could be a Columbite-Tantalite crystal. Which shows up in the pegmatite areas.

Petrified Brie Cheese= Chalcedony.
Auger
QUOTE (MikeS @ Dec 1 2015, 06:02 PM) *
Nice selection of finds Auger!

I am not an expert either but I have a few possible corrections for you:

Banded Agate= If this was found in the volcanic area then it could be opal.

Copper on Quartz= It is unlikely to be copper on there but it looks similar to the mica inclusions/coatings that I find on some of the pockets I have found.

Limestone= If the rock is limestone then it should bubble in vinegar and make SIO bubble more than usual. Not sure what the vein is but the star shape is cool.

Volcanic Ash= Ash is usually light grey. That looks like volcanic Basalt with Zeolites. Looks like you have several of the zeolite minerals on there. Calcite can form in the zeolites as well.

Hematite= Hematite pseudomorph after Siderite. Siderite likely formed first making the tilted block shape of the crystals, then Hematite came into the system and replaced it. This is somewhat common for the iron bearing minerals to replace each other. (goethite, hematite, siderite...)

Iron Pyrite= I don't see any pyrite in the pic but the black block looks like it could be a Columbite-Tantalite crystal. Which shows up in the pegmatite areas.

Petrified Brie Cheese= Chalcedony.

Wow thanks you're good at identifying them and I feel sheepish I mis-identified too many. I can't edit my posts >.> heh. The banded agate may have come from eight mile area but it was found in stream gravels. Chalcedony! Oh man it looks like Brie so now I am going to associate the two.
johnnybravo300
Nice man, looks like you had a good summer. I'm partial to amazonite too. Its so pretty right out of the ground. It's one of my favorites to go after in teller county. I'm hoping soon to have super secret insider info on a lapis lazuli spot I can gain entry to. I don't know if I could handle the awesomeness!!
johnnybravo300
Some Teller county finds.
Auger
QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Dec 5 2015, 10:23 PM) *
Some Teller county finds.

Yeah those pics are great! Anywhere I can find Amazonite I love it. Bigger chunks are better obviously, but hearing about mining up some Lapis Lazuli would make my head spin. I am really partial to the blue-greens.

That last picture; I have seen lots of rocks with pockets in them like this, but I cant do anything but beat on that Pikes Peak granite with futility.
Crusty
QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Dec 5 2015, 09:48 PM) *
N. I'm hoping soon to have super secret insider info on a lapis lazuli spot I can gain entry to. I don't know if I could handle the awesomeness!!

THat would be pretty cool! Bought and sold a bunch of Lapis while in Afghanistan; awesome stuff!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.