Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Biggest Diamond in 100 years Found!
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
Diamond Digger
Second biggest diamond ever found..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-34867929

WOW.. lol
Crusty
whoa! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
swizz
Now that's some ice!
Liz Taylor is drooling in her grave.
ASTROBLEME
The diamond was collected from the Karowe Mine that is located midway between two impact craters in Botswana. I am not at all surprised by this and it is further evidence to consider when prospecting for diamonds.
Take for instance the location of a similar multi-ring-dike structure (Virginia Dale) that is near the former Kelsey Lake diamond mine where significantly large gemstones have been produced. This is more support for my strong opinion that hyper-velocity impacts bring diamond bearing mantle to the Earth's surface.

Here's my Google Earth map of the location...

Click to view attachment
MikeS
Wow that is a monster diamond! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I agree with your theory ASTROBLEME. After doing a bunch of research and reading about the State Line District (I have not had a chance to go there yet) my brother and I concluded that a large impact likely caused the rings and the diamond bearing material to come to the surface. Have you seen any other evidence of an impact crater, like shocked quartz or other signs?
Auger
Being that big, if you put it up to your cheek, would it be really cold to the touch?
ASTROBLEME
QUOTE (MikeS @ Nov 20 2015, 03:51 PM) *
Wow that is a monster diamond! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I agree with your theory ASTROBLEME. After doing a bunch of research and reading about the State Line District (I have not had a chance to go there yet) my brother and I concluded that a large impact likely caused the rings and the diamond bearing material to come to the surface. Have you seen any other evidence of an impact crater, like shocked quartz or other signs?

Mike,

I haven't had access into the central core area where evidence should still remain. This is a very old structure and highly eroded so the central core may be the best bet for collecting shatter cones or tektite specimens.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.