Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glen cove
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
nate
Does anyone know anything about the glen cove area on pikes peak? All i have found is that its an atra around the cliffs of pikes that smokies, amazonite, and topaz hsvr been found. (From peak to peak) Labelled as a place for people with technical climbing experience. Sounds like the place for me! I've seen some stuff about Glen cove creek elsewhere, but that's about it.
swizz
Hi Nate, I'm not at all familiar with that area. If your location in question is on National Forest or BLM managed land there's a good chance that you can find a legal place to prospect. Just have to go through a few steps of checking the land status, (claims, private, etc ) and you'd be good to go, we can help you with that process if needed. Hopefully someone else will chine in that knows more about the area. Sounds adventurous!
NewRockHounder
I too, know nothing of this. But you peaked... no pun intended, happy112.gif my winter research endeavors. research.gif

I might know a thing er two by Spring. happy088.gif

Colin
nate
It was first prospected by ed over. Apparently he rappelled some of the cliffs and dug topaz right out of the side. Also found some other stuff about people finding topaz in glen cove creek.
nate
Im going to add this in this thread because its still in the pikes peak vicinity. (actual mountain, not batholith) My wife and I went up around gold camp road exploring today. The mountain actually wasnt too bad covered with snow, but it was still very windy. More specifically, we were trying to locate any old/new pegmatites around gold camp road. Not to dig, but just learning more about what to look for when it comes to pegs. Because of the weather, we didnt do any real exploring, but we did find the huge tunnel right where gold camp road meets, old stage road. Gold camp road is closed past there, but there is a huge tunnel (at least 20x20 feet and 150 feet long that appears to have been from an old pegmatite vein right where the roads meet. Im not sure what was mined there, but there are definitely remains of pegmatite heading into the walls and ceiling. It looks more recently to have only contained high schoolers sneaking away to drink bud light. Anyone familiar with the area around cheyenne mountain? Im super curious because that area is only about 30 minutes from where i live. Made for a great after-work adventure.
NewRockHounder
According to PeaktoPeak.com " This location's collecting and accessibility status is currently unknown, so please ask for permission locally before doing any digging or collecting." And " Located in the cliffs of Pikes Peak, this collecting area should be left to only the bravest and most technically gifted rock climbers. " research.gif happy088.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.