Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Random questions
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
aggum1983
Hello all, i had a couple random questions. What is the difference between a lode claim and a placer claim? Also, considering all research is done and someone decides to prospect an area that is currently open to the public, can they keep whatever they find and are you only allowed to prospect an area that you are actively interested in claiming? When you decide to stake a claim, how much does it usually cost and who does that cost go to? One more thing, the LR2000 is a bit confusing to me actually a lot. Is there a crash course on how to understand what you are looking at?

Thanks as always for the info, and sorry for all the random questions at once.
Adam
swizz
I shall do my best....

What is the difference between a lode claim and a placer claim?
A placer claim is for the recovery of placer or surface deposits. These deposits are generally remnants of a lode or glacier that have traveled via Earth's forces, erosion, etc. A lode claim is typically underground and accessed by tunneling. Lode claims are typically based on recovery of Gold which is still in it's matrix or vein underground.

... considering all research is done and someone decides to prospect an area that is currently open to the public, can they keep whatever they find?
Yes.

... are you only allowed to prospect an area that you are actively interested in claiming?
No, you don't have to be committed to staking a claim in order to prospect and collect.

When you decide to stake a claim, how much does it usually cost and who does that cost go to?
In the ballpark of $212 if I recall correctly but this can be verified easily at the BLM site. There are also County Clerk/Recorder filing fees which vary per County, not much for those fees. Annual maintenance fees for your claim are: your choice: 1. Maintenance Fee - Pay only $10 and provide proof of improvement work done each year. OR 2. Maintenance Fee Waiver - Pay $155 and have no worries of work audit complications. (I prefer option 2 for my claims). I do not know where the money goes once the Feds cash the check.

One more thing, the LR2000 is a bit confusing to me actually a lot. Is there a crash course on how to understand what you are looking at?
Yes... we all struggle with this program but it is navigable. It depends on exactly what infomation you are trying to extract. The only thing that I use LR for is "Run Mining Report"... this will list Active and Closed mines for the MTRS data that you enter. From there a trip to the County Clerk/Recorder is necessary to determine physical claim boundary information.
aggum1983
QUOTE (swizz @ Nov 7 2015, 01:07 PM) *
I shall do my best....

What is the difference between a lode claim and a placer claim?
A placer claim is for the recovery of placer or surface deposits. These deposits are generally remnants of a lode or glacier that have traveled via Earth's forces, erosion, etc. A lode claim is typically underground and accessed by tunneling. Lode claims are typically based on recovery of Gold which is still in it's matrix or vein underground.

... considering all research is done and someone decides to prospect an area that is currently open to the public, can they keep whatever they find?
Yes.

... are you only allowed to prospect an area that you are actively interested in claiming?
No, you don't have to be committed to staking a claim in order to prospect and collect.

When you decide to stake a claim, how much does it usually cost and who does that cost go to?
In the ballpark of $212 if I recall correctly but this can be verified easily at the BLM site. There are also County Clerk/Recorder filing fees which vary per County, not much for those fees. Annual maintenance fees for your claim are: your choice: 1. Maintenance Fee - Pay only $10 and provide proof of improvement work done each year. OR 2. Maintenance Fee Waiver - Pay $155 and have no worries of work audit complications. (I prefer option 2 for my claims). I do not know where the money goes once the Feds cash the check.

One more thing, the LR2000 is a bit confusing to me actually a lot. Is there a crash course on how to understand what you are looking at?
Yes... we all struggle with this program but it is navigable. It depends on exactly what infomation you are trying to extract. The only thing that I use LR for is "Run Mining Report"... this will list Active and Closed mines for the MTRS data that you enter. From there a trip to the County Clerk/Recorder is necessary to determine physical claim boundary information.

Thank you for the info Swizz. I appreciate it.
swizz
My pleasure Adam! Myself and others here are ALWAYS happy to help people in their research efforts, especially when it comes to land status. As a claims owner I salute you for taking the time to do this. Please ask any other questions along the way if you get stuck.
MikeS
Hi Adam. I think I can add a bit of info for your questions.
Placer vs Lode. Lode is vein or deposit of in place rock and/or minerals that are in the place they formed. Placer is the loose material that has eroded from the hard rock. A good example is the gold panner that is working gravels in the river would be working a placer deposit. If the panner went up the mountain and found the source vein in hard rock then he has found the lode.
It is your right to prospect Federal Public lands that are open for mineral entry. You don't need to ask permission. If you are just doing it for fun then there is no need to stake a claim. Just make sure you are not on a active claim. If you want to sell your finds or protect a location then you may think about staking a claim.
Claim costs. At the county office I paid $11.25 to file my claim. My friend paid $6 in a different county. BLM costs $155 maintenance fee(first one cannot be waived) + $37 Location fee + $20 Processing fee = $212
LR2000- I am going to try and make some posts to serve as a LR tutorial. I have been saying that for a while just have not done it.

Hope this helps!
aggum1983
Thank you both for the info. That is very helpful. I had no idea that it was reasonably priced like that. I thought it would be in the thousands. That definitely makes me more interested in filing my own claim sometime. I look forward to the tutorial.
johnnybravo300
Good luck figuring out the lr2000. I've tried to use it numerous times for Gunnison county and teller where Ive been digging the last few years.
I don't know if the lr2000 is accurate or if it even works. The blm told me they aren't responsible if its not up to date or inaccurate so what's the point? You can't ever tell if your on a claim if its not marked so its pretty rediculous anyway. Its a guessing game. Id never dig on a marked or obvious claim but I do take my chances most of the time I feel like. There's just no easy way to know where is OK to dig. The best I can do is check around the area for markers. It's worked well so far. It's more info than I can get from the blm ha-ha.
MikeS
QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Nov 22 2015, 09:26 AM) *
Good luck figuring out the lr2000. I've tried to use it numerous times for Gunnison county and teller where Ive been digging the last few years.
I don't know if the lr2000 is accurate or if it even works. The blm told me they aren't responsible if its not up to date or inaccurate so what's the point? You can't ever tell if your on a claim if its not marked so its pretty rediculous anyway. Its a guessing game. Id never dig on a marked or obvious claim but I do take my chances most of the time I feel like. There's just no easy way to know where is OK to dig. The best I can do is check around the area for markers. It's worked well so far. It's more info than I can get from the blm ha-ha.

Your right jb300, LR is not completely accurate. I have found inaccurate info on the reports a few times in my research. It takes a bit to get used to it but it is a very useful tool when you get the hang of it. Internet and LR2000 are new technologies. There is always the good ol' fashion way to do research and double check the info you are getting by going to the proper gov. offices. Checking for posts/claim markers is an important step to the process but if that is the only research you are doing then it is less accurate then LR2000 by itself. There is no laws in CO that require upkeep on signs or posts after the claim is filed. Many claims do not have any markers left on the surface but are still active. You can tell if you are on a claim or not once you do the proper research.
aggum1983
What are rules regarding road cuts? There is usually a fence or barrier around 10 feet off the road, but as far as the area between the fence and the road who owns that area?
Denise
Great question! That area is owned by the property owner because easements don't transfer ownership. research.gif info_grin.gif
Sorry or the delayed answer! I hope this helps some.

Denise
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.